1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Rewatching Knots Landing

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Karin Schill, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    I don't see it as a complication. Pam's dream didn't erase Lucy as a character. The fact that she was mentioned in season 14 proves that. As long as they didn't discuss Bobby's status there'd be no conflict.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +491
    But Bobby living on, or dying, had a knock on effect beyond just Bobby.

In the universe where Bobby died, all of Knots Landing is canon but only the events of Seasons 1-9 DVD of Dallas are canon (minus the last scene of Season 9 DVD). So basically, the last we saw of Lucy in this universe was in Swansong.

In the other universe, where Bobby lived on, canon is Seasons 1-6 of Knots Landing only, and Dallas DVD Seasons 1-8 (last scene before the dream starts in Swansong is Ray and Donna talking at night around 51 minutes into the episode) and Seasons 10-14.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    I'm not going to get into an argument about the dual universe theory. The fact remains that Lucy still exists in Knots Landing as late as Val's supposed death because Mack mentions her by name as being in Europe and offers to track her down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Interesting points about how Bobby's death divided the shows into dual universes. Still I don't see it as a problem whereas Lucy is concerned. Also the fact that they said that Lucy was in Europe actually follows what happened on Dallas later on as when Lucy left the show in 1990 that's where she was going. So they had been paying attention there.

So well the way I see it in Knots Landing everything that happened up until the dream season in Dallas is canon. In Dallas everything that happened on Knots Landing is canon except Bobby dying. Because well if nothing that happened on Knots after the dream season was canon then Gary would still be married to Abby in the Dallas universe. So the fact that he ended up with Val follows the Knots Landing story. ;)

Good point. I had noticed that they had aged Meg with about two years but not that they had changed her birthday!

Tonight it was "Holiday on Ice"...

It was a really cute Christmas episode. I loved it how Gary dressed up as Santa and that the power went out. The candle lights created a special atmosphere. :kwan:
    Also it was hilarious how the men wanted to watch football and the women wanted to hear that Christmas music.:sc:

Also love the singing of the Christmas carols. But it was hilarious how Michele Lee's singing was pre-recorded with piano when everything else was acapela live. It really stood out and probably would have fitted better if we'd seen one of the other characters accompanying her on the piano.

It was also funny how Betsy thought Kate's present was to just her and not also to Bobby. Meg running into "Uncle Greg" at Claudia's was cute too. Poor Greg when she asked him if he had any kids. It must have been weird for him.

Poor Jason doesn't wanna go to Sweden. Christmas Day seems like a weird day to leave on too as usually schools have two weeks off over the holidays. So the semester doesn't start until after New Years over here so it would have made more sense for him to arrive a few days later. If you are in college you don't get any holidays though as teachers love to give you assignments over the holidays which are due early in January. :re:

Also this is a bit of an odd reflection, but watching the McKenzie's and Ewings celebrate the holiday together and being so close friends made me wonder why the creators of Friends doesn't want to give us a spin-off show now?
    I mean I can totally picture the six of them still being close friends even in mid-life. Especially considering that Chandler & Monica ended up married and Ross and Rachel ended up together too and Monica and Ross will always be siblings. So there's some natural connections there. I know this is totally unrelated to Knots Landing but still I think it could work!

But yeah over all it was a really cute Christmas episode. :18:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mustard

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I'm not saying that nothing happened after Season 6 of Knots Landing in one universe, or Season 9 DVD of Dallas in the other, as life did go on in those universes but certain things would be different from what we watched on screen, to a greater or lesser extent. With Seasons 9 and 10 DVD of Dallas we get to see both versions, i.e. the year without Bobby after he died, and the year with Bobby living on without dying. It is different by quite a bit. In Knots Landing, perhaps the events beyond Season 6 don't change as much, but certain things would be different. Gary would not be in Dallas for Bobby's funeral which allowed Abby and Greg to take advantage at Empire Valley, nor is it likely that Val would have named her son Bobby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    I agree with you about Val naming her son Bobby. That was definitely done because Bobby had died.

Also I haven't been watching much of Knots Landing lately since I've been travelling. But I thought I'd write a little something about the last episode I did watch before I left, which was "Letting Go".

