1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Pam's Dream

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Isn't it? When Rebecca and then Catherine came to Dallas, it was quite a seismic shift: Cliff was no longer the david against a goliath: he could use the might of the Wentworth empire. And instead of sparring but loving Pam and Cliff, we had snake in the garden Catherine. The show also changed when Bobby decided he had to stop being "by the book" ethical to go against J.R. after Jock died (another change). When I read threads here, so many of these stories are loved by Dallas fans.
    The thing about these changes is that they were gradual and were believable. Unlike, say, Cliff Barnes turning into Stavro Blofeld with hair in the Cidre cartoon.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    Did you enjoy watching those 31 hours? If you did, it wasn't a waste.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?:D

4. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,469
    I’d pay money to see Bobby, recently flattened by an anvil, walking around expanding and contracting like an accordion

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Or Miss Ellie’s piano drops on her, and when she smiles, her teeth are now piano keys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    Medals:
    I think a lot of people confuse re-aligning the playing field to having the characters change personality - when a major character exits (be it Bobby or Pam or Sue Ellen), that's a perfect opportunity to change the positions and goals of characters. Unfortunately, most shows (not just Dallas) tends to opt for creating sub-par filler characters to take the space of those who have left instead and continue on with business as usual.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Chris2

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Good point, Tommie. What I always admired about “Cheers” is that they didn’t just bring in another waitress/love interest for Sam when Shelley Long (Diane) left. Instead, they shook things up: Sam sold the bar, and the new female lead was the manager of the bar, and Sam’s boss. In some ways, it was like a new show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:
    There is no reinvention that Dallas could have done to fill the hole left by VP leaving. None.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,220
    Medals:
    Which is why a recast would have been better than the revolving door of forgettable love interests.

10. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:
    Agreed. No one could ever fill VP's shoes, but a recast was better than a mummy.......

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +960
    I suspect that that irked both Larry Hagman & Patrick Duffy.

Especially since Victoria was able to have quite a successful career away from Dallas.

It probably irked Linda Gray as well for all we know, because I seem to remember stories that something went down on the Dallas: Return To Southfork documentary where some of the cast felt estranged against Victoria. They are only human after all. It's just a shame the old green eyed monster got in the way because of Victoria having such a great career outside of Dallas. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:
    I think Duffy, Gray, and especially Hagman were highly petty.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +960
    Plus the fans since the days of the internet began kept talking online about how her character of Pamela Barnes Ewing was so beloved.

That probably didn't go down too well either! A shame. :(

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:
    I’m sure that all three of them became apoplectic when continually asked (while TNT Dallas was airing), “Is Victoria Principal coming back?”

Lol!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +747
    I watched Return To Southfork yesterday and I thought they all came across very well - especially Victoria, she seemed so genuinely happy when talking with Patrick that it was infectious.

If there were some ill feelings towards her then I really don't understand why, she stayed with the show and promoted it for years - then felt it was time to go. I wonder if any of the cast deeply regret staying as it sunk lower and lower in the ratings after her departure?

I also wonder why they also seem to continually back the producers who sacked or recast so many actors - surely that was far more cruel than Victoria wishing to move on.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:
    There was a scene from that show in which VP mentioned that she felt like she was Jim Davis’ daughter, and Gray said, “That’s sweet...”. Man, IMHO, venom dropped off those words.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chris2

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Pam was the second most crucial character to the show after J.R. We saw the shenanigans of the Ewing family through her eyes. How could you lose that character without fundamentally changing the show for the worse?

Victoria came off very well in “Return to Southfork”. I don’t know what the other cast members’ problem is with her, but she pretty much only has nice things to say about her time on the show.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:
    They’re bitter because they will never be remembered for anything but the show and she was smart enough to branch out on a myriad amount of things both personal and professional. While they have to attended crappy reunions, she doesn’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    Dallas finally had competition that year as Miami Vice was put against it. It hurt both shows but Dallas won in the end. A lot of people quit watching after the dream was announced but all in all that season was a success. Problem was that the show just got worse the longer it ran and ratings showed that. I watched to the end but I was one of the few.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +960
    A recast was probably highly preferable, unfortunately the Producer's learnt their lesson with the debacle over Donna Reed as Miss Ellie. As well as the Wes Parmalee is Jock Ewing storyline too.

The problem with re-casts is they seldom work unless the character has been off screen for a while, but with Dallas they replaced such a high profile character like Barbara Bel Geddes with Donna Reed. The Wes Parmalee storyline could've worked if it had been handled a bit more sensitively. Yes Jim Davis had passed away & whilst some fans probably felt it was wrong to re-cast the character, I certainly think it could've worked to the show's benefit by bringing Jock back. If there had been a scene of Steve Forrest in tears at the picture of Jim Davis at Ewing Oil & then touching his own face, I would've been in tears too but I think even if it did happen it probably wouldn't have been enough to satisfy the fans of the show who remembered Jim as the character. A shame.

Recasting Pam straight way certainly wouldn't have worked. However I think Margaret Michaels fleeting glimpse as Pam in season eleven was in my opinion enough to bring her character's arc to an abrupt end. I'm not sure of her playing that look alike though, I think that was a step too far borne out by the lacklustre ratings for the show's final seasons. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2