1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Rewatching Knots Landing

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Karin Schill, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Definitely. Tonight it was "Let's Get Married..."

So now Pat's been taken off life support. She is gone and Julie and Frank both hate Danny for it. They blame him for her death. It was not his intention to kill her. I am sure of that. After all she saved his life. But he still hit her.:(

Val calls Danny and tells him that she loves him. :eek:
    What is going on?
    Oh yeah she and Gary were just setting up Danny by having him drive without a license so he could get arrested. :D

Poor Paige is being stood up at the wedding since Greg blackmailed Tom into leaving. He could go to jail and get married, or be a free man and leave. It's so annoying how he broke them up since I wanted them to get married.

Anne tries to scam her daughter out of all her inheritance money. She's such a gold digger it's not even funny.

Gary proposes to Val. :love4:
    It's the end of the season so now it's time to tease the audience with the possibility of Val and Gary getting back together again so they'll stay tuned for the next season. How many times haven't this been done already? :re:

Jeff frames Diane for being Karen's stalker. But we then learn that it's him. He has already killed five women who's all worked on TV too. :omg:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    So that's it for season 11. Here's my thoughts on it:

I loved:

- Paige and Tom
    He was definitely her best match. I loved the two of them together and would have loved to see them get married. It's like Paige grew up this season. She's more likable than before. Also Tom is an interesting character with some shades of grey. So the two of them made this season enjoyable to watch.

- Danny telling Bobby that Gary is his real father
    Finally the twins knows that Gary is their father and can start calling him daddy. It's not a moment too soon.

- Tonya Crowe & Pat Petersen making it to the opening credits
    After watching these kids grow up for ten seasons it's so neat to see them take place among the adults. :)

- Val turning to Gary for help

It was great to see her move into the ranch and how they were becoming more like a family.

I liked:

- Danny & Val's marriage falling apart
    I don't like them together and I am not meant to like them either. But it's really satisfying how quickly their marriage fell apart after they had tied the knot. Also who is there to pick up the pieces?
    Gary. :)

- Linda, Eric, Michael triangle
    It offered some drama. I enjoyed the brief scenes with the brothers. Sadly I think it was the last we saw of Eric as I think the actor died shortly afterwards.

- Pat saving Danny's life
    This is a great plot twist. It's all so ironic.

- Harold and Olivia trying to make their marriage work
    It was nice to see them together. Yet it seems like it was doomed from the very beginning. Olivia is too young to get married and she should have listened to Abby and gone to college.

- Danny & Val vs. Gary & Amanda

This dynamic was more interesting than I remembered it to be although it's painfully obvious that they are just brought in to keep Val and Gary from getting back together again. I like how Aunt Ginny is helping Gary too and how Gary sticks by Amanda after the rape.

- Greg and Paula
    They actually made a rather nice match.

I disliked:

- Danny
    What an annoying character. It's scary how he can be all sweet to Val one minute and then turn around and rape Amanda the next minute. Also we learn that Val is actually Danny's third wife so he's done this to Amanda and yet another woman before. What a jerk. Yet it was a great plot twist.

- Pat dying
    It sucks how Danny killed her and broke up their happy home. I felt so bad for Frank and Julie.
    Yet I guess it had to be done since I guess the actress wanted off the show...

- Linda
    What a bitch. How can she go from one brother to the other?
    Poor Michael tries to do the right thing but she completely plays him.

- Karen's stalker
    The plot seems tiresome somehow. Maybe it's the fact that I am watching it for the second time so I already know who the bad guy is from the beginning.

Over all it's a stronger season than I remembered it to be. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    It was a bit more complicated than that. Lynne Moody was indeed dissatisfied. She wanted to do more--or more to the point, wanted meatier material to play. She was interviewed on a talk show and shared her wishes for Patricia to get better material. The show-runners apparently did not like being criticized in public by Moody, so they wrote her out as punishment. I think Moody would have stayed in the role if the show runners hadn't gotten PO'd at her...she just wanted to see Patricia (and likely the Williamses in general) doing more. Though Moody was relatively new to Knots, she was a well-known fixture of TV in the 1970s and 1980s, appearing in many, many shows (she was even in Roots). Her being let go seemed (at the time) to be a relatively petty action on the part of the show runners, and of course her dismissal pretty much doomed any plans to turn the Williamses into a "main family" on the cul-de-sac on par with the Ewings, MacKenzies, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Wasn't there a rumoured affair that Gary and Patricia would have?

