1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random things you hate

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Emelee, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,532
    Yes, and I am amused by how hard they try to obscure them. Car dealers seem to be the worst offenders. The producer of the ads will lower the volume of the voice-over, speed up their speech, and will play music over the speech, all in an effort to make it sound like a murmur. One locally produced radio ad for Comcast has one of my favorite DJ's trying to read thirty seconds of disclaimers in about ten seconds, and she sounds like she's on amphetamines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    Yet another actor (Joaquin Phoenix) lending his remarkable talents in a short film called Guardians of Life bashing us about climate change. To add weight to the theory the world is going up in smoke they've used recent images from Australia's bush fires. Someone should tell Joaquin to open his blinds and take a look at what's happening down the east coast of Australia...much welcome rain...and plenty of it.

Why do the producers use extreme weather events to create documentaries pushing climate change? Since the first dawn this planet has suffered extreme weather events. For those unfamiliar with Australia I present to you in part a poem by Dorothea Mackellar....

I love a sunburnt country,
    A land of sweeping plains,
    Of ragged mountain ranges,
    Of drought and flooding rains.
    I love her far horizons,
    I love her jewel-sea,
    Her beauty and her terror –
    The wide brown land for me!
    The poem was first published in 1908 and named Core of My Heart but is now known to all as My Country. Many Australians can recite this, probably more so than our national anthem. It sums up beautifully what Australia is and has always been.

I'm just a little tired of celebrities bashing the broader community about us having to change our habits while they still get to indulge their fanciful lives. Bugger off!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,381
    Without wanting to minimise the tragedies of those affected, the extent of the fires has been grossly exaggerated in the world media.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,532
    We get similar 'treatment' from those with an agenda every time a hurricane hits (or even comes close to) Florida. Watching the national news in the past decade or so (and even the weather channels) you'd think Florida never had a hurricane before 1980 or so, and even if we did, they were soooo much more sedate and well-behaved than the hurricanes of the past two decades, which are "quite obviously" getting more ferocious due to the evil evil evil climate change. We have to watch the coverage to some extent since we have to keep informed, but the hyperbole! They're shameless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,063
    Try being in Northern Ireland the day someone said Storm Ophelia (extremely minor and blew over a couple of trees) was about to 'make landfall'. Oh how we laughed! :fp::fp::fp:

6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    Aaargh! It's that time of the year again. Tobacco prices went up! Bastards. Bastards! :bang:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Smokers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  8. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    Yes? And?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,521
    The expression "man cave" and how it's supposed somehow that only men wants one. I would love to have one too and I'm sure a whole lot of other women want one as well. We too can enjoy relaxing in front on a big screen TV, play video games, drink alcohol, play pool or darts etc. etc. We too can want a room that isn't matching the rest of the house.

Stop gender such rooms!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    No. You can't have it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,981
    But that term didn't emerge from misogyny, but misandry. It's a slam at men, not a refusal to allow women to have one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    Maybe a man can force you out of the living room or your bedroom and make you stay in the basement or attic then you can have a woman cave.

13. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    Many women here in Oz appreciate the man cave especially if husbands have sons. Once upon a time the backyard was the domain where fathers and sons could bond. The backyard is forever shrinking and man caves are now a common theme across households. It's where fathers, sons, daughters and wives can bond over computer games etc. Man cave doesn't necessarily mean it' for men only and besides women have enjoyed their comfort zones for centuries....

Sew.jpg

:p

14. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,532
    The female version is known as the "She Shed" and I hear they are the hottest thing right now.

15. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,521
    Did I say it emerged from misogyny? I don't think it did that at all. :rolleyes: In today's world, it's not a slam at men either. Many men are proud of their man caves or even demands a man cave. Why? Because they're so bloody awesome to have!!!

16. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,521
    Maybe it's a cultural thing, but men in Sweden have never ever been forced down to a basement. They have always co-existed with their wives above. Basements in Sweden have historically mainly been only for boilers, storage and sometimes laundry rooms & saunas. No place to actually spend much time.

17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    The purpose of a man cave though is a place for a man to relax and do the things that his wife may not be interested in. Watch sports, movies, play pool, be a geek. It's a bit of me time and distance. Women like that too of course, but they tend to take over the house a bit more.

18. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    Here in Australia we have Men's Sheds. These community based facilities allow men to congregate, talk freely among themselves and assist the wider community if called upon. They are primarily made up of retired carpenters, electricians, plumbers and others from all walks of life. I'm all for it. For some retirement isn't all about fishing, golf or hanging around the house. Men's Sheds can be good for the soul.

19. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,521
    Do they? Again, must be a cultural thing or maybe a generation thing. In most Swedish homes I've visited, there tend to be comfortable big couches and a big screen TV. Perfect for relaxing after work and just watch sports, series or movies.

Many women in Sweden watch sports too. I work at a upper secondary school with a majority or female teachers (about 70/30), and the main conversation topic around the coffee break table is definitely sports. Skiing of all kinds in particular.

See I don't think men and women have such different interests really. Not to my experience.

20. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    You mean something like this?
    upload_2020-2-22_14-21-5.png