Princess Amanda Of Moldavia

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Classy Christmas, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Classy Christmas

Classy Christmas Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Here's the former Princess Amanda of Moldavia, played by the beautiful Catherine Oxenberg.

There's a rather popular theory that Amanda was introduced for one of two reasons, if not both:
    1) The Princess Diana craze. The real-life marriage of English royalty, Diana Spencer and Prince Charles, in 1981, kick-started the popularity of Princess Diana worldwide. Her presence, according to theory, eventually leaked into the minds of producers of Dynasty who wanted to sprinkle some royalty into their fictional fantasy. Amanda served that platter, but was often left with little else to do be mop, cry, and steal her mother's boyfriends.
    2) She was a stand-in for Fallon. The Carrington clan was set off-balance when Pamela Sue Martin exited as Fallon, and many theorize that Amanda was brought on merely as a filler. She wasn't as ambitious or conniving as Fallon, but standing in as a Carrington daughter sufficed well enough some could argue.​

What's your thoughts?

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,821
    Medals:
    I think it's a bit from Column A and a bit from Column B.

Catherine had played Princess Diana in a 1981 TV movie prior to joining Dynasty (and again after Dynasty, in a 90's TV movie), so that Diana link was definitely there, tied in with the fact that she was real life royalty. So producers obviously wanted to capitalize on that. She also had social cachet being a European royal hanging out in New York with Andy Warhol and that crowd (her and her mother are mentioned in his diaries).

But she was also obviously a Fallon replacement too. The timing of her arrival was part of a chain of "one out, one in" casting for young Carrington females (Fallon left and within episodes, Amanda had arrived, Amanda left and in the same episode, Leslie arrived).

I've said it before though, it would have been much more interesting if they'd based Amanda on another high profile Euro princess of the era.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,297
    Medals:
    Well, let's not forget that she was married to Prince Charles, the future king of England.
    Amanda was introduced as sort of blank slate, born and raised in a British vacuum, and there was nothing interesting about the Moldavians, also very much a blank slate monarchy.
    Maybe they wanted to capitalize on something but it didn't resonate at all.
    Perhaps she should have been the princess who marries one of the American characters we already knew (Adam or Jeff). It would have been so easy to connect them with Lady Ashley.
    But instead we got a new member of the Dynasty clan who was almost immediately sidelined as becoming the new member of another dynasty.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,351
    Medals:
    Like everything on DYNASTY, it would have worked better if everybody were a little more relaxed. And the dialogue had made any sense.

After PSM left, Joan said Alexis needed a daughter, so Amanda happened. I liked the casting for Amanda and Prince Michael (I would have named him something else, but as Michael Praed was really named Michael Prince, I guess Prince Michael was inevitable) but I didn't like the casting for King Galen at all... And I also think that Count Pierre at the La Mirage grand opening should have been attached to the Moldavians in some introductory way. Maybe PeeWee DeVilbus, too.

Blend these goddess-damned dynasties, baby!

But since when did any pantomimed story from DYNASTY resonate??

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Angel Gabriel

Angel Gabriel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    Most certainly. Even the accidental mention of a fourth child Alexis makes during that rather pleasant "Even Worms Can Procreate" dining room scene in #4.23 is dropped just one episode after Fallon suffers that crippling headache on her almost-iconic carousel ride. The replacement was already under way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SantaCarrintonEwingsBells

SantaCarrintonEwingsBells Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Medals:
    Amanda was most certainly a Fallon replacement, but she was also brought in to capitalise on the Princess Diana craze, she had only married Charles a couple of years earlier (in fact the same year DYNASTY started)

Amanda was the first in a long run of Fallon replacements, after her came Leslie - who the producers said was to be very similar to PSM’s Fallon ironically, the after Leslie came Virginia who David Paulson describes as being rather Grace Kelly like (a big lie)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    Medals:
    I don't think Cuzzin' Veeerginia was supposed to replace Fallon - more like she was supposed to be a replacement Krystle ie the outsider thrown into the Carrington fold. Of course, the actress did a lousy job and got the boot after 13 episodes.

8. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +592
    Virginia was more likely a remplacement for Dana.

9. Piggy It's Kermit Outside

Piggy It's Kermit Outside Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    She looked more like a replacement for that Madame from that brothel...

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    I liked Virginia but not the actress who dubbed all her lines.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,668