Pastels???? And where's Amanda?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Alexis, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,487

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,406
    The blurry close-ups on Alexis' face is hard on the eyes, as is her outfit and hairstyle. I don't mind the colors, and the skirt is nice, but that jacket... that blouse... hideous. And I just hate her hair like that. And Joan seems so tired and bored and disinterested in what's going on. There's little to no animation in her actions/reactions (although her "Pastels!?" remark was pretty funny).

And I still feel insulted how post-season 7a, the writers pretend that Amanda doesn't exist anymore. After so much trouble and drama and attention given to the character, and then being expected to dismiss her without question...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,484
    Yes, that blurry -- almost smudgy -- lens they placed on Joan and Linda in S8 was ridiculous and unnecessary. Any videotaped TV interview they did at the time revealed they still looked great, so this lensing for the show was stupid. (And Paulsen had it removed by his third episode).

And that's a separate issue from the incredibly splotchy, ruddy, grainy look the original broadcast prints took on at the time when the TV production companies were trying to cut corners on the post-production expenses and so compromised the visual image of DYNASTY from late-S6 thru S8 it was laughable. So you combine that (which has been fixed for the R1 DVDs) with the stupid S8 lens issue (which can't really be fixed, at least not much, because it was actually part of the principle photography long before the footage got to the film lab) and Joan's and Linda's heads often looked like spectral apparitions.

And for a series where the "look" was seen as being all-important, these creative choices were dumfounding.

I did, however, prefer the quieter tone of S8 because the show was no longer screaming its incompetence in our faces quite as mind-numbingly. But what that was replaced with was a placid, listless, bored-with-itself flavor which, although I still kind of preferred it, didn't do much to mask the still-dumbish writing (although I did like this scene -- I remember at the time noticing the mantel in the master shot and thinking how unusual such artistic choices like that were for DYNASTY).

S8 also attempted a self aware sense of humor unthinkable in previous seasons, but the show was so sleepily suffocated (as @Alexis has pointed out before) that it doesn't really work.

And, yes, Amanda went the way of Adam Cartwright: she just never existed.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,406
    Now the blurry lens seems like an even greater insult, if Joan and Linda still looked great.

And had the writing remained good, then Season 8 being all about self-aware humor could have made it one of the best or most fun seasons.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,348
    I also don't like any european version of any US show that is not dubbed, because due to the transfer to the european PAL TV norm they all sound like Micky Maus and move and talk way too fast, it all feels like watching a cartoon or a Charlie Chaplin slapstick from the 20s. Just awful. :re:

6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,484
    "remained good"?

7. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,406