REVENGE

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by tommie, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    I think in 2015 ABC wanted to continue a spin-off with a new set of characters. I don't know if that is still the idea.

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    How interesting if they were to bring this back. I really do think if they do that it should be more an anthology. Still keeping the man cast but using various character's revenge plots every season or maybe two a season.
    I'm not sure who could be any more fabulous than Victoria though and they would have to pull off something really spectacular if they were to retcon the idea that everyone was dead. How do they hit the reset button and bring the original cast back?

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,113
    Medals:
    Here's a new theme show, it's about choices and sacrifice ("how bad do you want it?")

I believe the plan is to make several short seasons, different stories, but I don't know if it's going to be the same cast.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    Is it just me or does Zellweger's character Ann Montgomery seem maybe a bit more than just a woman? Is it maybe a little bit supernatural? It looks very good though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +885
    Revenge had so many great characters, plots & arcs but was the victim of execs being far too full of themselves. Instead of a planned run of 3 short seasons, it's early ratings success made execs turn it into a show that ran for 6 months rather than 10 weeks, to the extend that creator Mike Kelley walked away and plunged the show into non direction and ultimately lost fans.

Season 1 was epic, season 2 had no direction what-so-ever and was hugely frustrating, season 3 tried to be clever again but generally failed. It should really have ended there, but hey, we got season 4 anyway, ending the show on a whimper.

That said, over the 4 seasons there were some brilliant twists and turns, how wonderful it would have been without all those added episodes of padding.

I'd certainly love to see Mike Kelley's Revenge as originally intended - 3 10 episode seasons with a solid story, full character arcs and ending.

Again - the execs screw it all up because they think money whereas the creators/writers think story.

I also like the idea of an anthology series, that could be fun as I love Slasher and AHS etc.

Would also love to see that cast back together again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    The first season was supposed to end after 13 episodes, and the events of the first 15 episodes as aired were to have taken place in these 13. But as soon as the show premiered and started bringing buzz and ratings to ABC in that Wednesday time-slot (the one once occupied by Dynasty) and being the one show that could stand up to the CSI competition on CBS, the network put tremendous pressure to lengthen the season to 22. Mike Kelley admitted that he cannibalized the arc, pushing most of season 2 planned events into season 1, and coming up with a whole new plot for season 2, effectively derailing the show's original plan. I don't know if the show ever got back to that.

In a deadline article on his departure, the writer's article stated that
    "I hear Kelley, who created the cult CBS drama Swing Town before taking a crack at a female-driven contemporary take on The Count Of Monte Cristo with Revenge, had been lobbying for shorter seasons for the heavily serialized drama. From the get-go, he had argued with ABC and ABC Studios that Revenge was much better suited for cable-style orders instead of the standard broadcast 22-episode seasons. After a fast start, Revenge was moved into the high-profile Sunday 9 PM slot last fall though it has been uneven creatively. I hear the pressure to churn out 22 episodes a season while maintaining the quality has taken a toll, sometime causing tension on the set and ultimately leading to Kelley’s decision to move on."

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    I watched the first two episodes last night and it has something about it. It's a bit like REVENGE in style, but it somehow just isn't as gripping. I love the cast and the settings and that neo noir vibe it has going on. And Zellweger really chews the scenery in her role but there is something just not as addictive as REVENGE. I expected the second episode to end with a WTF moment. It didn't... Being only ten episodes I am not sure if this has enough bite? Maybe I'm wrong?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    It's interesting that Kelley's new show for Netflix WHAT/IF is only 10 episodes long. Hopefully it really gets going after the first two I have watched. It just doesn't have that addictive as crack thing that REVENGE had right away.

9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,113
    Medals:
    Revenge had a lot of sensational ingredients: mystery, impostors and of course the revenge itself. It couldn't be more plot-driven if it tried.

10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    Have you watched any of WHAT/IF?

11. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +885
    Oh I didn't realise that WHAT/IF was Kelley - will have a look now.

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,113
    Medals:
    Only the first 15 minutes. Hot hunk naked bum-alert! Will watch some more tonight (or maybe a lot of it).

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    He is very gorgeous. The new Daniel Grayson? And he's unclothed quite a bit. In fact there's a fair bit of hot man candy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Yes, I've watched the first episode - and I will watch the second, just to be sure - but I didn't find that it enticed me back. It's quite clearly a Mike Kelley show but it's nowhere near the level of Revenge. Let me be clear: THERE WILL NEVER BE A BITCH AS FABULOUS AS VICTORIA GRAYSON.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,846
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    And Zellweger now looks like Laura Linney! I wonder what Laura thinks about it...

[​IMG]

The whole thing probably started here...​

16. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,100
    Medals:
    I was tricked that time! :lol: It was the Swedish blonde genes that made me believe it and maybe that I wanted to believe it. I miss Revenge, it was fun.

17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,100
    Medals:
    This is just inaccurate. Apparently there was talk at ABC/Disney about doing a soap in the Hamptons before Kelley was even aboard the ship. The revenge concept came about afterwards. It's also worth that this was done before the idea of shortening broadcast shows to limited seasons was even a thing - Kelley had to have known that if the show was successful, the network would've wanted 22 episodes. Period. I just don't think Kelley ever thought this would be a hit, so had a plan for 13 episodes and then he'd be out - but he can't admit to that.

To put it this way: Revenge was concieved as a soap from the start.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I've one episode left and would say that it doesn't reach those addictive peaks of season 1 Revenge, nor is it particularly twisty (if you know soap, you can see them all coming a mile off). But there is something fascinating about Renee Zellweger's performance and I knew in the first half that I wanted to stick through the whole thing.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    I do remember reading at he time that ABC made Kelley stretch out the show to the standard 22 episodes. So it's not a new story after the fact. I really do think Kelley pitched the show as a concept show with limited number of episodes and that the network agreed then decided to milk it once it was successful. It would also explain why Kelley decided to bail on the show that had become a hit. He felt he couldn't sustain the story after eating into his planned season 2 and using it for the back half of season 1.

20. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,100
    Medals:
    Kelley was on the show for seasons 1-2.