Rewatching Knots Landing

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Karin Schill, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Medals:
    I assume that's why it was called "The Invisible Man". Kevin was there but we didn't see him. ;)

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    Medals:
    The woman has a habit of misrepresenting who she is and how everyone is involved. This will not be the last time they prove she's lying.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    Hmm...Mary is already dead. So what else has she lied about?

I am wondering what they are going to find out when her murder is being investigated. Mack is obviously gonna get off the hook but I don't remember how.

You are right. That could very well be it. Or they are looking for an invisible man who commited the crime that we are yet to see. I guess time will tell.

Tonight it was "The Getaway..."

Claudia manage to save her own skin when Nick comes up with half a million dollars that she can put back into the foundation. So the money is no longer missing.

Nick and Anne share a moment in the wine cellar. They are not over each other but Anne is married to Greg and is not ready to throw in the towel on her marriage just yet. Even though her husband seems to have lost interest in her. She can't have her old job back either and she is completely bored.

Poor Meg hears people yelling at Mack. Who ups and leaves in the middle of the night. Did he take Greg's word of advice and skipped bail? :think:

Tom and Paige share a moment in the elevator. Nothing happened and yet I can sense the electricity in the air between the two of them. They do have chemistry. So much in fact that I think it would be a good idea to hire Joseph Gian to play one of Alexis' old lovers on the new Dynasty! ;)

Well not quite since she did manage to seduce him at the end of tonight's episode and it was completely annoying. :mo:
    They are a total mismatch and Kate has zero respect for Val moving in on her husband this soon after Val's "death". Pushing herself on Gary like that. Also when he said that he felt like he would be cheating on Val I realized that Gary has matured. I mean he did cheat on Val in the past and it never seemed to bother him then. I guess at this point in his life he's realized what he's lost. :(

But yeah him finding out that Mary's brother was behind Val's kidnapping and going back to Florida is interesting and it seems to me like it's a plantation for what's to come.

4. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    Oh so she wasn't even Laura's mother!
    I had completely forgotten about that one. Still to take advantage of her sister's death. Shame on her. I wonder if it was the brother who killed her or if whoever killed the brother also killed "Mary" or whatever her real name was. :think: Oh well at least Mack is off the hook. :)
    Tonight it was "Hints and Evasions"...which was the second episode that Joan directed. She did a good job with it. :clap:But I bet Nicolette wasn't too thrilled to be running down that street take after take. She seemed a bit out of breath in that scene with Paige and Tom. I like that Tom was trying to protect Paige. At least I think that's what he is doing when he didn't tell her what he had found out from Vanessa. Him going to Nick at the end is interesting since we don't really know if Tom is playing dirty and want to win something for himself or if he's in it to protect Paige. Either way it feels like they are building up for something more to happen between Tom and Paige so I am looking forward to see where this goes. :)

Or maybe I don't really since I already know Paige will end up with Greg! :eek:

I like how realization dawned on Claudia that it was Nick's business partners who were behind Kate's accident. I wonder if Kate and Claudia won't be in the next episode due to budget cuts. Only four episodes left to go now and then it's all over except for the mini-series and reunion specials.

Gary can't let go of Val. I like that and I don't feel sorry for Kate at all. She brought this on herself. She never should have pushed herself on Gary like that. It's also the classic conflict he already has kids and she still wants them. So it's never gonna work out. Paige and Greg is the same thing. They are simply at different stages of their lives. :(

Karen is visiting Diana who is getting to know her new half-sister. Somehow I can't say I have missed Diana all that much over the years but it is nice to see Karen visit her.

Vanessa is not whispering in every scene anymore, which is a really good thing as her whispering voice was getting on my nerves.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Medals:
    I never could see that it made much difference. If she really was a blood relative of any kind, why didn't she just go with the truth instead of one variation after another?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    Medals:
    Loretta wouldn't have known the truth if it hit her over the head with an ashtray. :ms:

At this point, it felt like they wrote things with a certain amount of unnecessary complication and rushed revelations. Part of it was a need to keep people guessing, and of course the need to keep people glued to the screen. Mostly, though, I think they had to compress all the twists and turns into nineteen episodes, so what would have unfolded at a more comfortable pace had to be a little more rushed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Medals:
    So the 19 episodes were kind of a last minute call and the writers had already panned out a longer season?

8. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    Medals:
    There was a healthy chance that there would not be a 14th season at all. They had mapped out season-long plot arcs* but I doubt they'd broken the plots down into individual episodes when they negotiated to get a final season. So when the network agreed to renew for a final season and cut the licensing fee so deeply, it was up to the producers to 'do more with less'. If they had stretched it out to 22 episodes, they would have been forced to do a lot more cost-cutting tricks (stars excluded from even more episodes, no location work, etc.) that rarely go unnoticed. I have no way of knowing if the decision to only do 19 episodes was made by the producers or by CBS, but I always assumed it was the producers' call because it was the best way to cut the spending.

*During the whole fiasco with Joan Van Ark's departure to do a pilot/series for another network, the producers claimed they could not simply "write her back in" once she became available again that summer (the pilot was not picked up) because they had already mapped out the season and Val was not part of it. They worked her in at the end, of course, but did not seem willing to rewrite the plot outlines. They also may not have been able to afford to have her any more than two episodes in a guest-star capacity.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  9. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I quite like Gary and Kate as a couple. I don't think being on his own was particularly helpful for Gary at the time, with Bobby and Betsy to look after and properly father.

Spoilers alert but Val never held it against Kate later on, with Val saying that she thought Kate was the best woman for Gary if she herself wasn't around, even though Val wasn't totally thrilled by the resulting daughter Molly that Gary fathered with Kate, which was later revealed to both Gary and Val in 1997. So Kate did get her kid, and was pregnant with another, with Brian Cunningham of all people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    I remember that and I really disliked that they gave Gary and Kate a child. Sorry but I really did. I found it completely unnecessary. :(

In fact if their brief relationship hadn't resulted in a child I probably wouldn't have had as much problem with the two of them together. Then it would just have been like another Greg/Paige relationship sort of. Although I still think that Kate was too pushy whereas Gary was concerned. I would have prefered for them to have remained just friends. She still could have helped out with babysitting the twins without pushing Gary into a relationship he wasn't ready for. I think it's important to leave people time to grieve and like the way they handled Sid's death a lot better where Karen didn't meet Mack until a year later.

Of course Val would be kind to Kate and tell her she was the best woman for Gary after herself. I mean it's not like Val liked Gary's other women like Abby or Jill. Although I think most of the viewers prefered him with Abby next to Val. Or some probably even prefered Abby and Gary over Val and Gary. I know my preference was Gary and Val and then Gary & Abby and Val & Ben.

I agree with @Dalek Avery that it was unfortunate the way they handled Joan's departure. Considering that they didn't know if the show would get a new season or not I can totally understand why she looked for other employment. But it seemed like the writer's held that against her and decided to cut her loose to save on the budget. It was a mistake IMHO since Knots Landing without Val was not the same and she was sorely missing this season. :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Karen had that potential love interest in Season 3 soon after Sid's death, played David Ackroyd (the original Gary Ewing).

12. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    True but he didn't kiss her in the same episode as Sid's funeral and the only point about her potential love interest was to show that she wasn't ready to move on yet. So it's completely different from Gary & Kate. I mean Gary told Kate he was not ready to move on and she wouldn't take no for an answer.

13. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Medals:
    I like Kate, too, and didn't mind her and Gary as a couple if Val was out of the picture. She was really the only loser at the end of the series so I was happy she found her happy ending in the reunion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    So tonight it was "Day of the Assassin"...

So Claudia sells her shares to Greg and she and Kate move into the ranch to keep them safe.