Also, as the Knots Landing cast had more of a say in their character and storylines compared to other big soaps of the time (unless you were Larry Hagman after "Who Shot J.R.?"), you wonder why it didn't work out for Lynne Moody and why she went public with her complaints on a talk show.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    I assume that it was because she didn't keep her feelings "in-house". The other ladies frequently lobbied the producers for more airtime and pitched story ideas in meetings with those in charge, or at least while they were on set. The other leading ladies likely knew how far they could push--and when to do it, since they'd been at it for years. Also, Moody didn't have the others' seniority, so even if she had kept her feelings in-house, there's no guarantee the producers would have (or could have) accommodated her. There's only so much airtime for the cast to divide up.

Constance McCashin seemingly did not engage in such "lobbying" behavior, and it almost certainly led to her being pushed into supporting-character territory in season six, onwards, and made her character look "expendable" by season eight.

6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Thanks for explaining about Lynne Moody's exit from the show. I always assumed that she wanted off the show so I was sad to read that she had been let go. I really think that Frank, Pat and Julie were a good addition to the show and Pat's exit hurt the family dynamics. :(

Also it says on IMDB that Larry Riley died from AIDS in 1992 so at the back of my mind I wondered if maybe that was a contributing factor to that Lynne Moody wanted off the show as people were really frightned of this disease in the 1980s so maybe she was too a few years later?

Then again I don't know how long he had the disease and if his co-stars were aware of it. Supposedly his widow mentioned it after he died.

Now on to the next episode. Last night it was "You Can Call Me Nick"...

First a recap what's happened earlier this season.

Finally both Danny and Jeff are off the show. Good riddance.
    Albeit the investigation into Danny's death lingers on.

Also Jeff's attack on Karen brought out her Pollyanna speech. I loved that moment.

Oh and I absolutely love that Val and Gary are properly back together again. :)

It was so cute in this episode how they were dancing to that song "Only You" while they showed old clips of them from previous seasons. Although the "music video" didn't always quite matched the lyrics that well. Just a little nitpicking from someone who's made fan music videos for the past 15 years as a hobby... ;)

Karen is back to her cheerful self but Mack manage to make her good mood wear off when he tries to fix the plumbing himself instead of calling a plummer. Also Meg acts a bit bratty and prefers Barbara's company to her mom's. She wants cookies for breakfast.

Paige and Tom are back together too. I enjoy that. :)
    Paige is looking for a new job but Greg is ruining her chances.

I am fed up with the Greg is dying plot already. If memory serves me right he will have a liver transplant and will get well.

Greg's sister is there to cash in too and Greg is bonding with his niece who is played by the same actress who played his daughter last season.

Anne is broke and is trying to blackmail an Italian lover for cash. Oh lire, what a worthless currency it was. 23 million lire = 20 000 american dollars! rotf

Val and Gary shares a sweet middle of the night talk when he tells her how happy he is and how all his dreams have come true.

Oh-uh trouble is brewing for Val and Gary as the twins return from their outing at the ranch saying something's happened to mommy...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    I love the writing of those scenes. Mack and Karen sparring over whether he can fix the sink/pipes/whatever, and then later in the episode they're discussing something else entirely, but you see the plumber in the background fixing what we assume is the mess that Mack made trying to fix the original problem. I like how they don't even have to acknowledge it--the viewer can infer what happened. That makes it even funnier, in my opinion.

On soaps, it's always the kiss of death when a problem-plagued couple suddenly basks in their happiness or otherwise comments on how things are finally "in place". They only do that right before the [excrement] hits the fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    You know I hadn't even noticed that the plumber was fixing the sink in the background. But you are right that is excellent!

