Remember that exciting feeling?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Willie Oleson, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    If more people were able to watch The Haves and the Have Nots (the nighttime soap from Tyler Perry's studios), they would see those old-fashioned cliffhangers where they throw in everything but the kitchen sink (and sometimes even tosses that in just because it can). I would not suggest nuDynasty get quite as extreme as HAHN gets with its plot twists, but they've definitely been keeping the home fires burning (pun intended) as far as over-the-top soapy goodness is concerned. There is even the added joy of their format, which features two "halves" to each season, allowing two audacious cliffhanger episodes per year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I’d like a finale similar to season 9. Everything in that final episode pulled from stories and relationships that had built all season. The Fallon/Krystina cliffhanger kept the episode moving, then you had Alexis and Dex at the end which had been boiling over with Sable all season. Then to top it off you have the drama with Blake. I’d like something like that where everybody gets their own chance to shine in the finale and it gives you something meaty to start from for the next season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I recall Ugly Betty's first season ending on several cliffhangers involving all the characters in events that were being built up over the season.. and you wondered how the next season would resolve them... and some of the resolutions had long term effects that played out through the season (season 2 got affected by the writers strike.. so I always wondered what could have been if the writer strike didn't occur cutting their episode order by 4 or 5 episodes).

• Like Like x 1
  4. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Melrose Place had a strong season 3/4/5 finale. Season 2 was strong but the last scene should not have been Jane getting arrested.

5. Dw725

Dw725 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Oh god. Please don't. As much as I love the show it is AWFUL. It's so cringeworthy. Well not as bad as Tyler's other offering(If Loving You Is Wrong). THAHNs has actually gotten better this past season. Don't place it in the realm of Dynasty for sure. And nuDynasty doesn't even deserve that.

At least nuDynasty has "good" writing compared to Tyler's shows. Those shows play out like daytime soaps. The dialogue is awful. The storylines may be good but they take the whole season if not multiple seasons to play out. NuDynasty does not need to take any tips from these shows.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  6. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Honestly I would rather watch the Haves and the Havenots and If Loving You Is Wrong (and nuDynasty) than all of the remaining daytime soaps that are still around nowadays. I mean, they are just so godawful with the beyond dumb plots and caricatures for characters. Ugh, so bad!

7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    I only mentioned HAHN in relation to their maintaining the tradition of high-stakes (or seemingly high-stakes at that point) cliffhangers like nighttime soaps in the 1980s. The glacial pace of its storylines (even as so much seems to occur from episode to episode) can be irritating, but they sure have done some excellent cliffhangers.

8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,472
    I've watched some clips on YouTube...I don't know. It looks very aggressive, does that work for a soap? Are there moments when they're not angry and shouting?

9. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +202
    HAHN reminds me of Passions.. where scenes rang too long and the actors kept repeating the same lines over and over to stretch the scene out. However, people watch this show because it is Tyler Perry writing it.. not because it has any sort of depth or artistic merit... just like people watch movies on the Hallmark Channel.. because it has a formula it never strays from. All air, little subtance inside.

With that said, HAHN does know how to write a good season ending cliffhanger.. but to get to that point is painful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dw725

Dw725 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think HAHN has gotten much stronger this season. His other she on OWN If Loving You Is Wrong is dreadful. They repeat themselves so much in a simple conversation.

HAHN was at that point but it has gotten a whole lot better. I stopped watching both bc of it. But I did tune in to both this season and saw HAHN has changed compared to his other show.

I'll be honest. I prolly would've tuned out long ago if it wasn't for the man candy on both shows. But HAHN has Candace, Veronica, Hannah and Cathryn Crier which I find are amazing characters and actresses. They play this show as well as they can.

11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    Oh gosh, Passions... I have such a love/hate relationship with that show... I first saw it when my older sister was watching it (this was a *looooong* time ago :lol:). I remember it was the episode where Charity fell through the ice, and I remember feeling so irritated how her boyfriend kept going, "Charity! Charity!" and making half-hearted attempts to shake off the men holding him off (not because the character wanted Charity to drown, but because he was a lame actor).

I didn't watch it again for a long while until I was home during the early afternoon and looking for something, *something* to watch on TV. I didn't think too much of it at first but there was nothing else on. Then I got hooked... then I got frustrated with how stupid, vapid and shallow all the characters were. Plus the pacing was just weird: if I followed it day-to-day, the scenes would go nowhere... but if I stopped watching for a while and came back, the characters would be in wildly different situations.

And yes, I hated how the characters kept on repeating the same thing over and over. And I hated how everyone would just *stare*... though I've seen that happen with a lot of daytime soaps.

12. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +101
    There was a point where I tried watching The Haves And The Havenots about a year or two ago and I just couldn't get into it for some reason. Then a couple of months ago I tried again and this time it clicked for me. But for some reason it's kind of hard to follow because the storylines are so convoluted. I feel like If Loving You Is Wrong is a bit easier to follow. But oh my God is Randal super annoying!

I've seen some pretty annoying T.V. characters in my lifetime but I don't think I've ever encountered anyone like Randal before. He's so smug, so cocky, so arrogant and he acts like he's so much better than everyone just because he's a doctor and he feels like he's somehow entitled to having Marcie & Alex in his life. Honestly I don't understand what the hell Alex ever saw in him. The guy's super unhinged. I mean, he pretty ruined her marriage to Brad and he also caused Marcie to lose her latest baby.

At least Veronica is pretty entertaining even though she can also be pretty despicable because of her refusal to accept her son Jeffrey's sexuality and her contempt towards him because of it. And I prefer Tyler Perry's dramas to his comedies because the people in the latter are so buffoonish, moronic and over the top and it just turns me off.