1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Recast Pam with Margaret Michaels or April for Bobby?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by TJames03, Oct 5, 2018.

?

Recast Pam with Margaret Michaels or April for Bobby?

1. MM's Pam

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. April

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,690
    Or was he? :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I wouldn't have minded Margaret Michaels playing Pam regularly from Season 11 DVD onwards, say after taking off the bandages. It would have worked to some extent, because she has a strong resemblance to Victoria Principal, and it would have maintained the big positive of keeping the dynamics properly intact in the Dallas storylines. I'm watching the late seasons now (currently on Season 13 DVD, with the Jeanne O'Brien episodes), and while there are some feel good character moments by this stage in Dallas history, the wider narrative of the show by this point is a mess. Southfork feels very bare at this stage of Dallas history, and it will get even worse when Lucy, Miss Ellie and Clayton go. Miss Ellie and Clayton are rarely at Southfork anymore, anyway.

Donna Reed replacing Barbara Bel Geddes was different to the Michaels/Principal situation, because Reed played Miss Ellie very differently.

Yes. How do they explain Wes Parmalee having the same injuries on his body as Jock Ewing? Wyatt Haines wouldn't have the same injuries as Jock, would he? The Wes Parmalee storyline may have pulled a few emotional strings, but it was a bit of a mess when looked at properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +577
    identical x-rays are one thing, but would Jock in a trillion years enunciate the first 's' in 'business' like Wes did at the Oil Barons' Ball? He was Wyatt Haynes!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  4. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +559
    It wasn't that cut and dried. Wes didn't look like either Jock or Wyatt because of his extensive injuries and resulting surgeries. Yet the family eagerly chose to believe he was Wyatt because it was less complicated than having him possibly be Jock. They had mourned and moved on, and Wes was simply too different for them to accept. Miss Ellie said Wes told her he wasn't Jock, but he also told her he would see her again someday. That would have been strange to say if he wasn't Jock. He also had the same injuries Jock had. I choose to believe he was Jock and left because the family was obviously never going to accept him. The ambiguity of Wes Parmalee's true identity allows the audience to decide who he really was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    I could accept MM as Pam since there would be a valid reason as to why she looked a bit different, Pam had just survived being blown up in a massive car crash after all, she's bound to look a bit different!
    MM played her so well at the season 12 (DVD) premier and since Pam was such a major part of DALLAS to begin with I think other viewers in time would accept MM, it would have been a lot better than what we would end up with in the later years of the show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. retrosonic

retrosonic Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Ahhhh......I cant agree. I've never been one for recasting, I just dont think it works. People fall in love with certain characters, and by extension, the actors that play those characters. When they are recast, I think it greatly diminishes the association we have with the characters. Donna Reed, who was a fine actress, should never have been cast as Miss Ellie. It cheapens the character. And on Dynasty, they seemed to recast half the cast!! It just doesnt work for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,800
    I've never liked them and that goes for any series. Just the other day I was visiting my elderly aunt for afternoon tea. I had not seen her for ages but she was always a fan of The Bold & The Beautiful. As that afternoon episode was being played I hardly recognised anyone and asked, "Who are these people?" She then explained that's the new Ridge, Thorne and some other character I cannot recall. I thought for a moment I'd stumbled into some alternative universe soap. Interestingly even my aunt said she no longer watches the series religiously because of the change in actors.

And that's where I agree with most about recasts. It upsets the rhythm of viewing a much loved series. It's why to this day I never liked the recast of Miss Ellie and why watching that particular season frustrates me because when Bobby died in "Swan Song" I keep thinking how powerful this episode could have been with Barbara Bel Geddes there.

8. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    That sums it up very nicely, Rove.