People, Production, Writing That Took Away From "that Could Really Happen"

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Bill Dilks, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Yep...suspending the disbelief and just enjoying it works for all of us.

2. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    Medals:
    We're doing a re-watch now, and thought of this very thread:

After Clayton proposes to Miss Ellie (and she accepts), the two of them have a conversation where Clayton thinks they should buy a house off of Southfork and live there together.

These aren't teenage lovers, here. They are grown adults who have been married, had kids, and owned homes. Wouldn't they have discussed things like where they are going to live before becoming engaged?

I will say that the writers made up for this by having Clayton invite the boys (including Ray) to the Oil Barron's Club. He created a perfect balance of not quite asking permission to marry their mother, but allowing them to raise any objections first.

Kind of a private, "If anyone has reason that this marriage should not take place, let them speak now or forever hold their peace."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Yeah....agreed. I've seen that a few times on the show. Guess it gives 'em somthin' to jaw about.

4. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Jock's office at Ewing Oil. Why did we see it just a couple of times? And if he kept his office there, why was Jock always working in JR's office, like during SF mortgage crisis? I don't ever remember seeing Jock enter or leave his own office.

When JR took the reigns at Ewing Oil, did Jock move out of the corner office and give it to JR? Could be a long-shot reason why Jock used JR's office. But, seems like JR revered Jock's office in awe as if it was where Jock built JR's revered Ewing Oil.

Also, it didn't look like there was that much room for Jock's office between Bobby's and JR's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kenneth

kenneth Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Bobby parking wherever the hell he wants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. CVU360

CVU360 Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Whenever I get a prime parking place, my wife and I call it a Bobby Ewing parking spot. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I feel like I'm driving a red Mercedes SL.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +725
    And agreed. Interesting how there's always a parking spot at the front door to the Ewing Oil bldg. But course, they do own it.

And, that's One Main Place across the street, that held Cliff's OLM office.

Ewing Bldg.png

8. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    Absolutely! No matter how good the plastic surgeon is, how can a man who was burned over most of his body and his face burned off have no visible scars? JR and Bobby always knew Parmalee was an imposter, so Parmalee didn't fool everyone. Still, it was pretty ridiculous that Miss Ellie couldn't tell what he was.

Bob should have had Parmalee's plastic surgeon be Pam's surgeon. Then she wouldn't have been all scarred and ran away because she wasn't pretty anymore.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 4:24 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    Wendell didn't believe Parmalee was Jock. He did believe Parnalee would be be able to convince the courts he was legally Jock and that was enough for Wendell.. As log a he could get Parmalee to sell him Ewing Oil, that was enough for him. He even called him Mr Parmalee when they were in negotiations for the sale. Remember that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jabari Lamar

Jabari Lamar Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Yes, I presumed that J.R. took over Jock's old office when Jock first retired, and the 2nd office that became Bobby's used to be J.R.'s when J.R. was working alongside Jock as Vice-President of Ewing Oil.

• Like Like x 1