Remington Steele vs Moonlighting

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by NickLundy0911, Aug 29, 2017.

1. NickLundy0911

NickLundy0911 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +59
    As much as I enjoyed BONES and CASTLE, I always gravitated more to Moonlighting and Remington Steele. I always loved how stylish and fun they were. But much like CASTLE and BONES I'm always torn between which I preferred. As a lover of The Golden age of Hollywood films I can easily compare the two with the works of Howard Hawkes (which Moonlighting excelled at) and George Cukor. And of course, there is the sexual tension imho, Moonlighting had the best chemistry but RS had the best relationship. Which do you prefer?

Attached Files:

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    And both shows had leads who hated each other.

I liked MOONLIGHTING, until Cybill got ABC to fire the creator/EP which is why the last season is so lame.

I never saw much of REMINGTON STEELE, but it seemed a more traditional kind of show. The leading lady of STEELE at one point admitted, when they were on the downward slide, that they should be doing the kind of work that MOONLIGHTING was doing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NickLundy0911

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I agree with you on Moonlighting. I only own the first the seasons. I love it because it fought to be not like conventional television. Not many shows take risks and enjoy the hell out of it. I do enjoy Remington Steele cause of its more laid back and procedural like. And I do find Laura Holt very smart and attractive she can be uptight but given her position and how hard she fought for it I really admire her. Can you name one female character that started her own private investigation firm.

4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,117
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I agree with you about the "sources" of both shows, they were enjoyable and featured two memorable acting duets. I have only watched the first season of "Remington Steele" and part of the second (though I will probably continue soon), but it seemed to be more low-budgeted and subtly acted than "Moonlighting". Even so, I was a die-hard fan of the latter, and Cybill and Bruce gave me a lot of fun hours in the 80´s.

As is well-known, the behind-the-scenes of "Moon" were more suspenful than the show itself, which anyway gave from 30 to 40 perfect episodes between seasons 1 through 4. "A View to a Womb" was the big "jump-the-shark" moment, though Cybill´s pregnancy might actually have been considered that at the time. The two last seasons lacked romance, originality and creativity except some good moments here and there (Dave & Maddie in claymotion? That deserved to be a spinoff), and, well, had too many unglamorous guest stars, never-ending subplots and self-references.

It was a good ride at the end, though. And they invented two things: The will they/won´t do they? reference, and the meta-reference:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NickLundy0911

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +59
    From what I read, Moonlighting's budget was astronomical at the time. RS was like Hart to Hart with the extended location episodes which I liked but I would've love if they did more elaborate episodes that Moonlighting did but that might be too on the nose. As much as the chemistry between Shepard and Willis gave the show its spark, the best episodes are more fun, charming and works surprising well today.

6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,117
    Medals:
    So would you encourage me to keep on watching Nick? I forgot to mention that I fell in love with Doris Roberts' Mildred too...Though Pierce looked stunningly handsome then, he sometimes seemed to be a bit absent-minded (maybe thinking about how to lobby for James Bond already?).

upload_2017-8-29_22-52-6.jpeg

From Da Pig´s archives:
    "He loved me yeah yeah yeah"
    (as she wrote in the back of the pic!)​

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NickLundy0911

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Watching RS the first time might take a while to engage it. The pilot to ML is the same way. I preferred RS with Murphy and Bernice even if Remington and Laura were the center, they could've pushed a side romance. But Murphy was too hung up on Laura so.... But still I liked the office dynamic but Doris Robert's character could be a mother type like how Susan Sullivan was on CASTLE.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,900
    Medals:
    I've never seen Remington Steele, I've watched a little of Moonlighting but didn't enjoy Bruce Willis in the role, maybe I should watch some episodes again.

But I never missed an episode of Dempsey & Makepeace.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    Medals:
    I never got into the hype of Moonlighting. I preferred the sophistication of Remington Steele. For what it's worth, Glen Gordon Caron, who created Moonlighting, had been a writer on Remington Steele.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,117
    Medals:
    About the stars, one of the reasons of Bruce Willis´ career´s current deadend, probably is, as one critic said at the time, because he was "so good at playing Addison, that it would be almost impossible to surpasse that performance". I agree with that. He was just fantastic. Not even his John McClane from the "Die Hard" saga could match his "Moon" role. Not to mention that he was tremendously sexy for an average-looking guy and broke the "curse" about TV actors not being able to have a movie career.

upload_2017-8-31_11-49-54.jpeg
    Cybill´s Maddie also was a lifetime role, but she is so clever that managed to choose her subsequent parts keeping in mind she didn´t want to repeat her Maddie. She is a limited actress, and possible not even considered beautiful in a conventional sense, and much less at a time when all young actresses are all bones. But I did love her odd, old-fashioned style and off-screen persona, and have had a blast with every post-"Moon" role she´s made. No doubt, though, that her pregnancy of twins absolutely murdered the show at mid-term. With the help of the last year´s showrunner, of course (was the Cider woman already ruining shows by then?).

upload_2017-8-31_11-50-36.jpeg

Pierce Brosnan´s Remington is a work of self-restraint, though in a period where most TV stars were hammy (or mannequin-like) as hell in the supersoaps, this work is so much more valuable. But I didn´t really think of him as a hot, sexy actor until he got the James Bond role. I haven´t seen him yet in anything that made me say, "God, what was the producer thinking casting him?" (probably exception with his "Mamma Mia" non-acting role...).

upload_2017-8-31_11-51-1.jpeg

And well, Stephanie Zimbalist was a pure gem, maybe the best of the whole pack. She was sweet but remarkably strong (a la early Pam from "Dallas"), she almost literally danced with her dialogues and screwball situations, was one of the classiest (and most classic too) ladies of the 80´s TV, and she nailed her role wonderfully. I am quite amazed she didn´t have a second career aside from her stage roles, which she seems to prefer.

upload_2017-8-31_11-52-8.jpeg

And last but not least, the supporting cast. I already talked about hilarious Doris Roberts (I´va adored her since she played the priest´s psycopath mother on "Soap") but James Read was not only a great actor, as he proved in "North & South", but also an incredibly handsome guy.

upload_2017-8-31_11-52-54.jpeg

Allyce Beasly as Miss Dipesto (believe it or not, in Spain she was renamed "Topisto" because "peste" means, well, "stink") was the icon for every surrealistic character created after her. She was lovely and had a great comedic timing, and also a wonderful chemistry with both co-stars. If I were into destructive critic (but I´m not), I´d say a few things about Curtis Armstrong´s pathetic character. But actually I think it was the producer's fault for giving him so much on-screen time when Cybill got pregnant.

upload_2017-8-31_11-53-17.jpeg [​IMG] upload_2017-8-31_11-53-34.jpeg
    PS: I tried to pick up the best recent photos of them. Really.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    Funny. I could never stand to watch Willis in anything else. Too flesh-crawly.

I don't just know how Demi did him.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. NickLundy0911

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It would've been interesting if they switched partners (detective wise) I always pictured Laura and David as a proto- Castle and Beckett. After all, In Moonlighting season 3 episode "The Straight Poop" Remington Steele admitted that he and Maddie almost went into business together. I also agree that Addison is my favorite Bruce Willis role. He's funny, playful, charming and at times very much like Humphrey Bogart (they do have similar features) and he's a really good actor. If I'm not mistaken he won a comedy and dramatic actor Emmys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    The first four are just fine. It's only the fifth that doesn't work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1