Dallas Character Ray As A Father

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Ray acted like such a hypocrite as Charlie's stepfather. Ray went crazy when he saw Charlie making out in the barn with Brad Pitt. He said "I know about two teenagers in a barn." I guess he did, or he knew about one teenager anyway since he screwed around with Lucy in the barn when she was still in high school and he was already a gray haired man! What a hypocrite! At least Charlie was with a boy her own age.

So Ray tells Jenna "There comes a time when the parents have to decide who comes first - them or their children." What the hell? So Ray in his infinite wisdom decides the solution to making their lives come first is sending Charlie to a boarding school on another continent. That's a bit extreme...Then while he's having Jenna make sure Charlie is just as far away from Randy as possible, he has an affair with a woman he meets on the side of the road.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Pammy P

Pammy P Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +404
    Ray was an inexperienced father and in the instance above with Charlie, I suppose he was trying to do the right thing.

He had never bonded with children before! He was stepfather to Jenna's two, one was a teen and another a new born, but we did not see how Lucas turned out! His natural child Margaret was taken away from him at Birth, again, he would not have been a "hands on father" - absent one with Donna in Washington. Shame they never stayed together as I liked the pairing of the "cowboy and the lady".!

• Like Like x 5
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,793
    I agree with you Kenny. I remember watching the show as a teenager I totally sided with Charlie against her parents.
    Also I think Ray was trying to hard. You can't just take the place of a father or mother when the child in question is already like 15. I'd say Charlie was too old by then to ever have a father-daughter relationship with Ray.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I agree with you Kenny: Ray might be sometimes a big hypocrite. But is he to blame when he has chosen to live with the biggest two-faced woman of all, the one who thinks she has the right to live at Southfork, and wants everyone to believe she´s respectable, when she used to sleep with married senators? The same woman who used Charlie to make Bobby date her again, and the same woman who was stupid enough to think that someone called Renaldo Marchetta would be reliable to meet their daughter? :confuse:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tatianna

Tatianna Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +807
    I believe Ray did the best he could under the circumstances. I agree that with Charlie being a teen when Ray became her step-father was a dire time for Charlie as well as Ray. At that time Charlie was pretty much going to resist male parental advice because she was mad at Bobby for getting back with Pam and she took out her frustrations and rebellion against both Ray and Bobby. Ray had so little time with Margaret that she didn't seem real to him, and the attitude Jenna and Charlie had regarding Margaret's birth didn't help either.

Ray also had been partially raised by Amos krebb's, not the ideal role model by any imagine and measure and sent to live with Jock and Miss Ellie. While jock was loved and admired by Ray, for years he did not know Jock was his father. Ray's past sort of scarred him for fatherhood.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,470
    Everything good about Ray flew out the window once he got indoctrinated into the Cult of Jenna Wade. Including his own daughter. Jenna's deviousness had no limits. She fooled almost everyone into thinking she was some sort of innocent goddess. She probably magically erased everyone's memories about her old habits. When Katherine called her a slut, it might have been a reference to what Jenna used to do with all of those creepy old senators.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. southfork88

southfork88 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    Dallas-264-S11xE13--Brother, Can You Spare A Child--December 11, 1987 0723.jpg Dallas-264-S11xE13--Brother, Can You Spare A Child--December 11, 1987 0728.jpg Dallas-264-S11xE13--Brother, Can You Spare A Child--December 11, 1987 0730.jpg

The stepfather

8. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    How would they call the Charlie-Randy pair today? Randyna? Chardy? :lmao:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dr. Ellby's hair

Dr. Ellby's hair Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    During Ray's last few years in series he went to become increasingly irritating, stubborn old fool. He had conflicts with Donna, Charlie and even Bobby and Clayton had arguments with him. Ray had kind of became the one JR earlier had accused him to be, dumb old cowboy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Even though he wasn’t his dad, Ray did love Mickey and he did what he could to help him. And the dream season would’ve had Ray as a first rate father, when Ray was at his best. He would’ve doted on their unborn baby and he was AMAZING with Tony. It was joy to watch him then. Everything fell apart with Ray’s character in the last season or two along with the rest of the show ;-)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    I actually preferred the Ray of old. Watching those early episodes of Dallas I liked how the writers had Ray stalking the Southfork mansion, just waiting for JR to come strolling out in the middle of the night. At this time Ray reminded me much of Bum in TNT Dallas. However as the series progressed the writers considered how best to keep the character around by creating a "half blood Ewing."

