Dallas Character Rebecca Wentworth Was A Horrible Parent

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, May 22, 2017.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    She abandoned her kids when Cliff was 5 and Pam was maybe 2, leaving them in the care of an alcoholic father. Then she re-enters their lives 40 years later only after Pam had to use a P.I. to track her down. Then the first time Cliff let her down she basically disowned him. But when he attempts suicide as a result, she rewards awful behavior by buying him a 250 million dollar company. It sends the message: Try suicide and you'll get rewarded with millions of dollars. A good parent never rewards bad behavior.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Plus look how Katherine turned out

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    Yes, of course.

Although I suspect the some would find it quite acceptable if somebody gave JR a billion dollar company to reward his series-ending suicide attempt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,985
    Medals:
    And don't forget, when Pam first told Rebeca she was her daughter, Rebecca effectively disowned her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Other horrible parents might. It's hard to state this strongly enough: A good parent does not reward bad behavior. That's an incentive for the son or daughter to continue the same behavior! There's nothing more disgraceful than parents who fail their children. I see men and women who have and continue to and I don't know how they do it!

Rebecca failed her children over and over again. She was in absolute constant denial over her role in Cliff's suicide attempt. She blamed JR to try to take the heat off herself. If you look at the timeline of events though, you see that while Cliff was very upset, naturally, that he drilled a dry hole based on information JR had altered, he was not suicidal. When Cliff was asked to resign by Rebecca, he seemed as if he expected it. After Cliff agreed to resign and had made restitution to Rebecca's company he still had hope. He asked her if he would still at least be able to see her, not as an employee, but as her son, and added "It took us too long to reconnect" she wouldn't even give him that. She just gave him a dirty look, turned around and walked away. That broke him. Losing his mother for the second time in his life was more than he could handle.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +746
    After lying to her face about her not being her mother!!! What a cow!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Compared to Miss Ellie (even if her relationship with JR wasn't perfect or as warm as her relationship with her two other sons), everyone was a bad mother on the show... She even was a great mother-in-law!:byee:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    But you wouldn't condone them giving JR whatever he wanted??

9. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    For an attempted suicide? Absolutely not. I also would have lost respect for the person who rewarded the suicide attempt. It's no secret I found JR the most entertaining character of the show, which for some reason has created some controversy. Sometimes he honestly does good things (I think the way he's such a good father to John Ross is his most remarkable achievement) Usually he does things that are at the least, underhanded and sneaky. Sometimes he does things that are downright cruel or despicable.

That's a wide range of behavior but the one constant is that he's so interesting to watch and he can portray deep sorrow, such as when he, Bobby and Ray returned from the search for Jock in South America without Jock, knowing if he couldn't be found and with the bottom of that lake being like quicksand, he must have been dead. He can portray deep concern for loved ones such as the ending moments of season two where after sitting right by Sue Ellen's hospital bed with Bobby and explaining how special and beloved she is to him, JR starts to cry. There was the deep concern for both Sue Ellen and John Ross when he raced up the burning stairs in the attempt to save his wife and son from the inferno and he becomes the victim of a falling beam from the ceiling which knocks him out cold, leaving him sleeping in the fire! He can be despicable such as when he either raped Holly Harwood or almost did, prompting her to buy a gun for future protection. Another despicable action was taking Lucy from Valene by hiring some good old boys to follow her all the way to Virginia and then tell her what would happen if she ever set foot in Texas again. Fortunately JR didn't make good on the threats when Valene did step back in Texas but he did play the major role in depriving Valene of being able to raise her own daughter and deprived Lucy of being able to grow up being raised by her mother who loved her deeply.

I hope people understand that my belief that JR is the most entertaining character on the show, and the fact I find many of his storylines fascinating with highly impressive acting by Larry Hagman (How he never received an EmmY Award or his acting in Dallas is a mystery to me!) doesn't mean that I would want my children to look up to J.R. Ewing as a role model or that I pattern the way I treat people after the J.R.Ewing character! As I explained above, I do think that he's an excellent father to John Ross and he has shown impressive bravery such as in the Southfork inferno or in meeting Calhoun in that deserted park to rescue John Ross. If my children looked up to the way he responded to danger in those specific instances I certainly wouldn't object! But if they idolized his pattern of behavior that women are fun to chase but once he's achieved his goal of bedding them it's time to set his sights on a new pursuit I would need to have a long and very serious talk with them!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    Well..... okay.

11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    Perhaps the back story could have been fleshed out more with Rebecca. I do find it odd Rebecca would leave two defenseless children in the care of a drunken father. But with regards to rewarding bad behavior? I see this all the time. Don't get me started on those helicopter parents desperately trying to calm their precious angels screaming at the top of their lungs, "I want it!" From the parents mouths comes the 1, 2.... Seriously? The problem I see today is parents believe shopping centers are the new playgrounds. Ever tried taking your kid to a park and kick a soccer ball around? It has numerous benefits for both child and parent.

Oh, and without Rebecca we would never have been introduced to that deliciously wicked Katherine. There was someone with behavioral problems.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    Rebecca Wentworth was awful. First she leaves Pam and Cliff, then she denies that Pam is her daughter. It is only after her husband dies, and then she is like: "Ok, I want you guys back in my life!" She sells her house in Houston without even asking Katherine if she wanted it, while Pam gets Rebecca's other house, and Cliff also gets nothing. She played favorites with Pam and mainly Cliff, and pretty much ignored Katherine. She gave Cliff way too much power with Wentworth Tool and Dye, even after Pam warned her what could happen, and she acts like Katherine's opinion means nothing. Then, when Rebecca realizes she screwed up after Cliff embezzles money, she shuts him out even after he says that he doesn't expect the business stuff anymore and just wants a mother son relationship. Rebecca refused to realize that she had any part in Cliff's motivation to attempt suicide, instead, she just blames everything on the Ewings, even though last I checked, it was just JR who pulled that scheme, not the rest of the family. When she is on her deathbed, she does not even remember Katherine until Pam mentions her, and then she just asks Pam to take care of Cliff, not Katherine. Rebecca ripped Katherine off in her will, which probably just sent Katherine over the edge even more. Rebecca was a horrible mother.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    Don't hold back :lolo:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,498
    What do you mean? She managed to raise fabulously watchable psychopath Katherine perfectly well thank you ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +193

Actually she persued Cliff and Pamela after her wealthy husband dies knowing he would cut her out of his will. The rest I agree with.

16. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    I never do! Lol.

17. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    If that was the case, that she needed to wait for her husband to die first, suppose he'd ben healthier and outlived her. It sounds like that her desire to inherit money from her husband meant more to her than finding her then adult children. If he'd lived long enough she never would have reunited with Cliff and Pam because to Rebecca, normal maternal instincts which are very strong in the vast majority of mothers were so weak in Rebecca that along with her cold heart and the ice-water that flowed through her veins, the love of spending time getting reacquainted with her children and what should have been the joy of simply spending time in their company were things that took a backseat to how many unearned dollars could she acquire. She was no spring chicken and you can't take it with you so I don't know what she thought she needed all that money for, but that's the kind of awful mother Rebecca was.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,989
    Medals:
    Look at Pamela Rebecca. HORRID.

19. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Yes, she was to all three kids especially Cliff and Pam!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +458
    Not sure I would agree with this statement. (I can't see the smilie, so if it's a sarcastic comment, my apologies I would most definitely agree!:p)

• Disagree Disagree x 1