Poll Questions

Discussion in 'Feedback & Help Forum' started by Ome for Christmas, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,782
    [​IMG] :dance:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Long Christmas Stockings

Long Christmas Stockings Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,223
    I try not to look at my post count if I can help it and even though I post in the games forum I’m shocked it’s so high,

I voted – ‘no’ post count don’t matter to me, but it does in a way as I wish mine was lower :lol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    Being an economist, I'm familiar with statistics and the pros and cons of it! (And believe me when I say that there are cons, since you can make statistics show whatever your heart desires (and thus make reality very misleading).

Sometimes, it's okay to have statistics right in your face! And at other times, I think that it would be better to take statistics to a back room! For instance, trophy points alone are okay to have on "display" next to the avatar, whereas the number of posts and "medals" won don't really do anything for me (as they say absolutely nothing about the person behind the numbers and the letters)!

BTW, I'm pleased that the current survey has taken a "turn" since last I looked! I'd like to believe that people visit this forum for the right reasons!

4. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,302
    Personally I don't think there's a "right" and "wrong" answer. Just one based on each person's personal viewpoint and response to a question that can be interpreted in a number of ways.

I haven't voted yet*. Originally I was going to vote "no", but as the week's gone on and I've reflected I find myself leaning towards "yes". As another who enjoys stats I think it's interesting to have and I enjoy seeing that information. So on that level post counts matter to me. It's also one of many ways of seeing contributions others have made to the site. Appreciating those posts is a way of appreciating contributions people have made to the forum. But that's my interpretation of the question.

Focussing on post count at the expense of content isn't conducive to meaningful discussion in my opinion. But without the full picture I wouldn't write off seven of my fellow members as having the wrong reasons for visiting based on their answer to a poll.

*Actually, I've just talked myself into voting "yes".

I don't fully get the Trophy Point thing. I guess that's just the way my brain works - like Ome said, it's down to personal taste. But if other members enjoy having them on display that's great.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,782
    I don't enjoy or dislike the information itself, but I can't vote against "information being available". I like the idea that I can see it if I want to.
    And it's not like that piece of information is following me around like an evil pop-up.
    Maybe I should change my vote.

There's nothing heroic or shameful about having lots of medals and trophy points - to me it seems like a friendly "thank you" from the website itself.
    You've been awarded 100 trophy points. Please keep coming back.
    It's not important, it's just friendly. And maybe it does encourage new members to stick around, who knows?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,569
    I think you're reading way too much in all this. They are there because it's possible to have them. They are not intended as an insult or as a promotion to make someone appear better than another.

They are only in your face if you allow that to happen. Most of the time I never notice them, nor do I glance across to read the details, but it's nice to have them in case someone was wondering.

We are a community who enjoy catching up with each other's reviews on a show or finding out what the latest trends are, maybe discover a new show, an old classic movie, or music from an artist one might not have paid any attention to.

We have members who are still very much gutted about the loss of the history, while other members have been able to move one and make new history.

Some people enjoy discussing shows, some people just want to read the posts.
    Some people enjoy writing fan-fic, some people enjoy giving feedback.
    Some people enjoy watching old shows and discussing them, some people enjoy only to read those reviews

The list goes on because it's a community that is spread across many countries, and what I've been trying to do is help you understand that not everyone fits into those examples, just SOME people. So if you can understand that different people have different tastes and different people like the little details such as USER INFO, or following the medals and trophies. There are many different cultures and tastes on Soap Chat that not everyone is always going to agree, so my advice is this. If you don't like one of the functions, then simply stop looking at them and try your best to not have them appear 'right in your face'

There isn't one is there?

Absolutely.

And that's exactly what it is.

While I might appear as the member who does a lot of things for Soap Chat, it certainly isn't the reality of it all. Many members contribute in various ways and I get a lot of help from the mod team and general members who keep me supplied with all kinds of things like 'Forum Banners' or 'Poll Questions' and all the other various ways of helping to keep Soap Chat current and fun to be a part of.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,569
    This is an interesting comment, could you expand a little more on this, please? What I'm looking for is - what are you implying about the members who voted post counts matter to them?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    You have a valid point: There is no "right" or "wrong" answer! :gotcha:

However, I do find "keeping score" to be a somewhat shallow personality trait! (And I know, I know ... ... ... that's my "problem"! :innocent: )

