1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who Ranking the Doctors

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Seaviewer, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    The repeat screenings of Doctor Who have now caught up to where I started so I'm now in a position to offer a somewhat more educated opinion on the Doctors of the modern era.

I'm still naming Capaldi and his whimsical wisecracks as favourite but Tennant's unflagging exuberance runs him a close second. In fact, if I'd watched them through in the proper order in the first place I may well have made him No. 1.

Eccleston must have seemed a safe pair of hands when the were planning the relaunch but he now comes across as rather bland compared to his successors. Nevertheless, I'm still placing him ahead of Smith, whose petulant child routine I never did quite warm up to. On the other hand, I'm naming Karen Gillan's no-nonsense Amy Pond as favourite companion and you probably couldn't have the one without the other as a counterpoint.

Based on her two-word scene so far, I'm provisionally slotting Whittaker in at No. 3. She seems to convey a combination of joy and a sense of wonder that already seems very appealing.

2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    Hmm, off the top of my head, I'd go Smith, Capaldi, Eccleston, Tennant. I really like them all, but Matt Smith feels the most plausibly alien/ancient to me and David Tennant the least.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sarah Danner

Sarah Danner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I won't do a countdown, but my #1 is Tom Baker. Love the curls and scarf combination.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,725
    He is the one I associate with Dr. Who, but I think that may be because at that period the show followed a more conventional format, with arcs and what not, for sci-fi. Or because I loved the Genesis of the Daleks saga.

5. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,050
    I’ve met Tom Baker sometimes.

Oh, I was watching Holby City a few weeks ago. Paul McGann was in it, playing the now homicidal Professor Gaskell. Sylvester McCoy turned up as a patient.

6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,511
    1. David Tennant
    2. Peter Capaldi
    3. Tom Baker
    4. Jon Pertwee
    5. Christopher Eccleston
    6. Matt Smith
    7. Jodie Wittaker

I've not seen enough of Ms Wittaker to form an proper opinion of where to include her in my list but so far she seems to be taking the show down the CBBC route, like Matt Smith did. I know some people see Doctor Who as a children's show but I prefer when they play it a bit more like a science fiction drama than something primarily directed at children.

Didn't see many episodes with the other Doctors to include them in my list.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1