1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Podcasts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jason73, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but I can't find the thread. Maybe it was pre-crash.

What podcasts do you listen to on a regular basis?

I have a handful that I listen to weekly:

Throwing Shade:

Throwing Shade is the political comedy podcast hosted by Erin Gibson and Bryan Safi who deliver their fresh takes on pop culture, women’s rights, and LGBT rights with hilarity and vulgarity.

Pop Rocket:

Pop Rocket is a high-octane weekly discussion of the culture we all love to love. Join host Guy Branum and panelists Wynter Mitchell, Karen Tongson and Margaret Wappler for smart, funny, sometimes sweary chat about everything great in entertainment. Combining comic, journalistic, academic and digital media expertise, the Pop Rocket team will keep you up-to-date on what's most exciting in pop culture this week.

Pod Save America:

Four former aides to President Obama — Jon Favreau, Dan Pfeiffer, Jon Lovett, and Tommy Vietor — are joined by journalists, politicians, comedians, and activists for a freewheeling conversation about politics, the press and the challenges posed by the Trump presidency.

Lovett or Leave It:

Jon Lovett, former Obama speechwriter and co-host of Pod Save America, is joined by comedians, actors, journalists, and many, many renowned Friends of the Pod for a roundup of the week's top news. Rants! Games! Bad impressions! Nuanced discussion! Recorded in front of a live audience.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    Some others that I have listened to and enjoyed:

You Must Remember This:

You Must Remember This is a storytelling podcast about the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood’s first century.

Gayest Episode Ever:

Back in the day, a major sitcom doing a gay episode was a big deal. A proper gay episode would get headlines, but it would get the attention of two young guys who were still figuring things out — sexuality-wise and culture-wise. Gayest Episode Ever has screenwriter Glen Lakin and stay-at-home journalist Drew Mackie going through the great and not-so-great gay episodes of sitcoms past.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    Great title for a programme (is it some kind of internet radio?)

4. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    I'd say that it's sort of a talk radio/talk show hybrid. It's a really funny show in spite of the fact that is revolves around the current US political situation.

5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,596
    Used to listen and laugh out loud to radio 2 Simon Mayos confessions podcast

UNTIL BBC became so politically correct and forcing women broadcasters onto his show and made it boring - yes i mean Jo Whiley

it was perfect before with Simon and his crew and their comments were hysterical but the BBC know how to ruin a good thing and they have done but pairing him up with a rather bland broadcaster

I will also listen to Chris Evans podcast and some from radio 5 live

6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,993
    I only listen to Swedish pods. My favorite is the Filip & Fredrik podcast. Two best friends (and TV show hosts) talking about anything & everything.

[​IMG]

7. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    Just discovered a podcast called "Halloweenies: a monthly check in with Michael Myers as we wait for October." It's a monthly podcast that started back in January and has been discussing the Halloween franchise one movie at a time. I'm only an hour into the first episode on the first movie (it's an almost four hour episode!!) but as I find all things Halloween fascinating, it's been a fun listen. I doubt that there will be much in it that I didn't already know, but it's enjoyable listening to some intelligent fans geek out over the franchise.

https://consequenceofsound.net/category/halloweenies/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    Actually, there's already been lots of little bits of trivia that I didn't know about the film in this podcast. And again, it's just fun to listen to people discuss the film in such minutiae.

9. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +885
    I would not actually say that I know what a podcast is.

10. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    It's a digital file that you can download onto your phone or computer to listen to. You can find podcasts on just about any topic out there. Some are talk radio format with people discussing particular topics and some are more documentary style and they are usually in a series format. There's probably even some on cheese!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    And what is the most exciting in pop culture in America, at the moment? Who's hotter than hot?

12. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    Well, last week's episode was all about revisiting 80's comedies to determine if they had a hand in encouraging rape culture. So sadly I guess that's the most exciting thing in American pop culture last week thanks to the Kavanaugh hearing.

Sadly and depressingly Brett Kavanaugh, I guess, last week.

I guess it wasn't such a great week for American pop culture.

Hopefully next week they will be back to discussing Crazy Rich Asians or maybe A Star Is Born.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +885
    I'll do the gags if you don't mind, Jase.

• Agree Agree x 1