Petition to Revoke Article 50 and remain in EU crashed Parliament website

Discussion in 'UK Politics' started by Mel O'Drama, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,857
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Medals:
    I will be signing this. Brexit will be a bloody disaster for everyone, not least Ireland. It is a stupid stupid idea, voted on by people who thought it would clear the UK of terrorism. It will do nothing but send us back to the dark ages.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,857
    Medals:
    It was quite a feat to sign it yesterday. After clicking to sign you're supposed to get an email with a link where you click to confirm. My email took several hours to come through, and then several hours more where the link wouldn't work (presumably because of the sheer volume).

Got there in the end, though, and it was well worth it.

It's passed the 3 million mark now!

4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,636
    Medals:
    Anyone in London tomorrow, the march demanding the people be asked confirm whether or not Brexit should go ahead will take place starting at noon on Park Lane. I predict the turnout will be massive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Medals:
    Will you be attending @Angela Channing ? Had I known, I think I would have flown over. I hope NI will be represented.

6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Medals:
    I've signed - it will be interesting to see how she ignores the millions that have signed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,636
    Medals:
    Yes, I going to be there. I was in 2 minds over this because I fear a second referendum will be really divisive at a time when the country needs to come together. However, if the question is framed correctly, i.e. a choice between Theresa May's deal and remain, it will confirm how the public would like Parliament to proceed on this which would help Parliament move forward from their current deadlock.

8. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Medals:
    Great. Just be careful :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,857
    Medals:
    Well, Andrea Leadsom has already poo-pooed the petition by saying:

As if the petition is comparable to a national referendum for which every household in the country was bombarded with "facts" for many, many months leading up to it.

The petition needed 100,000 signatures to be considered for debate. I wouldn't expect the petition itself to revoke Article 50, but the fact that it is has now received over 31 times more signatures than it needed without any real promotion just shows how strongly people feel about this and how there is a definite need for some kind of public consultation about the choices at hand.

I share your concerns. Even though it would give the public the opportunity to make a more informed decision and probably ask a different question, there are many people who will cry foul at the possibility of any kind of referendum. Even if we got a second referendum and even if that miraculously changed the outcome, I can't say I'd feel great about it - as much as I still feel remaining in the EU is the right thing. There's so much bitterness across the whole country that can't be erased. We're now two sets of "us" and "them"s and that will be very difficult to get past.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,857
    Medals:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,857
    Medals:
    While the petition is due to be debated in Parliament on 1st April, the Government has already made this response:

12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,636
    Medals:
    "Revoking Article 50, and thereby remaining in the European Union, would undermine both our democracy and the trust that millions of voters have placed in Government."

This is just the usual b*ll*cks uttered by the totally useless robotic Prime Minister we currently have. What about the lies and the fraud committed by Vote Leave during the referendum campaign? Why is she not concerned about how that undermined our democracy? As for trust in Government, Theresa May was the liar who tried to undermine credibility in the Human Right's Act by saying it prevented her from deporting an illegal immigrant because it would infringe his human rights because he had a cat. THIS WAS A TOTAL LIE from a politician who has done more to undermine trust in Government than most.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,857
    Medals:
    This, and other Brexit-related e-petitions, are due for debate from 4:30 this afternoon.

Numbers are still climbing, by the way. Over 6 million signatures now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,636
    Medals:
    I was in Westminster last Friday on what was originally Brexit Day and the area was full of pro-leave protesters. Jon Snow of Channel 4 News commented on the fact that they were almost all white but I thought as strikingly, they were very few young people amongst them (they were mostly aged 40 -70) and they were sweary, leery and aggressive, creating an atmosphere of hate around the Parliament area. If this is what Brexit unleashes, then God help us if it happens.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,857
    Medals:
    That's an interesting observation. It has seemed overwhelmingly to be the case from what I've seen on the news, with the harassment of MPs and boisterous protests on College Green. I wasn't sure if they were just showing some of the more extreme examples, but from what you've seen first hand it seems not.

I'm even more concerned about what their behaviour will be like if Brexit doesn't happen.

16. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,636
    Medals:
    I walk past Parliament often and mostly the protestors there are anti-Brexit and always seem to be good humoured. There are usually some anti-Brexit protestors there and the 2 groups occupy different areas and are largely peaceful. The pro-Brexit brigade that where there last Friday had somehow completely displaced the anti-Brexit protestors and were occupying the areas where the pro-EU people normally locate themselves. The atmosphere last Friday was hateful and intimidating and not helped by convicted thug Tommy Robinson addressing a rally there later in the day.

Nigel Farage has predicted (incited?) uproar and riots if Brexit doesn't happen. Either way, we are in the do-do. Meanwhile, David Cameron who instigated this disaster, continues to enjoy a life of luxury, sunning himself in the South of France without a care in the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Medals:
    I wonder is there any way Cameron can be brought out of his bubble and made to be held accountable for his part in this??

18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,857
    Medals:
    The heroes and influencers are very concerning.

Yup.