Kate stops working for Gary. He goes to the ranch and they kiss and make up. :NI:

Paige agrees to letting Tom be her bodyguard if Mack goes to New York to patch things up with Karen. So Mack shows up in New York and does all the talking. Karen says nothing. But at least Meg was happy to see him. :)

Paige finally realizes she still has feelings for Tom and they end up kissing but before they can take it any further Vanessa shows up and interrupts them. :mad: So annoying.

Anne has left Greg and is running around with Nick who is beaten up on by Mr. Treadwell who is together with Vanessa. I must say that Vanessa has much overstayed her welcome on the show.

The episode ends with Greg and Paige taking off on a plane with a bomb on it. Vanessa has overheard it and has called Tom who has called the airport but it was too late. The plane already took off! :eck:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    Medals:
    I guess my jaded "soap viewer eyes" never saw Gary/Kate as anything long-term. So often, when soaps have characters who are at loose ends (that is, not involved in a front-burner story), the writers will put them together in a romantic story just to keep them busy (and onscreen). The story (such as it is) typically isn't expected to be anything permanent, just something to do until the writers can come up with something else for them (separately or together). This appeared to me to be that kind of story, since both characters didn't have anything happening, and it seemed to come out of nowhere. Neither character had shown any predilection for that kind of partner--Gary was no cradle-robber prior to this, and Kate had shown to previous interest in older men. So it always looked to me to be a place-holder plotline. I certainly did not feel 'threatened' by it, like it would somehow be The Greatest Love Story Ever Told and people would be asking "Val who?" by the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    Good points. Although there were hints dropped to us earlier. I mean when Val was still around Claudia stirred up shit and said Kate had a crush on Gary. It was probably true even though Gary just laughed it off when Val told him. I think he told Claudia that he was not interested in her daughter and that some day a much younger man would sweep her off her feet. So there was no need to worry. Gary was not interested in Kate.

17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    Okay so tonight it was "Just Like Old Times" Part One...

Hurrah Val is finally back!:danc:
    I love the fact that she was only kidnapped and came back for the end. Sure there are some loop holes in the story as it seemed originally like Mary's brother was behind the kidnapping and had kidnapped her because she was finding out about Mary's secret. But now it turns out he was just hired by Treadwell to do so and supposedly Treadwell works with Abby. :omg:I don't remember this plot twist, but doesn't that in essense mean that Abby was behind Val's kidnapping? :confuse:

Anyway I love it how Val sent Gary the flowers and signed them with "Never seen the ocean", which was a reference only he would understand. :love8:Poor Gary was so shocked when he saw her at that diner and also over come with emotions. I love their reconcilation and how they went to Karen and Mack for help. Seeing the four of them together talking things over I couldn't help but thinking that they are the backbone of the show. I love Karen's reaction to Val being alive too. :love5:I think she might have been even more emotional than Gary.

But yeah I love it that they brought back Val and Abby for the ending. :spinning:

Oh and Tom told Paige that he loved her and that he wanted to marry her. I love the two of them together. But sadly she only replied that she doesn't know if she is in love with him anymore. He did save her and Greg's life at the beginning of the episode though which was good. I remember the first time I watched it this plot had me on tenterhooks.

Oh and Nick works for Abby?! :eck:

I am looking forward to watch the conclusion of this tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    Medals:
    As another nod to it being 'just like old times,' Abby once again found herself with an overzealous employee who did her bidding too well. In this case, the employee was Treadwell, who directed Joe Robeson and his colleagues to take care of the Val Problem. Realistically they would have just killed her rather than continue to hold her captive, since there was no possibility for ransom, and since she was presumed dead already, why continue going to all that trouble keeping her alive? (Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they went to the trouble, but like you said...loopholes).

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Medals:
    I didn't really give it that much thought since I always believed (erroneously as it turns out) that they had left the door open to Val's return.

As you have both said, "loopholes". I think that the idea of putting Abby behind everything must have come late in the writing process.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Yes, but as you say, Val was alive then and Gary was happily married to her. When Val was apparently dead, that situation changes. Kate saw her chance to be with Gary and she was eager to push things forward, while Gary was somewhat in two minds about the whole thing.

• Agree Agree x 1