Much like the pairing of Jock/Miss Ellie, JR/Sue Ellen, Bobby/Pam I thought the pairing of Ray and Donna was brilliant. Excellent chemistry which shone through the television. The natural progression of him becoming a father was wrought with angst when he and Donna become aware she is carrying a Downs Syndrome child. Ray had all the hallmarks of being a great dad as evident in scenes with John Ross and Charlie either in the Southfork swimming pool or when Bobby and Ray would take the kids horse-riding. There was also his father figure type role to Mickey. Everything here felt natural, possibly because Dallas was still enjoyable.

When Ray becomes entangled with Jenna everything was off. I felt unclean just watching Ray and Jenna together. Zero chemistry. I always imagined Bobby would be at his bedroom window peering through the blinds with binoculars leering at the Krebbs household.

I felt like Ray chastising Charlie thing was forced. It was as if the script had been created for shooting that week when it was realized Ray and Jenna had nothing to do this episode. "I know. Let's just create some teenage angst for Ray and Jenna."

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +508
    I thought Ray had a personality transplant in Seasons 10 and 11 DVD. In the past, Ray was always insecure about Donna being successful at something if he wasn't successful at something himself, but he went way beyond just this after the dream, getting on big moral highgrounds about everything to everyone instead of being a hard working ranch foreman with a friendly demeanour to most people.

Ray and Jenna were like oil and water as a couple. They didn't click at all on screen.

Amos Krebbs left the household in Emporia, Kansas, when Ray was 3 years old, leaving Margaret and her sister Lil to bring up Ray until he was 15, and Ray was regularly in trouble with the law as a young kid, as he mentions in the episode with Garnett McGee. Ray didn't see Amos again until over 30 years later when Amos showed up at Southfork, and Ray didn't even recognize him at first. Amos then told Jock that Ray was Jock's son.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    I refer to it as the "icky factor." The very thought of me becoming attracted to my brother's former girlfriend is just yuck. It's possible why most viewers took issue with Ray and Jenna hooking up. Might have been best for Jenna and Charlie to just pack and leave.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Jenna being Bobby's ex wasn't the issue for me. Ray and Jenna just didn't click on screen. On screen, Priscilla had very good chemistry with Patrick Duffy, okay chemistry with Dack Rambo until Jenna turned cold, and none at all with Steve Kanaly.

By the way, your morals sound like Bobby's in regards to women that J.R. has bedded. All in the head.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    In $ynthia $idre´s world, Brad Pitt´s character would turn out to be Charlie´s uncle, and would sell her to the (Mexican) girl traffickers (not that I´d be against that! And good riddance you brat!*)

I finally found what we would call this couple today: The Brats (Brad and that Wade "brat"). It sounds like a spinoff to "The Conners", doesn´t it? (insert laugh track here)

upload_2018-10-6_17-39-28.png

upload_2018-10-6_17-42-0.jpeg
    "And we don´t even know what a tweet is.
    Actually we have better things to do..."​

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    I just crack´d up when I remembered this character from "The Simpsons". Her name is...

upload_2018-10-6_17-56-23.png

Brandine!! (It´s a fact)
    Could she be the Brats´ offspring?​

17. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    Ray could have been an awesome dad, yet for some reason the writers no longer knew what to do with him, especially after the dream season where everyone besides JR and Bobby was shunted to the sidelines.

Ray and Jenna simply had no chemistry, the issue with Ray-Charlie is that Charlie already regarded Bobby as her surrogate dad, long after he and Jenna broke up it was him Charlie would turn to, Ray was someone who simply replaced him at a time when she was already fifteen years old, Jenna and Charlie should have just left Dallas in season 10 DVD.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    Is it morals or boundaries? I think there are some lines I don't cross. JR appeared to have this fascination with Bobby's partners. Despite showing hatred for that "Barnes woman" in those early years he had no hesitation in perusing Pam's fine body...and who could blame him.

19. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    I'm curious. In these screen captures whose house are they in? I don't recall Ray's home having a staircase.

20. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,793
    They are in Ray's new ranch house. The one he bought in season 10 (DVD) for him and Donna to live in. But Donna wouldn't take the key and move in when it was offered to her.

• Like Like x 1