I think this was a great episode that for a change was very Gary & Val centered. I loved that. It was a poignant episode too as it was all about Gary letting go of Westfork and moving on. It didn't work for him to work for someone else who didn't love the land the way he did. You can see the struggle in Gary how he wants to remain at the ranch but also doesn't cope well with taking orders from someone else and ends up disagreeing with the new owner's decisions.

I felt sorry for Bobby when Gary yelled at him. But at least he sat down and talked to him about it afterwards. I liked that father-son moment.

The episode also ended on a very nice note with Gary and Val disappearing up the stairs while Bobby looked out wondering where his parents had gone! :giggle:

Finally I couldn't help but noticing that Joan van Ark had directed the episode and I think she did a great job of it. :clap:
    If I remember correctly Joan, Michele, John, Kevin and William have all taken turns directing at least one episode of the show and am I forgetting someone here? :think:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    I think you hit all the names. I assume the producers allowed them to direct episodes as a way of getting around the budget tightening. They might not have been getting the generous raises of the 1980s, so this allowed them to stretch their skills a bit and get an extra paycheck at the same time. They got to do episodes in 12, 13, and 14, usually (but not always) two episodes per season each. JvA even directed an episode of season 14 despite "Val" not being in it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Okay so tonight it was "Denials"...

It's back to revolving around Greg again. This episode is pretty much all about him in the sense that even when he is not in the scene the other characters talk about him.

Val is now writing a book about Greg and has started doing research for her book by interviewing Claudia and Greg himself. He tells her the audience wants to read the sleazy book about him but Val tells him it's not the book she wants to write since she wants his cooperation.

Karen & Mack hate that Val is writing the book about Greg but pretends they don't in a way to keep their friendship. Gary supports Val but tells Karen he doesn't like that Val is workig on the book either.

Karen and Mack has an awkward lunch with Paige where they talk about Greg. It ends with that Paige put up their lunch on the Sumner account and Karen and Mack are no longer in the mood for their romantic getaway that they had planned. :lol:

Claudia is having an affair with Alex in an attempt to keep him away from Kate. Meanwhile Kate's annoying friend Vanessa has shown up and is staying with Kate. She is clearly someone who uses other people for her own enjoyment and doesn't care who she hurts in the process. I seem to remember she hurt Kate and although Kate is far from my favorite character I prefer her over Vanessa. They are both working for Anne at the radio station.

Paige finds out that Anne and Greg are dating each other. Yikes I had forgotten that they were. It's been too long since I've watched an episode when I've forgotten about a details such as that one. :eck:

Pierce is out for revenge. He buys a rifle and at the end he is seen aiming it at Anne and Paige. Greg notices and pushes them out of the way before a shot is fired.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Tonight it was "Do You Love Me?"

So Paige was the one who got shot by Pierce he then kidnapped her from the hospital and took her out on a sailboat where he drowned and Greg and Mack also went under.

Naturally they survived but Greg saw Laura on the other side telling him to go back to living. So he spends the episode mourning Laura. He watches her tape and goes to visit her grave with a rose. It was a rather sweet and simple gesture. He also went to see Meg and bought her a bunch of lolipops. Then at the end when Paige shows up and starts kissing him it feels like she's just in the way.

I don't get why Greg and Paige keeps getting back together and breaking up when they both know that they have no future. He asked her to marry him and she broke off their engagement since she knew they wouldn't be happy together. They want different things in life mainly due to their age difference. :(

Karen even tells Greg to visit Paige because she loves him. Greg tells Karen he already knows that.

Mary Robeson keeps trying to see Meg through Val, who thinks Greg wants to harm Mary. Mary should have just told Val the truth about her identity to start with but she didn't.

Kate falls for Alex. So stupid. Alex rubs Claudia's nose in it.

But yeah the main theme of the episode was Paige recovering and Greg mourning Laura again and not being sure that he actually wanted to be alive.
    A part of him rather be with Laura. :cry:

I like the references to Laura and also to Sid in the past couple of episodes. Knots Landing is a good show that way in that they don't forget about their past.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    I recall the scenes surrounding Paige's temporary paralysis being the first time I ever took notice of Nicollette's acting skills. She'd never really impressed me with her acting prowess, though to be fair the show had never given her anything really meaty to play. This was a relatively brief plot twist and she recovered quickly in that grand, unnatural soap opera tradition, but I recall thinking she acquitted herself quite well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    I never thought Nicollette was a bad actress. I enjoyed the character from the beginning but yeah I guess this plot did give her something to work with.:)

Yeah it is funny how fast she recovered. Typical soap. A character is really sick one day, fine the next! ;)

Also tonight it was "Little Girl Lost"...

which means that we've reached the end of season 13!