If some members would like to display their various statistics, that's one thing! But I would like for it to be my choice what information should be displayed next to my screen name and avatar! The way things are set up right now, that choice is made my the administrators! :(

Having said all of that, I have no problem with statistics with my number of posts or my trophy points to be accessable for everyone in a separate forum! I just don't appreciate statistics displayed next to my screen name and avatar! :wink@

Yeah, I guess that we do interpret statistics in different ways! :cooler: For instance: As far as I've been able to tell, private messages are included in our total number of posts. And I don't consider PMs to be "contributions" to the various forums! Don't get me wrong ... I love PM'ing with the few close friends that I've made on this site! But it's just odd that those posts are included! :confused:

Like I said, I just wish that it was up to me as an individual whether or not I want to display my trophy points or not! ;)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  9. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    That's just it! They are in my face ... ... even right now as I'm writing this! :(

I have the utmost respect for all of this! :hat::hat::hat:

But it doesn't change the fact that I should be able to choose for myself what information I would like to be visible next to my screen name! :wink@

10. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,782
    Were you a SC member before the site crashed? Because I'm pretty sure these statistics have been available for everyone to see for quite a while (years?).

They're not in my face,
    I see your avatar, your name and your post. I would have to make an effort to read the details (message count, trophy points, gender etc).

And it's not just about the members, it also gives the site a sense of history (because, obviously, we didn't post 1,000+ messages in two days).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,569
    The way things are set up is nothing to do with the administrators, it's how these forums were created and come as part of the package. The User Info comes with XenForo. I have added an extra option called 'Original Member Since' for all those who want to share when they first came to Soap Chat and it's also for others who want to know who has been around through the years.

They are not included in a members post count.

What about when you congratulated Karin on having the most views in her thread "Dallas in the 90s" across the forums?

As I write to you I can't see any statistics, there's just my avatar and the mood option. When I scroll back up to quote part of a post, it's the message in the post I see and not the User Info section. Like Willie pointed out, I have to move across to see what's under your avatar.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do about this.

12. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    :giggle: ... ... Why didn't you just say that in the first place? ... ... :giggle:

I'm relieved!!! :thank:

I was honoring @Karin Schill for her accomplishments! :loveit: (It had nothing to do with me!)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    Great poll question for this upcoming holiday season! :clap: "One member would like to know if you send out Christmas cards: YES/NO" :hat:

However, I don't feel like I'm able to respond to the question with a simple yes/no answer. :embarrass:

I send out about five Christmas cards to very dear friends/family around the world with about a mile long letter attached! I take special time to write the few Christmas cards that I do send via snail mail. I give them a status on my own life and my family's life. And then, of course, I reflect upon the various times that we (as friends/family) have spent together throughout the past year, how grateful that I am to have them in my life, and what lies ahead for us in the future. :kiss:

I think that it's been 10-15 years, since I stopped sending out traditional Christmas cards with a simple "Happy Holidays"-greeting included. It felt too much like I had become my own "assemply line" putting a card with my signature on it inside an envelope! And that's not what I wanted to be! :(

The rest of my family and friends get a long text message with a special holiday greeting from me on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. :06:

14. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    Then what's difficult about the poll? That's a clear "YES"!! ;)

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the reason for asking this particular question was to find out, if the tradition of sending out Christmas cards has changed! And I just wanted to add some "depth" to my answer, since things aren't black and white!

For the past decade or two, the amount of traditional Christmas cards that I've received have been declining. Instead, the amount of Christmas greetings received through e-mails have gone up. And recently, Christmas greetings sent via text messages have gone up too!

History is changing as we speak!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,926

Please. :cool1

17. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,926
    Oh but they do, and that's very obvious. I'm very curious about it as well - so if you can enlighten me, please do! I did explain to you a while back that on occasion sheer tripe will be posted, just to boost a post count - it's been happening for a long long time, although in my 20 years here, more regularly seen in the past few years!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  18. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    Yes, it's quite obvious sometimes. But i don't understand what exactly are people getting from that? It's beyond me.
    Well... maybe i should try it out and one day reply to every single thread on this board very early in the morning, before everyone else is up.
    After i've done that and my name appears on every single forum on the main page ... and see my number of posts going way up .. maybe then i will experience what they feel? :confused:
    But ... but i'm scared!!!! :eek:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,782
    Then we must be reading different forums, because I don't see it.
    I see other members posting opinions or information, or reacting to someone else's post.

??

20. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    :D