1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ranking ALL Knots Landing seasons

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by BakeSoap90, Feb 9, 2020.

1. BakeSoap90

BakeSoap90 Soap Chat Member EXP: 3 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Knots Landing lovers, it's time for us to rank all the seasons of the most famous cul-de-sac in the world. How would you rank all the seasons on a scale of 0 to 5 points? (for me it's very hard since it's my favorite show). Let's start!!

Season 1 - 2.5/5 (not a fan of stand alone episodes)
    Season 2 - 3/5
    Season 3 - 3/5
    Season 4 - 3.5/5
    Season 5 - 4/5
    Season 6 - 4.5/5
    Season 7 - 4/5
    Season 8 - 3.5/5
    Season 9 - 4.5/5
    Season 10 - 4/5
    Season 11 - 3.5/5
    Season 12 - 2.5/5 (the finale was very good though)
    Season 13 - 3/5
    Season 14 - 4/5

Knots Landing: Back to the Cul-de-sac - 3/5

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,542
    1 = 4
    2 = 4
    3 = 3
    4 = 5
    5 = 5
    6 = 5
    7 = 5
    8 = 3
    9 = 5
    10 = 3
    11 = 5
    12 = 2
    13 = 3
    14 = 3

BTTCDS = 2

It's an average, of course. Every season has episodes that I'd rate 5/5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,661
    This one is really difficult. All the Lorimar shows had the ability to correct their seasons if they went truly wrong for some reason, so there are a few cases of "Season X, b". Anyway, I´ll try to make it simple:

1- Seasons 3-5, 11-12
    2- 1-2, 6-8, 10
    3- 9, 13-14 & BTTCDS

I also happen to like THIS:

upload_2020-2-10_15-42-42.jpeg

4. Knots Blogger

Knots Blogger Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +135
    In my opinion seasons 4-6 are easily five star seasons, they are almost flawless. I’d have to think about all the other seasons however.

5. BakeSoap90

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Please do, I'm curious :)

6. Knots Blogger

Knots Blogger Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +135
    My blog is currently up to season nine of the show, I post every Thursday, I currently have season six ranked as #1 season and season eight in the bottom spot at #8. My blog is www.knotsblogging.com

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. BakeSoap90

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20
    This thread has been a failure, it's clear the Knots Landing's fans don't want or like ranking seasons. Funny because in the Dallas and Dynasty thread people were willing to show their opinions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    But you didn't offer opinions...just numbers. That doesn't spark conversation as easily. Saying "why" one season is higher than another, or why none of them scored a five...something about what you liked or didn't like....that might have gotten more reaction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,542
    She did the same on the Dynasty forum, and 10 minutes later we were on page 2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,923
    I tried, but it's just TOO HARD!!

11. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,542
    All you have to do is to calculate Knots' average score (per season) in your versus threads. Sorry James, no more excuses!

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. BakeSoap90

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You can rank the season and then explain why you like it or not, you can say whatever you want, I didn't say anything about not having any type of conversations.

• Like Like x 1
  13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,923
    Well, I tried that ...

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

Season 4

... but then realised that Season 12, my least favourite season, would end up ranking higher than Season 3 because Dallas was the only other soap left by that time, and I just couldn't live with that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,598
    Okay I will give it a try to rank the Knots seasons too. But they are harder to rank than the Dynasty seasons since it's a more consistently great show. It also had many more seasons.

But oh well here we go and if you haven't watched the show in full there's some major spoiler warnings in this text:

1. Season 6
    I think this is my most favorite season because of the Val's babies storyline. It was such a great storyline that span for most of the season and involved so many of the characters. You had Val who went into herself, ran away and became Verna when nobody believed her that her babies were alive. Then there was Gary who didn't know he was the actual father of those babies. Abby who knew that he was and accidentally told the wrong person who made the babies disappear. Karen & Mack who finally believed Val and went looking for the babies. Ben who was not really sad the babies were gone since they weren't his.

Then on top of this plot you also had a great cast this year. I love the addition of Alec Baldwin. Joshua was such an interesting multi layered character and his romance with Cathy was still rather sweet this season before it all went off the rails.

2. Season 3
    This season started out with a major transformation as Sid shockingly died. I had totally expected him to survive the first time I saw that episode. It was so sad. I liked the journey it enabled Karen to take to come to terms with his death and how it pushed her from being a housewife into trying to take over Sid's business and fill his shoes sort of say. It was so difficult for her. It was also good how they allowed Karen time to grieve and didn't just rush her into a new romance. It felt realistic.

