Dallas Actors Patrick Duffy to sell some of his art collection at Sothebys

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Barbara Fan, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,481
    Lovely video and his home and surrounding area look lovely

BIT OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE

On their bucolic ranch in Jackson County, Oregon, Patrick Duffy and his late wife Carlyn quietly built a thoughtful and personal American Art collection. Join the former star of Dallas as he recounts the personal stories behind works by artists such as Milton Avery, Andrew Wyeth, and Leon Kroll. In the context of their remarkable home, these paintings are a testament to the couple's passion for collecting and their love for one another. The Collection of Patrick and Carlyn Duffy will be a highlight of Sotheby's American Art sale on 23 May.

Learn More: http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2...

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,481
    Looking Back at the Art-Filled Love Story of Patrick Duffy and His Late Wife Carlyn

Their collection is going up for auction at Sotheby's.

By Caroline Hallemann

From the beginning, art was key to actor Patrick Duffy's relationship with his late wife Carlyn. It was their shared passion, and in fact, it was Carlyn who first introduced her husband to collecting.

"My wife had perfect pitch; she could play concert piano; she was a ballerina; she lived a life that was artistic. And I was drawn into that from a sort-of narrow artistic point of view," he says in the video above, announcing the sale of their collection at Sotheby's this May.

"That was not the beginning of my education, that was probably my doctorate, what influenced my life from the age of 22 when I met her."

Over the course of their more than four-decade relationship, they amassed an intimate collection of American art, in part fueled by Duffy's career successes, like his role of Bobby Ewing on the popular TV show, Dallas.

"Dallas provided an amazing opportunity. It allowed us to look at what we wanted to do most, so this is the house that Dallas built, and the gallery is full of the art that Dallas bought," he says, reflecting how his acting accomplishments fueled the growth of his gallery.

Duffy's wife passed away in 2017, and while he's choosing to sell some of their works after her passing, he seems at peace with the decision to let the art go.

"As we were fortunate enough to be able to feed our passion, it more than returned sustenance, which is why the art needs to go somewhere else now," he says. "Because the art, it never depletes its capability of sustaining other people's passions. it forever has that capability."

Below, a few of the pieces available in the sale along with commentary from Duffy.

[​IMG]

Milton Avery "The Seamstress"
    Courtesy of Sotheby's
    Milton Avery’s The Seamstress was a wonderful accident. Carlyn and I were chasing a work by Maurice Prendergast that we had spotted in an American Art catalogue when this amazing, very modern piece drew us in; we couldn’t take our eyes off of her when she first entered our lives back in 1998, and she continues to impress every day.

[​IMG]

Leon Kroll "Hunter in the Hills"
    Courtesy of Sotheby's
    Leon Kroll’s Hunter in the Hills
    Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

[​IMG]

Andrew Wyeth "Perpetual Care"
    Courtesy of Sotheby's
    For me, Andrew Wyeth’s Perpetual Care embodies the amazing effect of art; it removes constraints and lets your imagination run free. In researching this painting, I discovered that the artist always thought he saw a young girl in a white dress looking out of the window. She obviously isn’t there, but knowing his intention, I cannot walk past this painting without taking a second glance at that window.

[​IMG]

Andrew Wyeth "The Bachelor"
    Courtesy of Sotheby's
    While I was on location in Australia, Carlyn sent me a fax of a sheet torn out of an auction catalogue of Andrew Wyeth’s The Bachelor. As it rolled out of that machine in all its black and white glory, it took my breath away.

The Collection of Patrick and Caryl Duffy is being auctioned at Sotheby's as part of the American Art sale on May 23. For more information, visit Sothebys.com.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. pd fan

pd fan Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Thanks BF for posting the video ,beautiful collection they had , and lovely place they lived ,we can feel the big love he had for her when he talk about her anyway Merci BF

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,437
    Thanks for sharing BF. The video was really interesting to watch. :)

I had no idea that Patrick and Carlyn were into collecting arts. It's interesting how people can see different things in paintings. I don't see a young girl in that church window but I definitely see something up there. Maybe it's a ghost?
    I don't know but I have a feeling that something is there when I look at the image of that painting. Probably because it's been pointed out to us in the video that the artist's son saw a girl up there. So now we're looking for her.

I like the painting with the couple out walking the best. Probably because it's such a classic image and the background landscape is beautiful. :)
    The first painting reminds me a bit of Miro in style. I remember when I was 18 and went on a school trip to Barcelona the teachers had us visit the Miro museum and also the Picasso museum. I remember that I preferred the Picasso museum.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,481
    I also like painting of the couple the best, Im sure they will sell for a pretty penny
    I dont like picture 1 but im not really into modern art like that, Give me a Monet, Degas or Constable any day of the week!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tina Ewing

Tina Ewing Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +149
    The whole video gives off a very positive vibe. I sure will rewatch it a couple more times and I wish it was longer.
    I personally am not into art but I like Patrick & Carlyn's collection. And the story behind the Hunting Couple picture is very interesting.
    What I liked the most about the video were the family photos mostly because Patrick doesn't invite people into his private space on a daily basis.
    I especially like this one. It reads "Carlyn's boys" and I believe it dates back to 2008/9 so that must be Conor's son Max. So sweet!

vlcsnap-2018-05-01-18h17m01s494.png

• Like Like x 2
  7. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,481
    Looks like Patrick has made a very pretty profit from selling off some of his Art Collection!

THE COLLECTION OF PATRICK AND CARLYN DUFFY

Milton Avery
    THE SEAMSTRESS
    Estimate
    2,000,000 — 3,000,000
    USD

LOT SOLD. 2,175,000 USD

THE COLLECTION OF PATRICK AND CARLYN DUFFY

Leon Kroll
    HUNTER IN THE HILLS
    Estimate
    40,000 — 60,000