1. Just Look at the Flowers Lizzie

The Walking Dead Ratings Are the Lowest Ever This Season

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead' started by Ome, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,823
    The Walking Dead’s is experiencing its biggest ever ratings drop this season, and the last episode was the lowest rated since Season 3.

Maybe the feeling of hopelessness on the show is all too real right now? Maybe they shouldn’t have killed off Glenn?????????????????? It’s notable that the ratings dip is happening after the series murdered one of our favorite characters, Glenn, who fell victim to Negan’s spiked bat in the most gruesome way in the Season 7 premiere.

According to Entertainment Weekly:

AMC’s mega-hit fell sharply after its seventh season premiere last month, and has declined steadily each week since to mark the steepest ratings fall in the show’s history. In fact, Sunday’s fifth episode of the season delivered the show’s lowest viewership since season 3.

This season, I’ve found myself bored and less invested in the relationships and narratives, especially with Daryl and Rick left defenseless under the rule of Negan and the air being completely sucked out of once badass characters. Despite his charm, Negan’s absolute power hasn’t been that intriguing to watch on screen. Per EW:

Viewership dropped 25 percent for the season’s second episode down to 12.5 million. Such a drop may have been expected somewhat given all the hype around the premiere resolving last season’s fateful circle-of-victims cliffhanger. But then the third episode dropped too (11.7 million), and so did the fourth (11.4 million) and now the fifth (11 million), with TWDmarking a low point for the show since 2013.

Putting it in perspective, seven seasons is a lot for a cable show about zombies and The Walking Dead has managed to make it through with its credibility intact. Just bring Glenn back and forget that first episode ever happened.

I'm surprised by this, I've been loving it all so far. I even mentioned the other day that this could be my favourite season of the series.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,335
    I can't believe the ratings are down this season has been amazing so far.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,823

It's mind boggling!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,335
    I was reading some fans complaints they are upset Rick isn't fighting Negan. They are saying he is not fighting he is letting Negan do whatever he wants.

People should give Rick a break he watched two of his friends get killed in the worst way. He has to feel responsible because he set up the plan to kill Negan and his men. He really didn't know who he was up against. He doesn't want anyone else to die. He will realize he has to fight but he needs to regroup, and come up with a better plan. He doesn't have the people he lost Glenn and Abraham and Daryl. The men left really couldn't help much.

Another complaint is Negan people think they have gone too far with his character. He is always being crude, and belittles people.

I agree but people like him normally love to bring people down so low they can't fight anymore.

People blame Daryl for Glenn's death.

I get why fans are angry Glenn and Abe died but it is the writers who write the script. I would have been devastated if Daryl got killed but I really don't think I would give up on the series.

It is funny my brother called me last night, and said what am I watching? I was confused at first with the ocean scenes but it was explained. On Instrgram a lot of people didn't like the episode. I thought it was good.

I guess they do these kind of episodes so they don't have to pay all the cast money. I'm sure Alanna (Tara) makes less than Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus. I think they pay the cast less so they can do more with the walkers, and special effects. The highest paid actor is Andrew Lincoln which is 90,000.00 per episode. It seems like a lot but when the cast of Big Bang Theory gets 1 million it truly doesn't seem far.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,823
    I don't understand it and the reasons given seem petty, though I guess anything is possible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ms. Paige

Ms. Paige Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,835
    Even with the ratings down it's still the most watched show on Cable TV.......:zombie:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,823
    Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ms. Paige

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,835
    ‘Walking Dead’ ratings are lower than ever: Is Negan to blame?

When it comes to TV, generally violence sells, but that hasn't been the case as of late for "The Walking Dead."

Although the show’s seventh season came in like lion with the premiere garnering more than 17 million viewers, it’s going out like a lamb. Sunday's mid-season finale reeled in just 10.6 million viewers.

Viewership for the show has waned throughout the season. The question is why? And the answer could be Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Morgan plays the villain Negan, a character viewers love to hate -- or at least they are supposed to love to hate him. In the first episode, his violent explosion with a barbed wire-wrapped baseball bat left two fan-favorite characters bloodied to a pulp. It was a shocking move on the show's part that earned lots of eyeballs, but the attention didn't last.

By episode two, the audience appeared to have had enough with Negan. About 12.5 million viewers tuned in for episode two of the season -- a serious drop from the premiere ratings.

Some insiders suggest that perhaps the loss of millions of viewers in a month indicates fans didn’t much appreciate AMC’s decision to murder the two much-loved characters from episode one. Others suggest that perhaps viewers simply don’t like Negan, the comic-book anti-hero with a penchant for extreme violence and dictatorship.

Can the show recover from the ratings plummet? "The Walking Dead" is on a break until Feb. 12, so we will have to wait and see.

This makes me wonder if they will kill off Negan sooner than planned? I really don't get this at all. I just love Negan and for viewers to tune out because beloved characters are killed off? What do they except for them to all live happily ever after in the Zombie Apocalypse?

SOA killed off many beloved members and the ratings on this show didn't drop at all and some of the violence on SOA was much worse than I have seen on WD.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,823
    I really don't get this - season 7 have been brilliant and Negan is proving to be an all-time classic character in just a few short months.

I will lose a little faith in the show if they went in this direction.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ms. Paige

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,835
    He has! I find him fantastic.....I feel bad for Jeffrey Dean Morgan it seems he is getting a bad rep and he was thrilled to get this part.

I also think that viewers don't like seeing the main group so down and out...but it can't be all champagne and caviler for them.

Same here!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,823

He has also brought much humour to a show that's usually short due to the nature of the story.

When you're telling a continuous story, the fans shouldn't need the heroes to win at every turn.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mike

Mike Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I think the second half will be more action and gory.I find Negan boring,but the show had to show the arrival of him.His actions and the consequences.In the comics the war takes place over ten years.In the show they will speed it up(thank god).Jeffrey Dean Morgen has said he is only contracted for 2yrs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,823
    I understand not everyone likes Negan, however I'm curious what it is you find boring.

I think he's been a real screen-pleaser, in that he's not dark & twisted like the Governer, or the guys at Terminus. Yeah, I get he is probably more sadistic than previous baddies, but there's something quite unpredictable with this guy and the fact he's constantly smiling just makes me laugh at him.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mike

Mike Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I think I like the Governor more,in that you new were you stood.I do not think Negan is funny or smart.One moment he is laughing and the next he is slicing your guts out..I am not sure if he is sociopath dictator or a psychopath dictator.He takes thing by force and make people serve him and if he does not like you,he kills you.In this world were the dead out number the living and you kill everyone who getting stuff for you,sooner or later the saviors are going to have to go out and get they own stuff and soon after they will turn on Negan.All dictator fall in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    It has nothing to do with Glenn, the show is just terrible and boring. Comic geeks love Negan in the comics but I never did, and he's even worse here. The biggest problem is they are following the comics and when Negan arrives in the comics, there are no good plots left. They've all been used up. From now on, it's just Negan, Negan, Negan, and he's a horrible character.

16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,823

It's a shame you're not enjoying him, I find him a welcome addition to the show and despite his sadistic ways, he's brought much humour to a depressing story.

17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,352
    In that case i predict the overnext season (9) would be the show's last.
    Ratings are spiraling downwards since Negan appeared, so they have to make adjustments to save the TV-show. And they will. ;)

18. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Negan has been a disaster for the show. The writing has been very weak and they have basically ruined Carol's character.