Re-watching Season 8

Discussion in 'Dallas Season Reviews' started by James from London, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    James ... you do have a way with words:
    • "Rehab will prove about as dramatic for Sue Ellen as giving cousin Jamie a makeover." :lolo:
    • "Hold onto your cowboy hats, it's Clayton and Ellie's first bed scene." :giggle:

In your review regarding a scene between Donna and Jenna, you once again prove that you're the master of words (Note: I've highlighted your words):
    • "Look, it's Donna and Jenna out on one of their oh so characteristic all-gals-together retail therapy binges."
    • "... Susan Howard, sounding more SEX AND THE CITY than Donna Culver Krebbs ..."
    • "The Jenna-bot stares blankly into space, apparently in need of an oil change." "You're thinkin' about Bobby, aren't you?" hazards Donna. "Well if she is, it's about bleedin' time."
    • "Look, you're not still thinking about leavin' Southfork, are ya?" Donna asks, "as though to move out of her dead fiancee's family home isn't be the sanest, healthiest thing Jenna could do."
    • "Donna and Jenna have had about three scenes [to become best friends]. Plus, they have nothing in common, save for a functioning uterus."
    • "I like Jack," says Donna. "Of course she does. It's Season 8. Everybody likes everybody."
    You're just so funny, you know that? I always laugh a lot when I read your reviews! :giggle:
    And again, I love it when you add some Dallas statistics! ;)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    James from London: Is there a reason why you've stopped posting your amazing and often quite humorous reviews of episodes on this thread? :think: Are you writing them as we go along? :confuse: How long "downtime" could we be talking about? ;)

Hope to hear more from your neck of the woods real soon! Also, I hope that you know that ... ...

:best:

• Like Like x 2
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    Thanks very much, Ms S! I originally wrote these posts years ago and this is as far as I got. I have written about the rest of this season on the "DALLAS versus KNOTS LANDING" thread but that's in conjunction with the other 80s soaps which you may or may not be so interested in.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    These and JROG's episode reviews are as funny as heck! I can only imagine just how much funnier they would get if you both got to the later seasons!

James, I thought it was quite insightful when you mentioned that men don't really talk to each other about their feelings during the "macho" fence repairing scene. Because it was during that same scene when my mom and I were watching this season after renting it that she turned to me and said: "You do know that this isn't realistic, right? Men don't really talk to each other like this in real life!" LOL!

• Like Like x 5
  5. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    Oh, bummer, @James from London! :( However, I guess that I really can't blame you for "stopping" (or losing interests in writing) your reviews of Dallas in the middle of season 8! My own interest in Dallas went downhill after "Swan Song", and I don't own any DVDs of the dream season (or later seasons for that matter). :(

I've only seen bits and pieces of Knots Landing over the years, and I never quite caught on to that show in the same way I did Dallas. However, I might check out those reviews one of these days! ;)

Back in the day, did you write reviews of the five pilot episodes and the seasons: 1, 2, and 3? If so, do you still have access to those reviews? And would you be willing to post them for us to enjoy? ;) I've only been able to find reviews of season 4-8 on this Board! :confuse:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    Well, the dream season is far from my favourite period of Dallas, but I enjoyed a lot more of it than I had previously when I re-watched it recently. And I'm currently watching the following season which I totally love.

I can't remember exactly why I stopped the "re-watching" threads. I was doing a lot of them at the same time and I think I just probably got a bit burned out. I also got busy with other things and kind of lost the momentum. I actually had a break from Dallas and the rest of the 80s soaps for a few years. It was New Dallas that reignited my appetite for them.

I wrote a bit about the second half of Season 3, but I guess that's lost now. The "Dallas versus Knots" thread starts mid-way through Season 2 of Dallas which is when Knots began.

I've been thinking that when I've finished my current Dallas/Knots/Dynasty/Falcon Crest re-watch, which won't be for some time, of maybe going back and comparing the first forty or so pre-Knots episodes of Dallas to the forty episode run of New Dallas, which I really, really loved.

Thanks a lot for your interest!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    You're very welcome, @James from London! :wink@

Like I said, I've really enjoyed reading all your reviews! :gotcha: I'll probably go back and read the reviews of the older seasons again! Especially now that I know that there won't be any more "new" reviews to read! Thanks so much for all the hours of entertainment you've given me! I've truly enjoyed reading your point of views! :wave:

:best:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,909
    Sorry for interrupting, but I just wanted to say that, for some reason, this had escaped my attention when I watched the series.
    I haven't read the rest of this season review, but based on this part I conclude that JR - the least favourite son - never had anything to lose, only to gain, which could (partially) explain his ruthless behaviour.

I'm sure everyone here already knew that, but I had never considered this particular angle before.

• Like Like x 2
  9. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    Well, the thing he had to lose was the presidency of Ewing Oil, at least while Jock was alive. So even though he was ruthless, he had to keep it in check in front of his parents which made for an interesting tension. And that ruthless behaviour was ultimately motivated by a need for Jock's approval. "Everything he does he does for his daddy" as Sue Ellen once said.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,909
    What I meant was that a person can't lose a lot of love when that person isn't very loved (or the most loved) to begin with, there's not a Big Risk factor.
    Jock's approval was definitely a goal - and an illusion, because Bobby would always be Jock's favourite.
    So I could say that it wasn't a passion, but a grim determination that leaves little room for consideration.

11. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Oh, yer so misunderstood and all Willie. Ma heart bleeds for yer. :bh:

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,909
    No. I'm the only one who really gets it. Thanks for the hug anyway:)

13. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    Yeah, but I'm not sure JR fully realised that Bobby was Jock's favourite. He certainly doesn't acknowledge it verbally until the 300th episode when he and Bobby are trapped in the elevator together. So if JR equated love with power and he was head of the company when the show began, then there was still something to play for.

That's probably true.

14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,909
    You're right. We have to go by what's actually being presented to us, rather than to unravel a mystery that may or may not be there*.

*Nevertheless, he never tried to please his parents (or anyone else) by behaving like a nice and decent person. And it would be futile to compete with his brothers in that way.
    Being the best son (and father) was being the best CEO of the biggest and best independent oil company. That's the game he could win.
    Of course, the biggest trick is not how to get it, but how to keep it.

• Like Like x 1