People who try to create a crisis when they realize there's a crisis

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Snarky's Ghost, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Do you know anybody who, once they realize an incident or an emergency or a crisis of sorts is going on, or that their acquaintances or family are being faced with an immediate such crisis, suddenly begin acting as if there is -- or manufacturing -- an alternative crisis to draw attention to themselves, thus complicating the original real crisis for those whom have to deal with it -- which seems to be the point??

[​IMG]

2. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,803
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I'm constantly amazed at the levels of narcissism/self-absorption that our society is perpetuating. It's quite breath-taking at times, the absolute inability of some people to realize not everything in the world is about them. We've created some real monsters, because people who that self-obsessed lose their empathy and, eventually, lose respect for life itself. Doing what's best for society as a whole seems a quaint snapshot of times past, when compared to today's "I'll get mine and to hell with everyone else" mentality that seems to be infecting more and more of the country.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    But do you really think it's the current culture? I've known more than my share of folks who behave that way, and many of them are far from being of the youthful generations.

4. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,803
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I will concede it has always been with us to some degree, but social media has made it much more socially acceptable to be selfish and self-centered. So now everybody can join in. Yay! [/not]

But speaking to your original point, there are some people whose lives are so dull or empty that they want drama just to break up the monotony. They see others dealing with something and decide "Hey, I want a part of that!" even if it's not something positive. It's why so many people will pursue (or remain in) terrible relationships...because they dread the alternative of being [gasp] alone.