1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Priscilla Presley's Dallas contract prevented her becoming a Bond girl.

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Swami, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    I read recently in an excellent Bond book (Some Kind of Hero 007) that apparently Priscilla Presley was the first choice for the role of Stacey Sutton in the 1985 Bond film "A View To A Kill" but was unable to accept it due to her Dallas commitments at the time. As a result of that Tanya Roberts got the role.

Swami

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,438
    I dont think I see PP as a Bond Girl but she did do plenty of "bikini shots" back in the days of Dallas that would fit in with being a Bond girl.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gold Canyon 340

Gold Canyon 340 Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +57
    They should have TOTALLY let her go... good riddance!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    luckily this kept the door open for landing the perfect feature film role down the road

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    I'm a little confused by this thread. Did her contract exclude her from working on other projects or did filming commitments prevent her from working on a Bond film. There is a marked difference between the two. I would have thought the producers from Lorimar would have been happy to have one their stars appear in a major movie franchise...even as a marketing ploy.

I'm baffled why Victoria Principle was never asked to appear in a Bond movie. She was after all one of the most recognized faces on the planet due to Dallas.

6. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    The book quotes: " In April 1984 Elvis Presley's ex-wife Priscilla was prevented from becoming a Bond girl due to her commitments to television soap Dallas. This paved the way for actress Tanya Roberts".

In the book's reference section their source for this information is listed as "Hollywood Soundtrack" (Weekly Variety).

Swami

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +133
    As far as I remember this was also mentioned in the Bond documentary for A View to Kill that is included in the Bond DVD collection (with other actresses' names that were in discussion). Since it was made by EON (the studio who produces 007) it's rather official - the documentary, narrated by Patrick Macnee, was made in the late 90's.

But the reason given by @sami's book is different to the reason cited, for example here another source: "Presley may have had the inside track, but according to one New York based journalist who spoke to 007Forever, Presley was not interested in playing the role and the search to fill the role continued elsewhere."

Roger Moore realized that Tanya Roberts' mother was younger than him and before Roberts was cast he tried to talk the producers into another actress. Presley is 10 years older than Roberts - so she was probably considered for that reason too.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    All of which meant only Lois Chiles and Kristina Wayborn remain the only Bond girls to appear in Dallas.

Barbara Carrera was in the non-EON, unofficial Bond film Never Say Never Again so she doesn't really count. Especially in awful Angelica Nero guise.

Swami

9. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +338
    ya know she wasn't very good in Dallas, sometimes she was fine and other times she was awful, though she was great in those films, i dunno if the director or if it's her giving a damn ?? but her acting was better in those films than on Dallas. honestly i'm glad she wasn't a bond girl i just can't see it i'm sorry. also there are certain bond films i don't even remember if i saw them or not and View to a kill is one of those films that i don't remember if i saw it or not and if i have it's been years upon years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Thank God.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    Perhaps she wouldn't have been any worse than Tanya Roberts who was one of the weakest Bond girls. But at the same time she did do well in the Naked Gun films.

Swami

12. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +338
    that's why i said i can't remember if i saw that one cause i don't remember how good or bad she was to be fair. though my favorite film of hers is 1979's Tourist Trap
    Tonya Roberts i mean.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +338
    yes she was, ya know on my opinion when it comes to actors/actress's if they give a damn about the material and have a director who is able to help them reach their strengths as an actor those are the times you get a good performance. take Eric Roberts he's a damn good actor but i've seen him in films where he was dreadful. Dennis Hopper is another one where you watch a film like say Speed where he's brilliant than you watch some of the lesser known stuff his B movies where depending on the film at times he gave it his all and other times you wonder how he even made it as an actor.

i see it all the time, take 3 of the Carridines, with John he can be really good and he gave it his all but there were films where that he was medicore, with Keith he could be really good but than i watched a lifetime movie some years back where he was the Villain and he was simply awful in it. than you have David who never was the greatest actor, depending on the role and the film he could be pretty good actually. but than you watch some of his lesser known stuff like (1989)'s Tropical Snow where he's painfully bad in it.

some of the folks who were cast on Dallas is a lot like that i think. some of them i think their acting actually got better when they got older, Linda Gray now i'm not saying she was awful but there were plenty of times where they easily could have used more takes. but than there were times she was really good in it too, same with Victoria P. she could be pretty good too but than she could be really awful as well but i think i've made my point cause now i'm starting to repeat myself i'm sorry about that

14. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    No great loss. I don't think she'd have made a great Bond girl anyway! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    I can't really picture her in that role to be honest. Perhaps she was better suited for the Naked Gun movies.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Yeah she's more suited to comedy with the plastic expression she has on her face.

Even more so now since she's had plastic surgery done. Oops that's a bit naughty, nevertheless I hardly recognised her in more recent pictures. Victoria Principal still looks beautiful even with the work she's had done but Priscilla for me just looks scary! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    Whereas both Lois Chiles and Kristina Wayborn acquitted themselves well in their Bond roles.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    To be honest the only selling point with Priscilla is she's the former wife of Elvis Presley.

In my opinion she's not a particularly good actress, she was par for the course on Dallas. It was certainly clear to me that Lorimar only wanted her as Jenna because of the cache that she was Elvis's ex-wife. A simple marketing ploy. In my opinion her iteration of Jenna stayed too long, she had zero chemistry with Steve Kanaly. They weren't believeable as a couple. She should've exited the show when Bobby returned to Pam in season ten. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    To be fair there were worse actors/actresses than Priscilla, especially in the final seasons of the show. She was certainly much better than them.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  20. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    especially since her wooden acting was an integral part of her character in the Naked Gun - if anything they played it up to heighten the absurdity and silliness of her surroundings.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2