Return to Knots Landing

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Toni, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Hi everybody:

Tonight I will post on this thread the first entries for Episode 1 of my "Ewing Empire" spin-off (and also "Knots Landing" sequel) "Return to Knots Landing".

The plot will be parallel to the one running right now on "EE" though not necessarily you will have to read both to understand what happens at all. It begins in 2008, and everything from the original series and the Miniseries is respected, except for the fact that here, Bobby did not die. Val just named his baby after him because she hoped his child would be as nice and good-looking as her brother-in-law.

I will post a couple of videos for RTKL soon, and also tonight, the character guide to remember a bit where everybody is in this continuation. The characters who are transferred to the spin-off are Gary and Val (again), Lucy, her husband Curtis and their son Peter. I´ll try to recapture the community spirit and the contrast of the relationships like KL did in its beginning, as well as also the glamour and ambitious megastorylines affecting all the characters, and some of the humor and self-conscience of the latter years.

I truly hope you like this one too, and I want to thank, again, to the Soapchat friends who are encouraging me to keep on writing, especially the two lovely ladies called @Karin Schill and @jessie. This is looking at you friends!!

[​IMG]

"Are you ready for ME, now (again)?"

upload_2016-10-31_17-24-18.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    "Return to Knots Landing"

Character Guide:

GARY EWING (TED SHACKELFORD):
    Born in Braddock, Texas, on December 1944. Middle son of deceased JOCK EWING and ELLIE SOUTHWORTH. Married to VALENE CLEMMENTS three times: in 1961, 1979 and 1992. They have 3 sons: LUCY, born in 1961, and twins BOBBY and BETSY in 1983. Also married to ABBY CUNNINGHAM from 1983 through 1987. Has two stepsons, OLIVIA and BRIAN. Worked at KNOTS LANDING MOTORS, and his own environment-friendly companies. Runs his company WESTFORK INDUSTRIES, now part of EWING OIL, from his California offices.

VALENE EWING (JOAN VAN ARK):
    Born in Husky Corners, a small town in Tennessee, in 1946. Only child of LILIMAE and late JEREMIAH CLEMMENTS. Besides GARY, was married to BEN GIBSON (presumably dead) from 1985 through 1987, then to DANNY WALESKA from 1989 until his death the next year. Mother to LUCY, BOBBY and BETSY. Moved back to California with GARY in 2006, after living for a decade with his family at Southfork. Worked as a waitress, wrote several best-sellers, and currently runs her own Charity Foundation for the Homeless, among other causes. Supervised the construction of houses for the recently created Knots Landing County.

LUCY EWING PHILLIPS (CHARLENE TILTON):
    Born in Braddock, Texas, in 1961. First-born of GARY and VALENE EWING. Was married to MITCH COOPER from 1980 through 1982, and from 1985 through 1987. As a single mother had a son called PETER in 1994. Married his father CURTIS in 2006. Worked as a model, a waitress, invested in construction, and ran an art gallery chain. Lived in Italy from 1989 through 1991. Back in Dallas, became a fund-raiser for the aids cause. In 2001 almost died at the WTC attack. After trying to run a small oil company, devoted herself to her family until they moved to California.

KAREN MACKENZIE (MICHELE LEE):
    Born in N.Y.C. in 1948, as Karen Cooper. Only sister of JOE. Widow of SID FAIRGATE and mother of his three children, DIANA, ERIC and MICHAEL. Remarried in 1983 to MACK MACKENZIE. The couple adopted their late friend LAURA´s daughter MEG in 1987. Ecology activist, worked at her husband´s company, at the Lotus Point Resort (closed in 1988), and as TV host. Became Mayor of Knots Landing County in 2004.

MACK MACKENZIE (KEVIN DOBSON):
    Born in N.Y.C. in 1943. Husband of KAREN, stepfather of her children, and adoptive father of MEG. Found out he had a daughter with ANNE MATHESON, PAIGE, in 1986. Former District Attorney Investigator, also ran his own firm with friend and neighbor FRANK WILLIAMS. Semi-retired, enjoys family life and is his wife´s legal adviser.

PAIGE MATHESON (NICOLLETTE SHERIDAN):
    Born in N.Y.C. in 1967, daughter of socialite ANNE WINSTON and her former boyfriend MACK, who accepted her rejection when she married another man. Educated in Switzerland, faked her death and travelled around the world, until learning who her real father was. Worked as a hostess, art dealer and top executive. Currently divorced from cop TOM RYAN, runs a media empire and has a son whose paternity is publicly unknown.

OLIVIA CUNNINGHAM (TONYA CROWE):
    Born in San Luis Obispo, California, in 1971. Only daughter to ABBY CUNNINGHAM and older sister to BRIAN. Married HAROLD DYER in 1990 and they moved to Florida the next year. Currently divorced. In 2003 visited her ex-stepfather GARY in Dallas and had a brief affair with JOHN ROSS. Being dumped by him lead her back to cocaine abuse, started in 1986.

CURTIS PHILLIPS (JESSE L. MARTIN):
    Born in Buffalo, N.Y., in 1966. LUCY´s current husband, and father to her son PETER. Military bureaucrat, a veteran of the Iraq war, met LUCY, still married to MITCH, in Atlanta in 1986 when the latter operated him from his wounds. In 2004 they coincided again by chance, during a vacation at the Caribbean, and had a short but intense affair. LUCY decided to have her baby when knew she was pregnant, though the father´s identity was kept secret until recently.

