Dallas Character Ray As A Father

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +508
    I've seen you say that your Dallas DVD collection stops at Bobby's death. Well, Ray and Donna's house of many years (the one that you're familiar with) was flooded during Season 9 DVD (the dream season) some time after Donna miscarried her baby and they moved into the main Southfork house for a while, and Ray was building a new house for himself, Donna and the deaf boy that they later adopted called Tony. After the dream in Season 10 DVD, with the previous season's storylines annulled, Ray took a now still pregnant Donna to a new house and asked her to take the key and move in. She wouldn't do it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +508
    I totally agree about Ray being a hypocrite in regards to this. If I had been in his place, I'd have mentioned contraception to Charlie to avoid unwanted pregnancies and STDs (especially deadly HIV/AIDS at the time) but otherwise let her get on with it. In regards to Charlie and Randy, my philosophy is that even if Charlie is making a mistake, making mistakes is a part of life and what we have to learn from. If I give advice to someone and they don't want to take it, my outlook is baslcally "Okay. Carry on, learn the mistake for yourself, or prove me wrong".

And as you say, Ray himself, about 10 years earlier, was having rolls in the hay with a 16-year-old Lucy. I also wonder what Ray's reaction to Charlie would have been had Charlie been a teenage boy with a girlfriend. Not the same, I bet, especially the boarding school bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Taylor The Red-Nosed Guzzler Jr.

Taylor The Red-Nosed Guzzler Jr. Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +654
    It's always sad when stepparents fail to acknowledge the achievements of their stepchildren. Everyone else's daughter or stepdaughter had posters of Brad Pitt on the wall and Charlie takes initiative to the point where she's actually making out with the guy in a barn, and Ray has the temerity to *scold* her for it!? Reprehensible!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Ray played a very important role early on in the series, and as a Texan I remember it well, even during the original run:

You could watch Dallas and enjoy the characters, but it would not be realistic to say, "I could out tomorrow and be J.R. Ewing". You couldn't say, "I could go out tomorrow and be Sue Ellen, or Pam, or Jock."

But you COULD watch Ray and realistically say, "I could go out tomorrow and be Ray. I could be a ranch foreman at Southfork, going to cattle auctions with Jock and driving Miss Ellie into town when her car was being repaired."

It was nice to have that character we could easily relate to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. retrosonic

retrosonic Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +20
    All great points in this thread. For me, Ray was one of my favorite characters, especially in the very early episodes. But I think the writers simply didnt know WHAT to do with Rays character. I always felt that they should have made Ray the half brother from the very start of the show. Ray was such a likeable character, the ranch hand that doesnt expect all that much out of life, except maybe a cold beer on a Saturday night in town.
    Ray means well, thats for sure, and tries to have a high moral ground, which is why he gets disgusted at times with the Ewings. I was impressed by Ray going out of his way for Mickey Trotter, knowing that if he didnt, Trotter was going to end up in jail. And I always enjoyed the scenes of Ray with Jock. You got the sense that Jock knew all along that Ray was his boy.