Poll: Nearly half of voters say Kavanaugh shouldn't be confirmed

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by SueEllenRules!, Oct 2, 2018.

1. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    Poll: Nearly half of voters say Kavanaugh shouldn't be confirmed

Washington (CNN) — Nearly half of US voters say the Senate should not vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court in a poll released Monday.

The poll, from Quinnipiac University, showed opposition to the Supreme Court nominee has grown since last week's hearing before the Senate Judiciary committee where Kavanaugh defended himself against accusations of sexual misconduct.

Overall, 48% of respondents oppose Kavanaugh's confirmation, up from 42% who said the same in early September. Opposition among female voters is higher, with 55% opposing his confirmation, a jump from 47% before the hearing.

The views of male voters were largely unchanged, with 40% now opposing his confirmation versus 37% in September.

The poll also found voters are finding Kavanagh's accuser, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, more credible after her emotional testimony before the Senate Judiciary committee where she alleged Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her during a high school party in the 1980s. Forty-eight percent of voters say they tend to believe Ford, while 41% believe Kavanaugh.

"I am a fiercely independent person and I am no one's pawn," Ford said during the hearing. Kavanaugh dismissed Ford's account during his opening statement. "I'm here today to tell the truth," he said. "I've never sexually assaulted anyone."

On Friday, President Donald Trump authorized a limited week-long FBI investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh. According to the poll, almost 7-in-10 voters support reopening the FBI background check into Kavanaugh, including 90% of Democrats, 71% of independents and 41% of Republicans.

Both parties, however, face majority opposition toward their handling of the accusations, with 56% disapproving of Senate Republicans and 52% saying they disapprove of the Democrats in the Senate.

Trump's response to the situation has an approval of 42% of voters, while 49% disapprove.

The poll was conducted from September 27-30 and surveyed 1,111 voters nationwide with a margin of error of +/- 3.7 percentage points.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/01/po...tml?r=https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/

2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,217
    Trump is a man who boasted about sexually assaulting women and people still voted for him. It's not enough for polls to register the public's discontent with the potetntial Kavanaugh appointment, people need to get angry and protest against this and use their votes in the forthcoming elections to vote against Republican candidates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Democrat Joe Manchin voted to confirm Neil Gorsuch, and is vowing to do the same with Kavanaugh. In contrast, Republican Lisa Murkowski has vowed to vote no on Kavanaugh.

That's why I vote based on policy positions rather than party affiliation. A protest vote for a guy that vows to vote for Kavanaugh and possibly Trump isn't much of a protest vote.

4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,217
    One Democrat voted against Kavanaugh and all the rest voted against him. Personally, I wouldn't judge an entire party by the action of a single individual.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    I'm not judging an entire party by the actions of a single individual. I'm saying people in every state need to inform themselves as to where each candidate stands on the issues.

In other words, if a liberal Republican was running against a conservative Democrat in my state, I would vote for the liberal Republican. Conservative Dems only benefit the GOP.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  6. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,217
    I consider a "liberal Republican" to be a contradiction in terms as he/she would still be a right wing conservative by my standards. A conservative Democrat who was to the left of a Republican rival (which I would imagine to be true in the majority of cases) would still get my support

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Kavanuagh's lies:

Maryland drinking age: he said it was 18 at the time; it was 21.
    Renate Alumnius: he said it was a reference to a "friend"; the woman was interviewed and said Kavanaugh was never a friend and she took the yearbook references as an insult.
    Devil's Triangle: he said it's a "drinking game"; it's actually sex between two men and one woman. Is this what Kavanaugh and Judge intended to do if Dr. Ford hadn't escaped?
    Boofing: he said it was a reference to flatulence; it actually refers to ingesting alcohol through the anus so you can become drunk faster.

These are just a few examples, there are many more. Why did he find it necessary to lie? He could have admitted he partied and drank too much in his youth - this wouldn't have automatically disqualified him. He could even have admitted to making disrespectful remarks about women (like many other immature young men) but insisted that he never committed assault. But he lied instead.

The Republicans know he lied - a nominee for the Supreme Court lied to members of the Senate while under oath - and it made no difference to them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    Yes, and I’d love to hear someone name a “liberal” Republican. Just one. Or hell, name a few moderate Republicans. By and large, they no longer exist. They certainly didn’t show up for the vote on Kavanaugh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    That's why I go issue by issue. If a conservative Dem was still to the left of a liberal/moderate Republican, obviously the conservative Dem would be marginally better. I just think there are exceptions to every rule. In the case of Kavanaugh, Republican Lisa Murkowski got it right and Democrat Joe Manchin got it wrong. Ultimately, I consider myself a progressive-leaning independent. If a race is only between a moderate/conservative Dem and a Republican, I'll choose who I believe is the lesser of two evils. But if a green or independent is running as a progressive, I'll vote third party. I know that's not a popular position to take, but I ultimately vote for the candidate in the race whose platform I agree with the most regardless of party.

Of course, primaries matter too. Paula Jean Swearengin was vastly superior to Manchin, but Dem voters stuck by Manchin anyway.

I mentioned Lisa Murkowski in this thread, and she's a moderate Republican. She's pro-choice and didn't vote for Kavanaugh. The Republicans are already on the attack, with Trump leading the charge. He said Murkowski will "never recover" from withdrawing her vote on Kavanaugh. Susan Collins is another pro-choice, moderate Republican, and she had been on the fence about whether to vote yes or no on Kavanaugh. However, she ultimately chose to vote for him. Collins and Manchin were considered the swing votes, and both approved Kavanaugh.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  10. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    They don't care about the truth. They just want someone who will further their twisted agenda.

11. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Dems are starting to turn against Manchin due to his vote for Kavanaugh. Mitch McConnell thanked him for doing "the right thing," but said the goal of Republicans is to win seats. Trump Jr. tweeted "A real profile in courage from Lyin’ liberal @JoeManchinWV. Waited until Kavanugh had enough votes secured before he announced his support. I bet he had another press release ready to go if Collins went the other way." As they say, no good deed (or bad deed, as the case may be) goes unpunished. Manchin's capitulation to Republicans got him nowhere. There's already talk that Manchin is losing support among his Democratic base. If Manchin loses his seat, it will put the Democrats's plan to take back the Senate in jeopardy.

And while I agree that liberal/moderate Republican is mostly an oxymoron, Dems like Manchin only care about power and hold positions that are contradictory to the Democratic base.