ABBY FAIRGATE (DONNA MILLS):
    Born in N.Y.C. in 1950. GARY EWING´s second wife from 1983 through 1986. Previously she had been married to JEFF CUNNINGHAM, with whom she had two children. After her second divorce, she married again twice, to her former college love CHARLES SCOTT (only as a revenge plot) and to her ex-lover, tycoon GREG SUMNER (as a business strategy). In 1990 left to JAPAN with BRIAN, leaving her daughter penniless. In 1993 returned to KL, and in 1997 moved to Malibu. In 2005 showed up in Dallas with a revenge plot on mind.

These are the main characters of my Knots Landing sequel for the first Episode, though there will be more well-known characters back in the near future. Also, the new generation characters will be re-cast if necessary, especially the youngest (Meg, Lucy´s son Peter) for obvious reasons.

upload_2016-11-1_23-35-59.jpeg

The story will start the day of the funeral of Lilimae Clemments, Valene´s mother. Lucy and her family arrive the day before to start decorating their new home next to Val´s, at the new Knots Landing County. What happened to the familiar cul-de-sac and the suburban area that was shown in the classic Opening? Stay tuned to know!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,127
    How interesting to see you take on Knots Landing as well Toni. :)

A question though, since this story goes into Ewing Empire and refers to stuff that has happened on there, maybe it would be better to read it after catching up on The Last Years of Southfork etc?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    Actually not, Karin. Of course, I´d love you to read all my fanfics, but I have summarized in this post everything you need to know about what happened on "Ewing Empire" (mainly, Lucy reuniting and marrying her son´s father; Olivia falling off the wagon after another heartbreak, and Abby scheming against John Ross to get even). I already conceived this new fanfic as a stand-alone project, so to say, and you can read it independently of whether you read EE or not.

Anyway, in the first episode I will use certain scenes to expose some of Gary and Val´s adventures in Texas. All you need to know, though, is up there. I´m especially interested in character development and capturing the essence of "Knots", maybe because it´s a lot more difficult than "Dallas" and the characters are deeper and easier to relate with. I honestly hope not to write "out-of-character" at all since I have the feeling the "Knots" fanfic fans are very very demanding and clever (not to be messed up with!!). :cool1

• Like Like x 2
  5. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    Episode 1: "Not in Seaview Circle Anymore"

TEASER:

SC 1: EXT. KNOTS LANDING BEACH

[​IMG]

(Establishing shot of the long beach where the characters used to hang out several decades earlier. Fade into a general shot of Lucy and her 12-year-old son Peter, a blonde child who walks with her down the promenade.)

Peter: Knots Landing?

Lucy: Yeah. That´s right... (She says joyfully to her son)

Peter: Did you live here? I mean, at Grandma´s house?

Lucy: No, actually not. I only visited her a few times...Look over there. Can you see the lighthouse? Behind that, there was a beautiful place full of little houses where she and Grandfather Gary lived for many years.

Peter: Is there no house there now?

Lucy: No, not anymore. As my mum told me, it became unsafe for people to live there.

Peter: Why? Could there be tsunamis?

Lucy: I think not, but I don´t know the details. You better ask Grandma about it. She helped the people who lived there to move in to safer places.

Peter: Like our area?

Lucy: Yes.

Peter: And why is our area also called Knots Landing?

Lucy: Well, it´s a county now. A bigger place, and it´s farther from L.A. too. Its name is a kind of a tribute to the people who lived there...

Peter (noticing her mother´s distant look): Are you sad, mum?

Lucy: Yes, I guess I am a little sad.

Peter: Because your Grandma Lilimae has died?

Lucy: Sure. But especially because I feel I wasted time of my life I could have spent here, getting to know her and also, being closer to my mum.

Peter (smiling ear to ear): I love my Grandma, mum.

Lucy (bending down up to face his son): I know honey. I also love her, I just wish I had devoted more time to my dad and mum when I was younger. That´s one of the reasons we´re moving in...

Peter: Did you ever meet your Grandma Lilimae?

Lucy: Yes, but only a couple of times, a few years ago. I didn´t know her well. But I did know my other Grandma, Ellie. She was the most special person I ever met. She would have been so happy to have you as her grand-grandson! Peter, don´t forget one thing: many different things keep changing in our life, but only family lasts. And we must take care of them. Time flies, as they say...and mine if first class (looking at the blue ocean in front of them). You know something? The first time I visited your mother, she and my dad made me run along the beach, holding each other´s hands...and splashing around in the water...

Peter: And wasn´t it cold?

Lucy: Well, as my dad said to me, "it´s just the first impression". After that, all was warmth and trust between us...Do you wanna try?

Peter (his eyes wide open): Try what? The water? Oh mum, look, that´s dad coming that way!! (He points at him and runs away from Lucy)

Lucy (smiling and muttering to herself): Oh, saved by the bell... (The camera pans away and shows Lucy joining her husband Curtis and her son, and hugging them tight).

To Be Continued

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,127
    Cute start of your story Toni. :)
    I love Lucy so it's always nice to see her being a part of the story and I always wished she would have kids so it's nice to see her with a son in your story. I'm a bit confused though, what's happened to the original Knots Landing?

Also which year is this story supposed to be set?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    Thanks for your message Karin! The year is 2008. It´s not random, and as you must know, my stories are completely independent from the TVM´s and TNT Dallas. In an upcoming scene of this first episode, I´ll reveal what happened to the original KL, it´s part of a major storyline since this very beginning and everything will be explained bit by bit, but not in the first episode. Though yes, I´ll explain why I changed the location of the houses and turned them into a bigger county, a few miles down the South Coast, and away from the original hills (which were not real, anyway).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,318
    I loved the first update, it is great seeing Lucy in your storyline, and she has a child. I'm glad she is close to her Parents now. I love how you give a brief description of the characters in your story, and what they have been up to. I can't wait to read more.❤️

• Like Like x 1