So a proper review of the season will follow but first some thoughts on the episode.

First off that cliffhanger with Pierce showing up in Paige's car was not exciting. Somehow I thought Val's accident was the cliffhanger but I must have remembered it wrong.

So now we know that Mary was Laura's birth mom and therefore is Meg's grandmother. Also we thought Greg had handled her but Meg has disappeared and we're supposed to believe that Mary has snatched her.

Greg is sick and tired of the Sumner group so he divides it between Paige, Claudia and Meg. (Karen & Mack)

How can Anne be pregnant?
    I thought Greg wasn't able to have more kids or so he told Paige...:think:

Kate sleeps with Alex. :re:

Val is off to Florida. Damn I wish she had never left. :( It's not gonna be fun revisiting the season when she's kidnapped. *sigh*

Also seems like Gary and Val have been divorced too long since Val is now used to making her own decisions without consulting with Gary and therefore she just up and leave for her business trip without discussing it with him first. He also makes the decision to take a job in Michigan without consulting with her. So there is trouble ahead. I wonder where this plot was going to go originally since writing out Val was obviously a last minute decision or else the accident surely would have been the cliffhanger in this episode...

Now here's my thoughts on season 13:

I loved:

- Gary, Paige and Pierce teaming up for the tidal energy project
    It was nice to see Gary and Paige on the same side all of a sudden. I liked them going up against the Sumner group. I don't like that Gary lost his own money doing that even though it unfortunately fits with the character as he is a gambler and risktaker. It was Abby who had a business sense. Still since Jock's will tied up Gary's inheritance and only gave him the interest I guess he will still get money each year so he's not exactly broke. Still it was sort of weird how he didn't go to his family to save the ranch. I am sure Bobby would have loaned him the money. Or so would JR with interest.

- Gary, Val and the twins living a rather normal family life
    It is nice to see them so happy after everything they've been through.

- Greg remembering Laura
    It was just one episode but him visiting her grave and watching her tape was a nice touch.

- Anne's radio show
    The relationship advice "tell me about it" suits Anne to a T. It's all gossiping.

I liked:

- Anne & Greg
    The pairing worked well together.

- Val writing a book about Sumner
    It is an interesting idea since it creates tension between her and Karen and Mack.

- Benny
    He was a nice guy. He gave Anne a place to stay when nobody else did.

- Julie and Jason's puppy love

It was a cute teenage romance.

- Val helping Lynette to learn how to read
    There was something touching about the plot.

- Claudia and Greg being closer
    It's like they have an actual sibling's relationship now. I like that.

- Victoria

The character is annoying. But I like the fact that Marcia Cross played her and that she had a scene with Nicollette Sheridan, since I love Desperate Housewives.

I disliked:

Brian Johnson
    - Another psycho lover who managed to kill Linda.

Joseph
    - He was ok for Kate. But he made Gary lose his ranch!

Gary losing the ranch
    - This was really sad. I guess they got rid of the place due to budget cuts and also to move Gary and Val back to the cul-de-sac.

Vanessa
    - Seriously can there be a more annoying character?:fp:
    First she just shows up and expects to be staying with Kate without calling and asking if it's okay. Not cool.
    Then she doesn't tell Kate that she's sleeping with Alex. With friends like her you don't need any enemies.

Alex
    -
    He is almost as bad as Vanessa. The two of them deserves each other.
    But yeah unlikable spoiled pretty boy type. :NI: I much prefered Jason over him.

Pierce
    - Another psycho lover this time belonging to Paige.

Over all I think the first half of the season was still good. But the second half really wasn't so this was when the show started to get bad...
    I can tell the end is near. :(

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018 at 11:32 PM
  12. Mustard

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Now that you're in the home straight, don't forget what I said much earlier in this thread. When you finish the whole marathon, go back and watch the first episode of Knots Landing. It puts the years into perspective, and makes you laugh at how things have changed, and how naive Gary and Val were back then.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018 at 1:51 AM