Plans for Pam had VP not left?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by TJames03, Oct 3, 2018.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +423
    VP has always said that the producers didn't take her seriously when she said that she was leaving in '87 until the last minute. If that's the case, was there a Bible written for Pam for the '87-'88 season? How far in advance did Dallas make plans for their seasons? Was she included since the producers thought VP was calling their bluff for extra $$$?​

2. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Interesting question. My sense is that they had mapped out a storyline for Pam and Bobby as they normally did, and in their arrogance of not taking Victoria's desire to leave the show seriously, they got caught with their pants down and had to scramble to write something happening to Pam. They deluded themselves that Victoria's "pretty little head" would be back, and it was a serious miscalculation. And then when they were given the golden opportunity to have Victoria play Pam one last time and make fans happy with closure for Pam and Bobby, they foolishly let their anger at her for leaving the show cloud their judgement and refused to agree to the one perfectly reasonable condition she made.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. MenaceTheDennis

MenaceTheDennis Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Victoria denies she was going to do the last episode of the show. But she has her version of events. She DID discuss staying with the show for 1987 through 1988. She admitted in a TV Guide interview around the time she left she had discussions with the producers. I remember reading it. She says now a kings ransom wouldn’t keep her on the show or anything else but that’s bull. I like and respect Victoria but she plays fast and loose with her history of leaving the show. I think I read on here she was initially involved in the whole Jeff Farraday sister thing coming back for Christopher, but beyond that I know of no plans for the character.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Pam was going to get involved with Sue Ellen in Valentine's Lingerie. Not sure if that's true or not.

5. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Victoria and former producers on Dallas have spoken about the negotiations to get her to play Pam at the end of the final season and both "versions" similarly confirm that they were "unable" to give her the guaranty for final closure that she asked them for. I've never heard Victoria deny that those negotiations took place. Where have you read or seen her denial?

And as for the negotiations for her staying on for the 87-88 season, those "versions" also similarly confirm that she was offered a substantial amount of money, but it wasn't enough to make her stay. She made her decision that doing what was going to make her happy was more important than the money they were offering her, and I respect her for that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MenaceTheDennis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Roy Jennings from Dallas fanzine point blank asks her if she was going to do the last episode if it could be guaranteed. She says no. It’s on YouTube from 2012.

As for possibly staying on the show in 1987 I’ve never seen anything other than TV Guide where she clearly said she had discussions with producers about staying. What she’s been saying the last I don’t know however long that no amount of money could keep her is clearly false. Why discuss anything if you’re determined to put the show behind you? My point is she was willing to stay if her salary demands were met. If you can provide any links where she clearly contradicts what she’s been saying for the longest time i will gladly eat crow.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  7. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Not only was it late in Season 10 DVD that the brass realized that Victoria was leaving for real, but there wasn't much of a break between season recordings in that particular year (1987).

8. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Not really false at all. She didn't stay, despite big pressure and big money to do so from a panicked brass.

I do believe that Victoria was open to staying on when she made her 1985 comments about probably leaving in two years time, but they never took her seriously until very late, and I think Pam's last season convinced her the time was right to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MenaceTheDennis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    She was still open to negotiations I’m guessing around late 1986 early 1987. It was announced in the press in late January she was leaving. She insists on saying to this day nothing could keep her on the show. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, she might’ve thrown an astronomical number out there and given the ratings and budget diminishing she knew her demands couldn’t be met. Come to think of it the E true Hollywood Story David Paulsen I believe said the amount she wanted couldn’t be done. She acts like she was above doing the show for money when it was clearly not the case. What if they called her bluff? She deserved at least as much as Duffy. She’s probably protecting her skin care brand by telling white lies and not seem so money happy. But when these things can be easily researched via the net it makes you out a liar which is worse.

10. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +448
    I listened to that interview again and what Roy asked her was if she had ever been asked to come back and she answered yes. And she also talked about how upset Katzman was when she told him she was leaving and how hard he tried to talk her into staying, but she was "spiritually ready" to leave. She had assumed that Lorimar had already told him, but they hadn't, and she believes Katzman was behind the financial offer that was made to her. She intended to leave and she likely considered that offer out of respect for Katzman.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  11. MenaceTheDennis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Of course she was asked back. But she claims she said no to the last episode. Bottom line is she wants to be in control of the narrative and act like she wouldn’t return for any amount of money when this has been proven wrong. If she said something like yeah I was willing to do one more season of Dallas and wanted a raise but we couldn’t come to terms it would be honest and forthcoming instead of acting like she was above that sort of thing. And why would she at this point be loyal to Katzman? He took part in dismantling her character in her last season. 30 years after she left, no one really cares too much the circumstances of her departure. I care to the extent that even after being interviewed for the 40th anniversary of Dallas in the Spring for the press she still tells her version of the truth. She didn’t seem to care in 1987 when interviewed about it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  12. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +423
    Had she been treated as an equal to Hagman and Duffy.......who knows if she would have stayed? I think that the dream season officially showed her that it was time to go before Dallas was tarnished even further.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +508
    How has it been proven wrong? She didn't return, even for all that money.

