Queen Avoids Tax By Putting Money In Offshore Tax Havens

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Angela Channing, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    Last month I completed my tax return for the year 2016-17. I was relieved to finish it relatively early as often I procrastinate and do it shortly before the deadline on 31st January. I dutifully sent off my cheque for my tax bill even though I didn't earn a lot of money in that year.

Today, we've had the revelation that Queen Elizabeth II has been avoiding paying some of her taxes by hiding money in an offshore tax haven. She is one of the richest women and must be laughing her head off to think that people like me pay all our taxes while she behaves like a free-living parasite on the backs of other hard-working people.

[​IMG]

Huge leak 'reveals Queen's private estate invested millions of pounds offshore'

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alexis
    Thinking

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    Not really surprising. She's said to have the largest jewellery collection in the world. Most of it plunder and the very first blood diamonds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    The Queen is protected by the police but dodging tax reduces funds available for them. When her husband was in hospital recently his care was paid for by taxes which she choses to avoid paying. It's an absolute disgrace that the taxes of ordinary people are higher and our services are being cut because people like her are dodging paying their fair share of taxes.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    It is disgraceful. Over privileged people who do virtually nothing while there are hard working people who can't catch a break and people starving on the streets not far from where the Queen lives. I'll never understand the need for this sort of hierarchy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Are the costs offset by the tourism it brings in?

6. Alexis
    Thinking

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    I wouldn't imagine so at all. But that's the usual cry we hear from people defending them.

7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    I'm from another country, so I have no vested interest. Why do their defender defend them -- nostalgia?

8. Alexis
    Thinking

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    Probably or wanting things to remain as they once were, fear of change... I mean look at brexit. All that fear mongering over Britain becoming a multicultural society. It's ok for them to invade and takeover half the globe but how dare someone foreign come to Britain and want to work. Also a lot people are just thick. Must be a British thing, to enjoy belonging to a part of history or whatever. Even if that history is really just a blood spilled list of war, atrocities and theft. But you'd have be an idiot to say that they should just be allowed to live a life of forever privilege and luxury when they do nothing really worthwhile. All we get is cutbacks and taxes and a failing NHS and yet it's justifiable for the Queen to spend 370 million on redoing Buckingham palace. Somewhere most of the British people will never set foot in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    Because we are stupid!

Why else would we give them million of pounds when we are cutting state support for disabled people? Their defenders say "but the Royals attract tourists" but so do the pigeons in Trafalgar Square but no one gives them £50 million every year. Their defenders say "but the Royals work so hard" however I don't consider going to the ballet, shaking a few hands and smiling to be hard work. Real hard work is going into Grenfell Tower while it is burning around you but those firefighters had their pay cut in real terms while the Royal got an increase in their sovereign grant. The stupid British public say we should leave the EU because it's undemocratic but we support a tax dodging head of state voted for by precisely no one.

I have never heard one convincing argument why we continue having a monarch as a head of state in a country that claims it's a democracy. It's total lunacy and hearing that they dodge paying taxes while other people in Britain dutifully hand over their taxes shows the affection that the British people have for this family is not reciprocated. Remember this is the family who were teaching our current Queen to give Nazi salutes while our government was considering going to war to defeat Nazism.

[​IMG]

10. Alexis
    Thinking

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    Ohh! You went there... I was gonna! lol But then I scaled it back a bit for fear of being attacked. But fair dos! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    People are welcome to attack me and my views and I will robustly defend everything I said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    It's nothing to do with tourism. It would just be too difficult to get rid of them at this stage. I wouldn't wish the Queen any harm but the lifestyle is ridiculous. I really do object to Charles ever being King.

13. Mrs Emelee Newman

Mrs Emelee Newman Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,647