I love the addition of Lilimae to the main cast. It was great how she moved in with Gary and Val. Then towards the end of the seasons we also had the beginning of the Val-Gary-Abby triangle. It was kind of a cat and mouse game until the very end when Gary was found in bed with Abby and Val left him.

Then we also had Richard and Laura. Laura going to work and being more successful than her husband who lost his footing and suffered a nervous break down. She wants to leave him but it doesn't work that well. Then in the middle of it all she is pregnant with his baby.

3. Season 4
    I love the addition of Lisa Hartman to the cast as Ciji. It was great how they tied the Ciji plot together with Kenny and Gary and they went into business together. Also all that drama that followed when Ciji ended up dead and we didn't know if Gary had killed her since he'd been on a drunken bender. In this season we revisit Gary's alcoholism. We see how he is torn between Val and Abby. He is with Abby but a part of him wants Val back. Their whole messy divorce.

Laura going back to Richard and opening up the restaurant. Karen also meets a new love in Mack and it's hilarious when they go camping and how mismatch they sometimes are and yet so great together.

4. Season 7
    Val finally has her babies back. So now she and Ben can get married and be a family. Only problem is that Gary now knows that the babies are his and keep hanging around. That scene at the wedding when he kiss Val's hand and tells her he wishes her and Ben well is so heartbreaking.

Joshua's tragic end is brilliant too and you feel so bad for Lilimae and Cathy. At least until she turns her attention to Ben. Not cool he is supposed to be her brother in law.

We also have Empire valley, excellent guest stars like Ava Gardner. Abby & Gary's marriage falling apart as he mourns his brother's death. Oops! :giggle:

5. Season 2
    Still stand alone episodes. But Abby's arrival spices up the show and makes it more entertaining. She sleeps with other people's husband and uses people and yet you like her. I think that's the key to her character. She is a bad girl but she also has vulnerabilities and flaws that makes you understand her. Sid is still on the show too. What a nice couple he and Karen made. Laura goes to work and Richard cheats on her with Abby. In the hot tub that wasn't all that hot. Val and Gary's love for each other is tested when he strays and she gets a cancer scare. Ginger is pregnant and reunites with Kenny. The girl who shot JR makes a guest apperance, as does Patrick Duffy and Larry Hagman. The Dallas fan in me rejoices. :spinning:

6. Season 5
    I love the addition of Ben to the cast. If Gary is with Abby I think Ben makes a nice husband for Val. He is a nice guy. The addition of Mack's friend Greg who is a corrupted politician is also really interesting and forever changes the show. It was great that Lisa Hartman came back too. But I really didn't like Diana and Chip. Diana became so stupid in this season that it ruined her character. But yeah Gary getting Val pregnant and then marrying Abby did create lots of good drama. Laura hooking up with Greg is also different than when she was with Richard.

7. Season 1
    This season is a nice introduction to the couples on the Cul-De-Sac. I love how they rotate which couple that the episodes focus on and how they all get their plots. It has some great stand alone episode and for me as a Dallas fan it's a plus when there are guest appearances by Dallas stars. :)

8. Season 9
    Laura's exit is so tragic. But handled well. I miss not getting to see the funeral though. I was sad to see Lilimae leave the show too. Gary and Val has this on off thing going on. Jill goes psycho and tries to kill Val. Huh? :confuse:When Jill first showed up she was a rather likable character so how can she go from that to this?

9. Season 8
    Olivia on drugs was handled really well. But this season also had Karen's kidnapping that dragged on for several episodes and the motivation for that one came out of nowhere.
    The addition of Paige was nice. I liked that Mack had a daughter. But I didn't like how Jean Hackney ruined solid old Ben's character.

10. Season 10
    Abby & Greg were merger made in heaven. Poor Val is terrified of Jill who tried to kill her. Nobody believes her but Karen. Then finally Gary does too. I like Pat, Frank and Julie.

11. Season 11
    Val gets married to Danny even though we know he beat his old wife. The whole Sally's friend plot was so slow. I disliked Danny a lot. But at least Val and Gary finally found their way back to each other. Aunt Ginny was nice but no replacement for Lilimae. I missed Abby. But at least Olivia was still on the show. I loved Paige and Tom though. If their romance hadn't saved this season for me it would have been ranked lower.