I agree with you about the happy couples though. It's usually a sign that more bad stuff is coming their way.

A lot has happened since I last wrote an episode recap. Tom and Paige has broken up and Paige got engaged to Greg. Claudia made sure that Greg got well by getting him moved ahead on the liver transplant list. He makes it and when he comes to he finds out that a 25 year old non-drinker had died giving him a liver. "Then I can start fresh" he says and does just that. It bugs me somehow how he is seen smoking his cigars and drinking liquor the moment after he's found that out. :(

Paige later has a change of heart after she dreams a nightmare where she meets an older version of herself in a bar. She realizes that she doesn't want to get married to Greg since she wants different things in life. Such as having a family. She really should have married Tom. The two of them were a much better match.

Linda and Paige are competing for Greg's attention at the office.

Val is acting more and more irrational and refuses to take her medication.

Anne got married to Nick and then annulled it. But she got no money as Paige's trust fund went belly-up and the lawyers even presented her with a bill instead. lol
    I enjoy Anne and Nick together.

So tonight it was "A sense of urgency"...

So in this episode Val reaches a turning point and decides to check herself into a hospital to get help. It was cooking the kids hermit crabs for dinner that made her realize how sick she's gotten. You can see the despair on her face when she realizes not only that she is sick but also that her kids have noticed it. Excellent conclusion to this storyline.

In this episode Frank breaks a date with Julie's english teacher when she wants them to go out for dinner. He thinks she doesn't want him to date her English teacher and can't tell her that he wants to go out with her. But he is worrying for nothing as Julie wants to fix him up with her. I do think it's a bit too soon though as Pat hasn't even been dead a year.

Kate meets a guy who I thought she was going to date. But if memory serves me right he is her half-brother.

However the major moment is at the end when Mack tells Jason that his father beat him. I had forgotten about that detail. Once again the show does an excellent job of building character depth and that final scene is so emotional that it really touches me. :hat:

9. Mustard

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +491
    If I'm not mistaken, it was after Lynne Moody had left Knots Landing that Larry Riley had that dramatic weight loss in a short period of time. Riley denied that he had HIV or AIDS, saying that he had a kidney condition, and his having AIDS was only confirmed after his death.

10. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    It's all rather confused, since so many people were keeping secrets (though for the right reasons).
    The whole "kidney failure" cover story was cooked up by him and his wife to divert attention from his true situation, to allow them some privacy, and the
    Knots
    producers went along with it. It wasn't until he passed away that his widow revealed the truth about why he died by appearing on a few talk shows.

A story I heard afterwards said that he told the producers about his illness soon after diagnosis (well before he started looking so ill) and they decided to bump him up to principal (that is, on contract) so he could collect a better salary and pay what would be expected to be huge medical bills. This was a big deal, since there were many producers who would have found some way to fire him or otherwise get rid of him...to avoid 'controversy' and the inevitable problems that would occur if they projected stories for his character that might not get to be played if his health deteriorated quickly. He didn't really have a storyline of his own as his health got worse, certainly not enough to merit being given principal status, but they did it anyway and I applaud them for sticking by him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,458
    I also found it a bit run-of-the-mill, especially by Knots standards.
    I figured that it wasn't the obsessive fan, because that would have been too obvious.
    Diane was a total bitch and she didn't strike me as someone who had to resort to this kind of intimidation. So it had to be "mediator" Jeff.
    Well at least that was fun.

I didn't hate it, but I think it was the weakest storyline of that season (one of my favourite seasons, actually).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Since Robin Strasser (who played Dianne) was/is considered daytime soap royalty, I thought her hiring was a sign that they wanted someone of her stature (recognizability) to play a major role. I kept waiting for them to hint that she was going to cross over into other stories and become a part of the "whole" show, not just Karen's story. That of course never happened, which was a missed opportunity IMO. Most of all, her media background could have allowed Dianne to leave the TV station to become a PR/media liaison for the Sumner Group and place her in Greg's orbit. A cynical and smart-mouthed PR person would have been perfect for Greg's needs, since he was such a (supposed) public figure. It would also allow Karen to stand off to one side rolling her eyes as Dianne appeared on TV to talk down the latest Sumner Group scandal. Paige and Claudia would have naturally clashed with Dianne on everything, too--or perhaps Claudia would have coaxed Dianne into becoming a secret ally.

