Rewatching 84-85

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Chris2, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +567
    They offered Barbara the same contract for Season 14 DVD that Howard Keel was offered, for 4 episodes only. Howard accepted the offer, Barbara turned it down and retired from acting.

It was Philip Capice, who remembered what Larry Hagman did in 1980 with his successful contract renegotiation. What Capice did in 1984 backfired, and he admitted so by asking Barbara back.

Larry isn't to blame for what happened to Barbara in 1984. He didn't know about it until it was too late, although he did try to get his real-life mother Mary Martin to take over before Donna Reed was confirmed in the role. Larry Hagman and Philip Capice were rivals almost as much as Capice and Leonard Katzman by this point.

2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +451
    Hagman would do anything for money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +226
    They should've just kept Miss Ellie offscreen for that entire season. I'm sure the writers could've put together a believable explanation like they did for Jock up until his offscreen death.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +575
    You are right, but in a good way.
    If you see the interviews during the peak of Dallas's popularity, you'll notice that Larry is enjoying the negotiation as much as he's enjoying the money. His attitude seemed to be, "There's a lot of people getting very rich off of this show, and we need to get as big a piece of that pie as we can!"

Or, as we say it in Texas, "We need some of that gravy to spill on to our biscuit!"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,941
    I agree that it was a mistake to stunt cast a star but I don't entirely blame Reed for the Dynasty-isation of Miss Ellie as Lady of the Manor instead of earthy farmgirl.

6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,922
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    That agent conned her a few thousands of bucks later, so let me assure it was a matter of that guy being greedy. Again, I mention @Barbara Belle of The Ball if she likes to confirm it or deny it.

And also again, I wonder why there´s this trend of bashing each and every one of the "Dallas" actors in the recent years (just pre-clash, by the way). Why isn´t there a forum for "Dallas" haters where everybody can insult and tarnish the reputation of the artists who made us love the show? Sometimes I don´t understand what is happening in this kind of "cyber-society".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +451
    Since we found out that Ellie was really in an institution when she was supposed to be on her honeymoon with Clayton in TNT's Dallas, this is why Ellie acted different when she returned....

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +677
    This season is when the decline of the show began in my opinion. From here until the end, each season got progressively worse than the one before it. The lone exception is the 1986/1987 season, which I found to be on par with the shows earlier seasons. This season was still part of the Paulsen era, and is decent overall, but there's a staleness to it. As the OP said, many of the storylines had been done in a similar fashion before. It wasn't over the top like the dream season, nor was it campy and cornpone like the later years, but it was mediocre. Obviously, the recasting of Miss Ellie was the most glaring flaw of the season. What made it worse is that Miss Ellie had two pivotal scenes that season. I'm talking about the removal of Jock's portrait, as well as Bobby's deathbed scene. With Reed in the part, both scenes lacked the emotional punch they otherwise would have had if BBG had still been there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +567
    For me, 1985-86 was fresh, with different dynamics in the show in the aftermath of Bobby's death. Whereas 1986-87, while having some good nostalgic moments, is searching for a past that had already become stale by 1984-85.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    I've never thought of this scenario, but how brave if the CBS Executives decided to pause their cash cow for a whole season? Of course silly me, they would never do that but it leaves me thinking if this strategy could have worked in favour of Dallas. Think about it. We're left with the previous season cliffhanger of Bobby being shot. Viewers are going to go nuts wishing for answers. It would be reminiscent of "Who Shot JR?" all over again.

I've always been in two minds about this season only because it's the tipping point of, "What happened to my beloved show?" I've mentioned it numerous times there is something a little off from the opening episode and everytime I wish to revisit Dallas I have pains placing the disc into the DVD player....only because I know what's coming.

Despite her son being shot and in hospital Miss Ellie continues on her honeymoon though Clayton returns to Dallas with his excuses. Of course we know the reason why.

Afton is let go to make way for Mandy. Katherine is dealt with by episode 4 and the horrid Ewing from the north jets (walks) in to stake her claim. There are some good elements like Mandy becoming besties with Pam, but compared to the previous season this was a misstep from the writers, though I believe those tensions behind the scenes were allowed to manifest themselves onto the small screen.

My only regret about this season was watching the powerful scene at the end when Bobby flatlines. There stands Donna Reed, Barbara's stand-in.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +688
    Just out of curiosity, what were you specifically referring to when you wrote "searching for a past that had already become stale by 1984-85"?

I liked the first 6 or 7 episodes of season 9. I think the last episode I liked in that season was the one where Miss Ellie accepted the Lifetime Achievement Award for Bobby and then gave to Pam. I thought that was very well acted, and it made sense because otherwise Ewing Oil would have been destroyed and it had become basically as integral a character as one of the people in Dallas. So many stories revolved around Ewing Oil that you wouldn't ever want them to get rid of it.

