1. The Bachelorette

http://zaazu.com

Applications Open

Have you got what it takes to win?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

PAPER DOLLS ALL ON YOUTUBE

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Alexis, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap Winner of SC Big Brother 2017 5 Nomination Wins 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat The Bachelor 2016

Ratings:
    +7,264
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    This has been in my amazon wantlist for quite some time, but it was so expensive, and that's excluding the 15 or 20 Euro import duties (never had to pay for this until last year).
    I didn't mind fork out a small fortune for The Colbys because I wanted it so badly.
    Plus, I had already spent a lot of money on other DVDs, like complete Cagney & Lacey, Dallas and the 90s soap Sisters (that will be the first one to watch after Peyton Place).
    Anyway, I just checked the amazon site and it's no longer for sale except from market place sellers, so now it costs even more. LOL
    Before.
    I don't know if Wesley Harper looked older than Jack Ewing, but Dack Rambo (otherwise a very handsome man) had zero sex appeal on Paper Dolls. He was sort of a dandy, like Peter De Vilbis, and it suited the character of Wesley Harper, I think.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Member

Ratings:
    +116
    The Yellow Rose....two shows/structures within one season.

I think Ugly Betty was able to strike the proper balance between the goinga ons at a fashion magazine along with a wonderful comparison between the upper class (Meade Family) and a working/middle class family (Suraz family).

Paper Dolls had such potential...but the show inteoduced too many characters and plotlines. The Harper family slant had been done before and much better on Dynasty and Dallas...i think the show should have focused on the model element..an untapped element in the 80s primetime soap genre. Racine wad the perfect modeling agent with an rager gopher in Sandy...with Blair, Taryn, Laurie, and Chris York as models...with all fours families being featured to a lesser extent. I would still have had Lauren Hutton in the cast...as a former model with an ax to geind against Racine..and planning to open a competing modeling Agency.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Addict 5 Nomination Wins 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat

Ratings:
    +2,324
    Original Member Since:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap Winner of SC Big Brother 2017 5 Nomination Wins 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat The Bachelor 2016

Ratings:
    +7,264
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Is there something wrong, @Toni?:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Addict 5 Nomination Wins 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat

Ratings:
    +2,324
    Original Member Since:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    There can´t be anything wrong coming from you, Willie...you know that? ;):danc:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Willie Oleson

Ratings:
    +7,264
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    I forgot to mention my favourite dramatic/soapy Paper Dolls moments. I'm afraid I can't make a top ten, perhaps someone else likes to add his or her favourite parts.

- Mark and Sarah's breakup scene. If there had been a second season then I would have liked him to be a more important character. But it looked like they were going to add another character to the Harper dynasty (the little brother).

- When Grant finally decided to join Marjorie on the cruise, she told him to stay home and that she would join him as soon as possible. It was that moment when I thought, hey, am I going to like this character? This scene proved that it really was about devotion, and not necessarily as a couple spending their time together.

- When Taryn got the goodbye note from John Waite's publicity manager. She wanted to keep her dignity, pretended to be John's friend (and nothing more), smiling through her tears, and he was feeling very awkward about the situation.
    upload_2017-2-25_5-16-32.png
    I felt sorry for both of them - and this was a scene between strangers.

The biggest disappointment was the scene when Grayson Carr told Fenton that he didn't like the clothes. This was supposed to be "big", the result of a scheme, but it was almost as if he was talking about the clothes David Fenton was wearing. "I don't like your trousers. Sorry, bye".
    A little more outrage would have been nice.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    I loved Paper Dolls but you've hit the nail on the head there. There was too much going on and it never felt truly centered. I think Racine and her agency should've been the central business and focus of the show with everyone else, including the Harpers, being offshoots of this. I haven't seen the original TV movie but am I right in thinking that the Harper family weren't featured in it? They were just added to the series in order to fill the "big rich family" role that was seemingly obligatory in all 80's soaps?

8. kenneth

kenneth Soap Chat Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Does anyone happen to know the name of the fonts used during the credits?

9. Carrie Fairchild

Ratings:
    +414
    Do you mean for the actor's names? It's a font called Plaza. Not sure what the joined up font that they used for the title card is though.

10. kenneth

kenneth Soap Chat Member

Ratings:
    +63
    That's what I meant. Thank you. You wouldn't know the one from Hollywood Wives as well would you?

11. Carrie Fairchild

Ratings:
    +414
    I don't unfortunately. It looks like a bit of a mish mash of fonts but I'm sure there's an official name.

12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Dream Maker 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat

Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    For some reason, I still remember the PAPER DOLLS theme.

13. Carrie Fairchild

Ratings:
    +414
    I suppose it's a unique theme among the sweeping orchestral shenanigans of most of the other 80's soaps, so it does stand out. It's the work of Mark "The X Files" Snow.

14. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Dream Maker 15 Years on Soap Chat 10 Years on Soap Chat 5 Years on Soap Chat

Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +2,725
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Oh, of course it's him. I should have known. I like his X FILES stuff well enough, but I haven't always been a fan of his atonal scoring elsewhere.

15. kenneth

kenneth Soap Chat Member

Ratings:
    +63
    The Harper family role in the show should have been like the Cartel in Dallas. Occasional big part of a storyline but never the focal point.

• Agree Agree x 1