Random things you hate

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Emelee, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    I work with a couple of really nice women but dear God I am sick to death of them coming over to talk to me about shite the minute I sit down to eat my breakfast or lunch. I like to enjoy my coffee in peace !

• Like Like x 2
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,719
    Why do some people feel the need to do ten minutes' worth of banking transactions at an ATM, knowing there's a dozen people waiting in line behind them to simply withdraw a few bucks? If you need to do all that, GO INTO THE BANK! I've always thought of the ATM as an "express lane" of sorts, but apparently not everyone thinks so. I'd understand if the bank is closed, but both times this happened (this week) was during regular hours. I've been stuck behind people sticking in multiple cards, printing half-a dozen receipts, etc. Next time, I guess I'll just go in the bank to get my $40 and skip the line. :confused:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,824
    Wow, the banners look great in this forum

• Like Like x 2
  4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,719
    In the 'blackend-purple' scheme I use, this forum has a black background, which makes everything just jump out at you. I like it, actually, but all the 'buttons' above the quick-reply box must be written in the same gray as the background, because they appear to have nothing in them. You have to hover over the box to get its description to pop up. Off-topic, of course, but just thought I'd mention it before I forget it. It's not a 'random thing I hate,' just a random thing I noticed.

5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,324
    I've done this several times. I think most people don't even know there's another PIN automat inside the bank.

6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,824
    Thanks for bringing it up. I've changed the colours, but I'm struggling to find the symbols, I'll look a littler deeper later

7. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    I despise Christmas Lunch season. I've had seven Christmas Lunches this week, three of them yesterday. I'm booked solid up to December 1st. Yesterday, I was forced to eat three three-course Christmas Lunches at three different venues in one city. And I'd already been forced to have two breakfasts. I'm having to prance 8-14 miles a day just to work up an appetite between lunches.

8. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    In November??!?! That's crazy!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    I had Yuletide pate today with redcurrant pieces served with a mulled wine chutney, toast and butter. Followed by Roast Turkey with pork, cranberry and apricot chipolatas, sage and onion stuffing and cranberry sauce served with roast potatoes and a selection of seasonal vegetables. And Christmas Pudding with brandy butter flavoured ice cream. I then had to nip 0.8 miles away for a Yule steak burger with turkey and cranberry sauce. With Breaded Mushroom Baubles . Followed by Chocolate Orange Nemesis and Toffee Apple Mulled Cider Crumble. I'm only doing it to be sociable. I've exchanged Christmas greetings thrice.

Some supermarkets have got their Christmas sandwiches on sale already. I've seen Boxing Day sandwiches too.

10. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    I can understand that. Some people just don't understand that I might not want to talk to them. Even when I am using very obvious tactics like replying to conversation with vague and bored sounding murmurs of: "Uh-huh. Hmm. Yeah. Ah." Or even avoiding eye contact.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    If you think that is bad, try getting your money eaten by the ATM when the bank is closed! This happened to my mom a couple weeks ago. She put the money in an envelope to be deposited into the checking account. The machine kept asking "are you finished?", then after hitting yes, a message showed up saying: deposit: $0. She had to call another branch of the credit union that was open and request that they send an e-mail to the one we were at explaining what happened. Luckily, since she had all of the proper information written on the envelope that held the money, they gave it back to us after the weekend when they emptied the machines.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    Microsoft. Last year, when my mom bought me Microsoft Word 2016, she failed to notice that you have to pay a fee EVERY YEAR to keep it active! With the first renewal fee quickly approaching on December 3rd, I bought Microsoft Word 2010 on the disk a few weeks ago because I refuse to pay over $100 for a frickin' word program every year! Microsoft is evil for inventing these ridiculous renewal fees with their latest Word programs on the cards! Apparently, a lot of people had the same idea as me, because when I went on Amazon to buy an older program, ALL of the disks of Microsoft Word 2013 were out of stock and there were only three left of Microsoft Word 2010! (I don't know if they have more of them in stock by now.)

13. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And that is all.

14. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    Does anyone have any polite tips for asking a friend to stop texting in their company? And checking FB?

15. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    Sorry, Sarah. I really wish I did! This reminds me of my mom's so-called "friends" who refuse to communicate with her regularly unless she uses Facebook! Mom told them that it was very hard for her to use Facebook because she is not good at tech stuff and asked if she could e-mail or talk on the phone with them instead, but no! Pretty rude and inflexible for friends who have known her for over 20 years!

16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    I love my best friend to death but his habit of just constantly staring at his phone is so rude and infuriating. If I say anything, he gets really upset!

17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,719
    How about "If you don't put that little toy of yours down and pay attention to the person standing right in front of you, that person is going to snatch your toy away and throw it under a bus" ?

One of my favorite parlor games to get these chattering people away from me (or out of my way in a supermarket, etc.) is paying attention as if I know what they're talking about and pretend to be listening to a regular conversation. As you hang on their every word and react as you gauge their reactions (laugh when they say something sarcastically, etc.) it totally creeps them out---but it's worked every time I've tried it. They move along and (maybe) realize they need to pay attention to their surroundings and quieten down.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    Haha lol I've seen a guy online do that Dan, with a pretend cell phone conversation. He answers the questions of the person beside him (who is talking to their friend down the phone) but through his own phone. Very funny lol

19. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    But surely that stuff only works on certain types of people? I rarely emote and am not influenced by the emotional reactions of others, without rational/logical/reasonable/profitable/ reason to do so. Emotional manipulation strategies don't seem to work well on me to the point that I've detached from distant relatives (half-sibling and all it's children) for their unsubtle ploys to emotionally affect/control/blackmail me.

20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +682
    I always like to eat in peace myself, albeit that's not always possible.