Seeing JR and Pam have to work together was kind of a fun novelty although I'm glad they didn't push it any further. It's like Pam said to Mark: "JR knows so much more about the oil business than me that it's terrifying." Therefore seeing someone with no qualifications in a long term management role would have made somewhat of a mockery of something they needed to take seriously so that the audience would care.

Season 10 was good and one reason why was Bobby and Pam getting married again. They marriage, their romance, was part of the foundation which the show was built upon. They were this couple whose love was so strong that hopefully, their marriage could withstand any amount of interference from the Barnes - Ewing feud.

I preferred season 10 to season 9 with the exception of the infamous "It was all a dream" explanation. Realistically they never should have brought Duffy back. Even though he had a lot of fans and some stopped watching when Bobby got run over, every single fan was adversely affected by "It was all a dream." Of course it hurts the show to lose a character as significant as Bobby or Pam, but it doesn't hurt the show as much as the alternative of bringing back a character the audience had seen die. The show killed its own credibility in way they could never entirely regain it. Once you do that to your fans they will never entirely have the same respect for the show again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    Kenny this is where you and I differ. On multiple rewatches of Dallas there is this undyling feeling that the House of Barnes and the House of Ewing are going to collide in spectacular fashion. This is evident in the lead up to and the aftermath of Bobby's death. Numerous scenes where Pam and JR clashed alluded to something bigger was on the horizon.

When the contents of Bobby's Will was revealed it was like revisiting the story when Jock pitted his two sons against each other for control of Ewing Oil. Many on this site agree this is when Dallas was at its best.

I'm not sure of the timing of Victoria announcing her imminent departure from Dallas. It has been stated on this forum she gave the producers 2 years notice so did this occur prior to Patrick announcing he was returning? The producers really had cornered themselves with Dallas and the noticeable drop in ratings should have given CBS and Lorimar the trigger to pull the pin on Dallas. I would have given the series one more season after Bobby flatlined. Another poster suggested the fallout from Bobby's death should have been armageddon. I see their point.

Pam may not have had JR's business experience but she would have enjoyed far more support than JR since by this time he had burnt too many bridges. Miss Ellie might be the momma but she understands more than most how dirty her son would play. I longed to see JR Ewing's back up against the wall, pinned actually. I wished to see that mean streak. Here is a man on the brink of losing it. He feels portrayed by his family, feels the responsibility and loss of Bobby, determined to hang onto the one thing he always loved - EWING OIL. Such determination leaves a path of destruction.

If this meant the loss of Ewing Oil then so be it. I wanted Dallas to go out in a blaze of glory. It could have long be remembered as the best drama to appear on our small screens rather than the dithering mess it ultimately became.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Well, I finished 84/85 today. It does get better as the season goes on. The lawsuit for Ewing Oil story was well paced and interesting, even if it did rewrite history. I didn’t love how they tore Donna and Ray apart - hadn’t they already settled their differences over Donna’s career?

But the biggest reason I don’t love this season? The hero dies at the end. And he doesn’t just die - he is murdered, essentially. BIG downer. We wait all that time to see Romeo and Juliet reunited, and the reunion is only fleeting. It’s hard to get excited about the next season when there’s so much misery ahead. Dallas is supposed to be a fun show, but Bobby’s death is no fun.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  14. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +677
    It started off that way, but soon went in a meandering direction with the Marinos Shipping, emerald mine, and deaf kids storylines. Even Pam working at Ewing Oil went nowhere.

I thought this season brought a fresh take and much needed direction to the show. Just as the family had mourned and moved on from Jock, here comes Wes Parmalee to play on their emotions. Some rejected him, some believed him, and some didn't know what to think. I thought it was done well. Then you had Sue Ellen take everything she'd learned from JR to become a successful business woman and get rid of Mandy Winger. Pam grew a back bone and stood up to Cliff, Jenna's pregnancy and living with Ray caused conflict for Bobby and Pam, and we got one last season of Bobby and Pam together. And to top it all off, JR finally paid the ultimate price for his sins as his involvement with BD Calhoun cost him Ewing Oil.

I always thought the 1986/1987 season should have been the final season. It just has an air of finality to it.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +575
    Bobby's death was no fun, but as you said, he went out a hero.
    The way they brought him back tarnished the whole thing, and was almost worse than his death in the first place.

And there is something to be said for going out on top.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    It may have been fleeting however this is what I loved about the series. Romeo (Bobby) and Juliet (Pam) drove the series from the opening moment. As much as I loved seeing these two characters together I just knew it was all going to end in tragedy. Bobby and Pam never stood a chance with JR circling.

17. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,941
    Of course people forget that -spoiler alert - Romeo and Juliet both die at the end.

18. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +688
    Do you suppose Shakespeare's reputation would be somewhat less highly regarded than it is if instead Romeo had been resurrected by declaring his death to have only happened in one of Juliet's nightmares?

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,428
    That's almost clever.