But no, none of that happened. RS has been known to be a bit too outspoken/critical when she's not happy with the material, and the show already had enough divas. :)

13. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Interesting discussion everyone. I'm learning new things about the show that I didn't know before. :)

Also I'm a bit into season 13 by now so I figured it was way over due that I summed up season 12:

I loved:

- Gary & Val getting remarried
    Finally, this is something we've been waiting for pretty much ever since they split up. The wedding itself was rather short and I felt a bit bad for their kids that they missed it but it was also rather sweet how they eloped. I guess big weddings just wasn't Gary's style, as he and Abby also had a smaller wedding. It was also hilarious in that episode when they were making out in the bushes outside of the Sumner group and the guard found them. It probably would have worked better if the guard would have been significantly older though. :giggle:

- Anne and Nick
    The two of them were really funny together. They provided some much needed comic relief in the middle of some heavier plot.

- Jason's storyline
    In a way I think Mack was butting in where he wasn't supposed to as it seemed like he made the situation between Jason and his father worse. Yet when it was explained why he did it and how his father had beaten him it made sense and it offered some character growth for Mack. I also found Jason and Julie to be a cute teenage couple.

I liked:

- Paige calling off her engagement with Greg
    I think the two of them are a mismatch in the sense that they want different things in life. It's better she found that out now rather than later. It was also rather poetic how she met her older self in that dream and realized she wouldn't be happy married to Greg.

- Claudia and Kate
    The characters are okay since they offer some character depth and sense of family to Greg. Although the whole Greg has a half-brother who is also the son of Galveston was a bit of a repeat of the whole Peter storyline.

- Michael quitting the Sumner group and leaving on a journey
    I liked his exit but I was sad to see him go since we've watched that boy grow up on the show.

- Val's virus
    The storyline was interesting. You never knew what Val would do next. Poor Gary had to put up with a lot of her worse behaviour.

- Linda and Paige rivalry at work

It was interesting to see them compete. I enjoyed it when Linda got ahead by merits. But of course they went ahead and ruined her character later on in the season.

I disliked:

- Tom's exit
    I think he and Paige were really good for each other and would have loved to see them get married. It seems like he's her one that got away. :(

- Linda and Greg
    Seriously why does all the young girls have to sleep with the boss? :eek:

- Greg's transplant
    I am sure this plot was very cutting age and before it's time when it happened, as organ donation seemed to be rather new back in the 1990s. But there's something about it that bored me when I rewatched it. I'm not sure why. :confuse:

- Karen's stalker
    This plot overstayed it's welcome and wasn't that interesting when you had already watched it once.

- Kate's brother getting killed
    It seemed such a waste to introduce him just to have him be killed off. My guess is they thought he should be Paige's new love interest but somehow he didn't work for that.

Over all it was still a strong season. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    I was disappointed that we didn't get the big wedding but in hindsight perhaps the elopement was more an indication of their truly belonging together than a showy ceremony would have been.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Cynical Alert:
    I always assumed the lack of a big wedding was a nod to their ever-decreasing budget. Weddings on soaps take a long time to film and involve tons of extras, special-guest stars (as needed), and a lot of overtime, location work, etc.--they were not willing to shell out the big bucks. Getting the whole cast together for one event seems to be an expensive undertaking, and bringing back such logical attendees as Lilimae or (gasp) Lucy was not possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. CVU360

CVU360 Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Daniel Avery, your theory about cost-cutting makes a lot of sense. I had never thought about that. Your comment about Lucy prompted me to add one more aspect. With Pam's dream on Dallas, there could no longer be any crossovers. How could Gary and Val remarry without their adult daughter Lucy being invited? They did that already with the thought that they didn't want to get her hopes up in case it didn't work out. Having the spur-of-the-moment ceremony eliminated the Lucy complication.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Welcome to the board @CVU360 I hope you're going to like it here. :)

