1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Prisoner's Judith McGrath has died

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by Canon, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Priz.jpg

Veteran actress Judith McGrath, best known for All Saints, Prisoner & A Country Practice, has died aged 70.

She appeared in Prisoner from 1979, initially in a minor role as warden played Colleen “Po Face” Powell, before becoming a principal and rising to the ranks of Deputy Governor, totalling 263 episodes.

On A Country Practice she played Bernice Hudson for 149 episodes before 493 episodes of All Saints as salt-of-the-earth Matron Yvonne ‘Von’ Ryan -the only original cast member to remain across its entire 12 seasons.

“I did love the show and I loved playing the character, but there were times when I though ‘Move on Jude, just get on with it.’ But it just seemed to roll over.

“It’s a funny thing. You’re there and you think ‘I’ve had enough now.’ I thought the character had reached a certain point unless it got reinvented. And of course, they did. They kept reinventing a bit.

“I suppose we all go through that phase, but some people really act upon it.”

Other credits included Age of Consent, Bluey, Skyways, Young Ramsay, Special Squad, Neighbours, The Flying Doctors, Round the Twist, Police Rescue and Winners & Losers. Film credits included Backstage and Age of Consent.

Priz2.jpg

When All Saints was axed by the network, McGrath was critical of Seven moving its timeslot, and was vocal about executives not attending the end of filming.

“None of the big boys from Mahogany Row were there, but you expect that. I’m being quite vile today, aren’t I?” she said at the time.

“I’d say it’s ‘heart’ would be its legacy and its characters,” she said. “Because it was such a character-based show. You got to know the people. They were in your living room each week, so you became very familiar with them. And people like that. They feel part of it.

“I can always remember when Country Practice finished, and I was driving home to Queensland through the country. And people were quite bereft because they felt it was their show.”

McGrath was also busy on the stage, having trained at Brisbane Arts Theatre and being a company member of Twelfth Night Theatre under theatre director, Joan Whalley.

“I love doing kid’s television too. Things like Round the Twist, Animal Farm were fun. It’s like you used to do in radio drama. It’s extending the belief a bit, character wise. They’re lovely to work on. Especially when you’re always cast as the nasty one,” she once said.

“Or some theatre. But you know, roles for women my age, they’re a bit dicey.”

http://tvtonight.com.au/2017/10/vale-judith-mcgrath.html

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    I watched her first brief appearance in Prisoner just a few days ago. I've only heard great things.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +387
    She was masterful playing the part of the wonderfully sardonic Colleen "po face" Powell in Prisoner.

Very sad news and 70 is no age to go these days.

RIP

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,149
    Gosh, this is sad news, Powell is one of my favourites from the show and I keep hoping she will make an appearance in WENTWORTH.

What....? :eck:

You haven't watched PCBH ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Well, I've tried and failed in the past but I think it has clicked this time - I'm on Episode 50!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,149
    I've been planning a re-watch ever since I finished FALCON CREST, but so many new shows keep getting in the way.

You're in for a fantastic time with PCBH, so many exciting, mad and vulnerable characters to look forward to.

Are you currently watching WENTWORTH when it airs? I'm curious (if you are) how you're finding watching both.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    No, I haven't seen anything of Wentworth. I thought it best to try and get through Priz first. So come back to me in about five years!

• Funny Funny x 2