12. Season 12
    I love the addition of Nick. He and Anne were so funny together. I loved the humor of how their plans to swindle people out of money etc always backfired on them. I love that Val and Gary finally got remarried. How we'd waited for that moment, as throughout their time apart it's always been implied that they really belonged together. The addition of Claudia and Kate expands Greg's family a bit.

13. Season 13
    I didn't like how Gary invested all his money in the tidal wave thing and lost everything. You can tell at this point that the show's budget is going down, as they got rid of some sets. I disliked the addition of Vanessa and Pierce. Such annoying characters.

14. Back to the Cul-De-Sac
    It's not really fair to compare this mini-series reunion to the full seasons that were so rich and had between 20-30 episodes since sometimes a story that builds for a longer time is told better. So this is not a bad reunion at all. But it ends up here because the other seasons are just better. Also the recast of Meg was a bit weird. But I loved meeting our favorite neighbours again and it was great how they even brought back Ginger for the anniversary party in the beginning. I loved all the cameos and that Brian Austin Green came back despite his success with Beverly Hills 90210 at the time.

15. Season 14
    This is the worst season for me since I just miss Val so much. Yes we did get a happy ending and I love how Val and Abby came back for that. But I really disliked the Gary and Kate storyline. Also that annoying British character Vanessa. I also wanted Tom and Paige to end up together. So no this was not the best season for me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,542
    Oh dammit. Now I feel like one of those smug lawyers in The Good Wife who's being massively outfoxed by a technical plot twist!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I'm not sure I can rank them all, but I'll do a Top 5.

Season 4 - This season took everything they built in those first three seasons and transformed the show into a lush soap that made sense from the humble beginnings. The way wealth was brought into Knots was gradual and made sense. Richard's restaurant, Gary inheriting money and investing in music, Karen had Knots Landing Motors. Then Ciji was the best kind of new character, because of the impact she had across the canvas. Often times a new character is brought on and the show and existing characters are squeezed into a pretzel to fit them in. I liked that Ciji (and Chip) had clever connections to the majority of the canvas. This was also their first try at an umbrella story and it was a wild ride from beginning to end.

Seasons 5 & 6 - These took what was established in season 4 and really amped it up. These were the most epic seasons I feel in terms of glamour, intrigue and 80s excess. I feel like even things like Wolfbridge, Greg Sumner and the Galveston money made sense even though it was heightened from what we had seen before. Since it was a gradual build it worked. Then you have Val's babies which was truly a gift. This is a story that ran from the 5th season until it finally ended with season 7's Phoenix Rises when Abby revealed her part in the kidnapping. Despite the length, it never dragged and it ALWAYS served the characters. On paper it is a simple story, but they really took the time to allow the characters (particularly Val) to truly feel and experience the weight of what she was going through. The fact that the show stayed so character driven is why this show felt better than the other primetime soaps for me. Everybody had a purpose and a moment to shine, particularly the supporting characters. In seasons 4-6 Diana, Lilimae, Eric and Michael all had pivotal moments that enhanced the stories of the main characters.

Season 8 - Now this one is probably going to surprise people, but this is absolutely in my Top 5. Lynn Latham came into this show after a mostly tired and directionless season and with no knowledge of the show she refreshed and rebooted it while also staying true to who these characters were. Also, similar to the introduction of Ciji, the arrival of Paige was the perfect lightening rod to breathe new life into the Mackenzie family. I even enjoyed the more controversial storylines like Karen's kidnapping and the Jean Hackney saga. Again, it's all in the writing. With Karen's kidnapping I liked that it got her out of the way so Paige could arrive and develop a hold on the family. As controlling as Karen was, that would've never worked with her around. Then, I liked how Phil was connected to Greg, Mack and Anne in a way that makes sense. With Jean Hackney, I get that it sounds wild, but in reality there are Ben's all over the country. I found the backstory completely believable and I loved seeing him gradually unravel. I thought this was a wonderful gift to Doug Sheehan on his way out. Then you have Olivia's drug problem, friendship with Paige and of course Peter and Jill played a crucial part of this season. This was nonstop fun from beginning to end.

Season 1 - Out of the first three seasons I feel this season handled the self contained format the best. Since the show was so new they were raw and it was more unpredictable where the story would go. Karen in particular I felt had more sex appeal and edge than she did in later seasons when she became such a saint. Of course Laura and Richard had great showcases this year as well and were the real stars IMO. The only episode I truly hated was the one with the motor cycle gang, but even that works as throwaway fun.

• Like Like x 2