I was also disappointed about the lack of big wedding to start with even though it is sort of sweet how they giggle their way through the ceremony.
    Excellent points about Lilimae and Lucy attending Gary & Val's wedding. Somehow the thought that Lucy might attend it didn't cross my mind. But I would have loved to see that. Too bad that they didn't go with the big wedding but yeah considering that it was season 12 it is possible that they didn't have that big of a budget to spend on events like that. :(

Then as for the crossovers. Yes Pam's dream put an end to the crossovers except in the final episode of Dallas Gary and Val both appeared again in the alternate universe to show what their lives would have been like if JR had never been born. Surprise! Turns out that their lives were better the way they were with JR in the world! ;)
    So well it was technically not a crossover but they did get another Dallas appearance after the dream season. Also since Lucy left the show before the dream started I still say it's a shame they didn't have her and Mitch relocate to Knots Landing instead of Atlanta when they left Dallas. I would have loved to have seen her interact with her parents, siblings, grandma, step-siblings and step-parents. So many missed opportunities.

Tonight it was "1000 Nights of Anne Matheson"...

So now when Anne's radio show is a hit she is thinking of moving out from Benny's apartment. Poor Benny doesn't want her to go since he's in love with her. It's all revealed on her radio show and she realizes that he is the one who calls in. I must say I like the new Anne, when she first appeared she was such a snob but now after losing all her possessions it's like she's gotten a bit more down to earth.

Kate has a girltalk with Val since she can't have one with her own mother. It was cute how Val said she knew right away that she loved Gary. Also later when Val and Gary discusses Kate, it's almost like if they were her parents. I guess it's because she's younger than Lucy.

Kate then gets together with Joseph the professor who is doing the tidal energy project with Gary and Pierce. Paige is working with them too in a refreshing twist. I had forgotten that Greg fired her from the Sumner Group.

Paige is together with Pierce and his ex has shown up, Victoria, they share a secret about some boat accident. I must say that in the scene with Paige and Victoria I could see shades of what's to come in Desperate Housewives! :cool1

Linda has been murdered and Greg wants her killer Johnson dead. It's Meg's birthday and Johnson shows up at the end after Greg has left!
    I had completely forgotten about that episode cliffhanger.:omg:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Pet Peeve:
    Meg was born in the episode "Parental Guidance," which originally aired on April 30, 1987. This episode where they celebrate her birthday aired November 14, 1991. You'd think the idiots in charge of season 13 would have done some simple research. Unless over-indulgent Karen decided to give Meg two birthdays.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Speaking of The Idiots In Charge of Season 13 (TIIC), you might want to watch with a slightly more critical eye as these episodes unfold, with particular emphasis on how certain characters are suddenly acting out of character, and how certain characters end up barely/rarely seen.

Your "What I dislike" list might be very close to what we the viewers thought, which is why you will also see some important (some would say "life-saving") changes to the storylines and the overall production half-way through the season. I think it will be rather easy to spot the first episode(s) where those changes were made.

20. Mustard

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Yes, agreed. Interesting how Gary and Val were just meant for each other in almost every universe, even if they first met in middle age instead of as teenagers. Gary had a big row with Jock and J.R. that day when he left Southfork in a huff when he went to the diner and first met Val. But for that row, when would they have met? Gary stayed away for months afterwards too, marrying Val and settling down with her. Val, with a baby on the way, then pestered Gary to take them to Southfork to meet his family, what Val in 1978 called "the biggest mistake of my whole life", but it probably made her even stronger in the long run.

Yes. Lucy would have fitted into Knots Landing pretty well by then as well, unlike in the more humble early seasons of Knots Landing when she wouldn't have. Lucy and Lilimae would have been interesting, her other grandma. I think they'd have got on well because they both have a mischievious side, and probably would have ganged up on Val a bit.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1