1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prince Andrew Interview with BBC

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Karin Schill, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,599
    Hi Everyone!

I just stumbled across this new interview with Prince Andrew where he is trying to defend his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein, a US business man who has been in prison for sex trafficking.

So I am wondering what's your thought of this interview?

Do you think Prince Andrew has had sex with the girl that claims so?
    Or has he been wrongly accused?

Just thought I'd open up this for discussion.

Best wishes:
    Karin.

2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,923
    I'll wait for The Crown to tell me.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,118
    I'll just repost what I said about it over in the Epstein thread:

Well what a cringe worthy spectacle that interview turned out to be. One that he will surely live to regret. Some of the excuses were just ridiculous. How stupid does he think people are?? And the arrogance of the man is astonishing. First of all, after saying that he an Epstein were "not that close", he went on to tell us that the reason he visited him in New York was to tell him that they shouldn't be friends anymore, which apparently took three days. He wouldn't do it by phone because that would be a chicken's way of doing it, so he did it person cause he's just too honourable. lol. And then trying to tell us Virginia Roberts is a liar because he couldn't have been sweating all over her due to the fact that he couldn't sweat at the time, some weird PTSD from being in the Navy. What the hell?? As someone in the comments on YouTube said, I bet he's sweating now.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but he didn't seem to be the least bit disgusted by anything Epstein had done. He has really not come out of this looking good at all. What a monumental error of judgement on his part to agree to it. I take my hat of to the interviewer, she did not let him away with much and gave him a proper grilling. And I think the answers to some of those questions will come back to haunt him in the future, when they're proven to be untrue.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Zable

Zable Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Here’s what I posted in the Epstein thread in the not-available-for-viewing-to-non-members (defacto US) Politics & Religion forum:

In response to…. Sarah said:

I'm interested in knowing what is going to happen to Prince Andrew as a result of these revelations.

Me on Nov 2nd

Am I right in thinking that Prince Andrew’s alleged offence is to have slept with an under-age girl Epstein introduced him to? I’ve forgotten her name. Has that been proven? Why should Andrew be in jeopardy if Epstein was murdered.

I was looking up the name of the girl who alleged that Epstein wanted her to be the surrogate mother to his baby, and I found her story in a Daily Mail report. Her name is Virginia Giuffre nee Roberts.

Going by DM’s story: Virginia claims (a) Epstein lost interest in her when she was 18 but still wanted her to be his baby’s birth mother; (b) she escaped his clutches at age 19 when she went to Thailand to do a massage course and met her future husband. (They live in Australia.); and (c) she slept with Prince Andrew when with Epstein.

If Virginia is indeed the underage girl the Press and other news media claim Prince Andrew slept with, it’s possible they were mistaken -- at the very least in her being under-age at the time.

Per DM’s reporting: “Roberts (Virginia) in the past claimed in US court papers that she slept with Prince Andrew, a former friend of Epstein – however, he has always denied any involvement and the allegations were later struck from the record as being “immaterial and impertinent”.

This reads like the claim that she’d slept with Andrew was stricken from the court record.

I’ve no idea what the court action was about; DM doesn’t make it clear. Maybe who Virginia slept with was “immaterial” to the case at hand.

But note that DM uses the word ‘allegation’ in the plural, so what else did she allege that was stricken from the record? Her being under-age? What he liked in bed? How he performed?

Note, also, that while the first word in the quoted phrase is “immaterial” the other word in the phrase is “impertinent” – not “irrelevant”.

If Virginia made an allegation that she was under-age at the time… Since sex with a minor is against the law, I find it hard to believe that a court would allow such an allegation by the (then) minor to be struck from the record if there was the likelihood that it was credible.

In other words, if Virginia alleged that she was under-age when she slept with Andrew, and that was an allegation which was struck from the record then the court must have had reason for not believing her claim.

Had Prince Andrew been 'cleared' in a court of law and the international Press just didn’t report it, or widely enough?

The DM story here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...x-slave-18-raise-child-Ghislaine-Maxwell.html

Nov 17th – in response to Richard Channing posting the interview with Prince Andrew:

I haven't watched the interview in full. Has Virginia Giuffre nee Roberts filed anything other than defamation suits? Such as civil suits for emotional distress etc against those men who should have been up for statutory rape (since she's been naming names)?

Me on Nov 18th:

My understanding is that all the men the media has gone after in connection with Epstein are those Virginia Giuffre implicated in an underage sex ring in her 'memoir', her stories of herself and others being forced to have sex with these men "under command" (Source: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...cuser-virginia-roberts-unsealed-memoir-2019-8) and it was she who provided the (doctored?) photo of herself with Prince Andrew's 'arm'. She's supposed to be an activist who supports and speaks out for such abused young people and all she does by way of court action is sue Ghislaine Maxwell and defend herself from lawsuits for defamation? If she's telling the truth about these men, it's baffling to me that she doesn't/didn't proactively take the lead in taking legal action against them.