She's referring to the pressure she was under late in the season to stay on for the next season when she said that "I wasn't for sale".

They worked together for nearly a decade, and went through a lot together.

I don't see any contradiction. She announced her intention to leave Dallas in 1985 in two years time, hadn't slammed the door shut entirely on staying further at that point, and events carried on, she told the brass that she was leaving in early 1987, faced pressure and some negotiations to stay on, and then held firm and left.

You mean the dream revelation that made the previous year a dream? More than that, I think, was the dumbing down of Pam.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. MenaceTheDennis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    How has it been proven wrong? She didn't return, even for all that money.

She was open to staying if the price was right. She contradicts this in about every interview she’s given post 1987.

She's referring to the pressure she was under late in the season to stay on for the next season when she said that "I wasn't for sale".

Lol I love it when she claims this. The producers were not willing to meet her salary demands. I’ll stay if you pay me not for any artistic merit that Dallas has anymore. Sounds like she WAS for sale to me and everyone with half a brain.

They worked together for nearly a decade, and went through a lot together.

Pam was probably at her strongest during the dream season when she was pretty much JRs equal. When Katzman was absent. Granted I’m sure there was affection between them after 10 years, but Principal was closer to Kapice. When he was gone, the Pam character was weakened. Victoria has talked about issues with the producers when she left, I’m sure this included Katzman.

I don't see any contradiction. She announced her intention to leave Dallas in 1985 in two years time, hadn't slammed the door shut entirely on staying further at that point, and events carried on, she told the brass that she was leaving in early1987, faced pressure and some negotiations to stay on, and then held firm and left.

She contradicts this by omitting the ENTIRE circumstances of her departure. Like Victoria was the only smart one who was brave enough to abandon the sinking ship that was Dallas. Money talks. They wouldn’t cough it up. Victoria just won’t admit this.

15. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +508
    I think she was open to staying at first, but they didn't take seriously until early 1987. By then, I think she was committed to leaving, but faced big pressure to stay on because it took many of the brass by surprise.

What has she omitted? They offered her big money to stay on for Season 11 DVD, and she still left. This deal would have made her the highest paid actress on US TV, I believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MenaceTheDennis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If she was open to staying she should just admit it at this point. My problem with Victoria, even though I respect her and thought she was a crucial part of Dallas, is she acts like money wasn’t a factor in this when it was. She acts like wild horses wouldn’t keep her on the show, and goes on about the quality deteriorating (of course she’s right) and the not being for sale stuff. She negotiated. No negotiation takes place if you want to move on.

Again, she leaves out she wanted more money. Probably close to what Hagman was getting. With Susan Howard gone that would’ve freed up some of the budget. But I think Howard was dismissed after the negotiations with Victoria fell through.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  17. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +423
    I think that because Hagman and Duffy were for sale, the producers thought she was, too. Also, I think there was a lot of, "Isn't that cute she's leaving? She'll be back in one season like Bel Geddes and Duffy!"

Wrong, and when they realized this, they were f?cked. I remember VP saying that she would return for the final episode if she was guaranteed that there wouldn't be a '91-'92 season and no one could, so she declined.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,793
    Good question. I have no idea what was in their bible for the 1987/1988 season and considering the fact that it was announced early in 1987 that VP was leaving maybe they hadn't planned that much for them yet.

I remember reading in a VP interview that she thought a surrogate storyline would have been interesting for Bobby and Pam. I know that it was done with Adam and Dana on Dynasty around that time and also Cole and Melissa/Robin on Falcon Crest but they of course didn't have an on screen backstroy that went back as long as Bobby and Pam. So having watched them suffering through two miscarriages earlier on and then going through an adoption I guess the viewer would have been more invested in a Bobby and Pam surrogate storyline.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +423
    I would have Pam finally embrace her dark side if the surrogate backed out and tried to keep the baby. I'd have her go on the war path.

20. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I wondered if a custody battle between Ray/Jenna and Bobby/Pam would have been interesting. Perhaps Jenna dies and Ray doesn’t want to give the baby to Bobby.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1