Rewatching Knots Landing

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Karin Schill, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I don't see it as a complication. Pam's dream didn't erase Lucy as a character. The fact that she was mentioned in season 14 proves that. As long as they didn't discuss Bobby's status there'd be no conflict.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +429
    But Bobby living on, or dying, had a knock on effect beyond just Bobby.

In the universe where Bobby died, all of Knots Landing is canon but only the events of Seasons 1-9 DVD of Dallas are canon (minus the last scene of Season 9 DVD). So basically, the last we saw of Lucy in this universe was in Swansong.

In the other universe, where Bobby lived on, canon is Seasons 1-6 of Knots Landing only, and Dallas DVD Seasons 1-8 (last scene before the dream starts in Swansong is Ray and Donna talking at night around 51 minutes into the episode) and Seasons 10-14.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I'm not going to get into an argument about the dual universe theory. The fact remains that Lucy still exists in Knots Landing as late as Val's supposed death because Mack mentions her by name as being in Europe and offers to track her down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,439
    Interesting points about how Bobby's death divided the shows into dual universes. Still I don't see it as a problem whereas Lucy is concerned. Also the fact that they said that Lucy was in Europe actually follows what happened on Dallas later on as when Lucy left the show in 1990 that's where she was going. So they had been paying attention there.

So well the way I see it in Knots Landing everything that happened up until the dream season in Dallas is canon. In Dallas everything that happened on Knots Landing is canon except Bobby dying. Because well if nothing that happened on Knots after the dream season was canon then Gary would still be married to Abby in the Dallas universe. So the fact that he ended up with Val follows the Knots Landing story. ;)

Good point. I had noticed that they had aged Meg with about two years but not that they had changed her birthday!

Tonight it was "Holiday on Ice"...

It was a really cute Christmas episode. I loved it how Gary dressed up as Santa and that the power went out. The candle lights created a special atmosphere. :kwan:
    Also it was hilarious how the men wanted to watch football and the women wanted to hear that Christmas music.:sc:

Also love the singing of the Christmas carols. But it was hilarious how Michele Lee's singing was pre-recorded with piano when everything else was acapela live. It really stood out and probably would have fitted better if we'd seen one of the other characters accompanying her on the piano.

It was also funny how Betsy thought Kate's present was to just her and not also to Bobby. Meg running into "Uncle Greg" at Claudia's was cute too. Poor Greg when she asked him if he had any kids. It must have been weird for him.

Poor Jason doesn't wanna go to Sweden. Christmas Day seems like a weird day to leave on too as usually schools have two weeks off over the holidays. So the semester doesn't start until after New Years over here so it would have made more sense for him to arrive a few days later. If you are in college you don't get any holidays though as teachers love to give you assignments over the holidays which are due early in January. :re:

Also this is a bit of an odd reflection, but watching the McKenzie's and Ewings celebrate the holiday together and being so close friends made me wonder why the creators of Friends doesn't want to give us a spin-off show now?
    I mean I can totally picture the six of them still being close friends even in mid-life. Especially considering that Chandler & Monica ended up married and Ross and Rachel ended up together too and Monica and Ross will always be siblings. So there's some natural connections there. I know this is totally unrelated to Knots Landing but still I think it could work!

But yeah over all it was a really cute Christmas episode. :18:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +429
    I'm not saying that nothing happened after Season 6 of Knots Landing in one universe, or Season 9 DVD of Dallas in the other, as life did go on in those universes but certain things would be different from what we watched on screen, to a greater or lesser extent. With Seasons 9 and 10 DVD of Dallas we get to see both versions, i.e. the year without Bobby after he died, and the year with Bobby living on without dying. It is different by quite a bit. In Knots Landing, perhaps the events beyond Season 6 don't change as much, but certain things would be different. Gary would not be in Dallas for Bobby's funeral which allowed Abby and Greg to take advantage at Empire Valley, nor is it likely that Val would have named her son Bobby.

• Agree Agree x 1