Me on Nov 19th in response to
    I don't think she is [more credible than Prince Andrew]. Interest groups will make of it what they want to make of it, and the Press and stream media will go play up what sells.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zable

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Legal Expert Breaks Down Jeffrey Epstein's Jail Guards Being Charged With Falsifying Reports
    (Towards the end of the video, they touch on the interview Prince Andrew gave.)

6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,858
    The whole episode demonstrates the ludicrousness of having a monarchy at the head of state because we can get lumbered with individuals who can do whatever they like, behave in a totally disgraceful manner and there is nothing we can do to get rid of them. If we were a proper democracy and could elect our head of state, we wouldn't have to put up with this bunch of freeloaders who think it's ok to maintain friendships with a convicted paedophile.

Our current (and hopefully soon to be former) Prime Minister said yesterday that he thinks the Royal Family should be "beyond reproach". No Mr Johnson, paedophilia may be beyond reproach in your privileged world and that of the monarchy but most normal and decent Britons are totally repulsed by it and by Prince Andrew's apparent tolerance of it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,367
    Well as far as I have seen it hasn't addressed Mountbatten's thing for pretty boys in military boots yet. So maybe not. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,858
    But they did cover how he tried to overthrow the democratically elected government of the UK which would have been treason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,367
    There has been talk in Northern Ireland for as along as I remember that he was involved in the Kincora Abuse for years. A high profile paedophile ring hat preyed on young boys in Northern Ireland. He had a home in Sligo and was in Ireland often.

10. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,858
    Those rumours haven't been proven but if they are true my earlier point still applies:

11. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,367
    FBI files that were released due to the freedom of information act also have him listed as a homosexual with perversion for young boys. And I think they go back to the 1940s. Homosexuals as you know, don't have a perversion for young boys. Paedophiles do.

12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,198
    Isn't the age of consent in the UK 16 years old?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,858
    The legal age of consent isn't relevant if the minor is considered to be vulnerable as in those circumstances they are not thought to be able to give consent until they are 18. If Andrew's accuser was groomed and trafficked by Epstein, as she alleges, she could be considered to be a vulnerable minor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,198
    So why doesn't age of consent have any relevancy --- I mean legally?

15. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,858
    Because a child who has been groomed and trafficked would be considered to be vulnerable and so legally would not be considered able to give consent. Therefore being 16 or 17 wouldn't be a factor by law. Beyond age 18, the person involved couldn't be considered to be "vulnerable child" although they could be a "vulnerable adult", if for example they had a mental disability.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,118
    The BBC have just announced they will air an interview with Virginia Giuffre for 'Panorama' on December 2nd. The interview was filmed three weeks ago, before Prince Andrew filmed his.

17. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,198
    Then what is the point of age of consent laws?

18. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,858
    The law is designed to protect children in different circumstances including those when consent is coerced. In most cases the age is 16 but to provide additional protection, it recognises that a child of 16 and 17 can still be vulnerable in certain situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Zable

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Me thinks that if any one of Epstein's sexworkers/slaves under the age of 18 helped procure other young sexworkers for him and or his friends then that sexworker/slave will find it harder to have the courts see him/her as vulnerable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,599
    Thanks for weighing in everyone.

I don't know what to think about this. I have always liked Andrew & Fergie. But they have made some stupid choices over the years and this time Prince Andrew has really got himself mixed up in a big hot mess. :fp:

I think he has met the girl in question and I think the photo is real. But just because you have a photo taken with someone where you hold your arm around someone it doesn't mean that there's something sexual going on. It could be just a photo.

If he has had a sexual relationship with her though, I don't think he realized he commited a crime. He probably thought she was older and that she had consented to it. I don't think he was aware of that she was a part of a sex trafficking ring. :eck:

Then as for this interview, it reminds me of Trump's locker room comments in the Presidental debate.
    Saying that for men sex is a positive thing so he should have remembered it, I mean really? :re:

The sweat thing, apparently he was trying to remind the British people of his glory days when he was a former war hero. But the Falkland war was in the 1980s. So I don't buy that he's having a Post tramatic stress thing that makes it impossible for him to sweat more than 15 years later! :llooll:

Also stating that he doesn't remember ever having met the girl and yet being able to say that the photo was taken upstairs in his friends' house!
    That is contradicting himself.

It would have been smarter to say that he met her casually at a party, didn't have sex with her and that he was appalled to learn about Epstein's sexual trafficking.
    But since he didn't say that and just stated that he can't remember as his defense, yes I'd say that he's in trouble.

Even if he is innocent, he has fallen far from grace and come across very badly in the interview. :(

Then as for the monarchy on a whole. I think it's a shame this reflects badly upon Queen Elizabeth II who has spent her whole life doing nothing but serving her people, nation and the commonwealth. She is THE QUEEN and deserves much respect. :hat:

P.S. I also feel bad for his daughters who are trying to help victims of sex trafficking as one of the causes they work with. It must be horrible for them to have their father accused of this. D.S.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019