Rewatching Knots Landing

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Karin Schill, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Season 4 was a lot of fun. The producers understood that after the darkness of season 3, it was time to lighten things up a bit.

The crossover is coming, and I'd argue that it's the best J.R.-on-Knots appearance. Whenever he and Valene appear together in a scene, it's great.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Nah. Bobby had gotten in the way of Pam and Mark enough in Season 7 DVD, without doing it all over again.

While that's all true, let's also remember that Val ended it with Gary. It's in Val's company that Gary feels a security, something that he never gets with Abby. He is worried and scared that he has to stand up for himself now, and that Val might not be there for him if he falls. The paradox is that if Gary is together with Val as husband and wife at that time (Seasons 1-3), he is feeling bored at the routine life and feels patronized.

Yeah, I love it too. I think every setback in Val's life has made her stronger. She looks vulnerable, but is a rock in reality. The events of Season 6 threatened to ruin her more than anything, though.

Pretty sure it's that season, i.e. Season 4.

The Season 4 Knots Landing episode with both J.R. and Bobby was a direct sequel to the Season 6 DVD Dallas episode called "Jock's Will", both originally broadcast on the same evening in the USA.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,653
    That's something she doesn't even realise about herself until later. I used to love the way she would seem on the verge of breaking at the latest onslaught and then visibly draw on some inner reserve and go on to handle it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    Okay so we watched episode "Encounters" tonight.

It's funny as the opening theme was rolling by I was just mentioning the new Lisa Hartman add campaign in Germany and then there was her name on the screen. I was excited to see Ciji make an appearance as I love the music and what Lisa brought to the show. :)

After having watched a couple of minutes of the episode it dawns on me that this is the first episode of the show that I've ever watched. See my dad used to watch the show in the late 1980s and in the early 1990s while rewatching Dallas my sister and I found a tape marked with "JR's bror" so well we watched it. I remember back then when we saw the new baby we wondered whose baby it was since somehow we couldn't picture Gary and Val having more kids after leaving Dallas! I know! :giggle:

Anyway this is a great episode. I love all the Gary and Val drama and how their impending divorce is drawing closer. Especially the final scene in the parking garage has left a lasting impression on me as I can remember it from the first time I saw it as it was so dramatic. You can really feel Val's pain and Gary's desperation. At this point if Val had forgiven him I get the impression that he would go back to her and leave Abby. But of course by the time she turns around and calls out his name it's much too late and he's left already. :(

Also great meddling from Lilimae in arranging that meeting. But why in an abandoned parking garage?

Karen realizing that she has promoted the man who killed Sid to be her Vice-President is great too. She really shouldn't have fired Gary.
    Oh well if memory serves me right she and Mack will catch the bad guys eventually...

Poor Laura she never gets to be a part of the important decisions. Richard just decides over her head to get a restaurant. Oh well after she realizes that it's what he really wants to do she supports him since she wants him to be happy and fulfill himself. She believes in him. It's actually quite touching.

Lisa singing "Open Arms". I think it's what inspired me to make a Val and Gary video to that song. But I think I used the Journey version of it. Gosh it's been so long I can't really remember. I need to watch my own video as I have no memory of which clips I put in it.

Anyway it was another great episode and as usual it leaves me wanting to watch more! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mustard

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +432
    In the long run, it was better for both of them to split there. Gary would have gone back to Val had he known that she was going to give him another chance, but he also wouldn't have grown as a person and would have continued to feel very insecure with life when away from Val's presence, and would avoid pressures and responsibilities etc. Val is Gary's true love, but Abby was just the sort of woman that Gary needed to be with at that time in his life, a more benevolent female version of his brother J.R. who would push him to greater heights in business and family life, whereas Val wanted him to avoid pressures and have an ordinary routine and 9-5 job for fear of him going off the rails. In Val's mind at the time, Abby would push Gary to destruction, but Val was very wrong on that.

It will be a long time before Gary and Val get back together as a proper couple again after the car park, i.e. over 7 years. When you finish watching all episodes of Knots Landing, I'd recommend watching the first episode of Knots Landing again, just to see how incredible young and naive the Gary and Val of 1979 are compared to their 1993 and 1997 counterparts.

Karen likes Gary as a friend, but I'm not sure she ever 100% forgave him for his part in creating the chain of events that ultimately led to Sid's death. Sid gave Gary a job, made him vice president of Knots Landing Motors later on, showed tolerance and understanding after Gary's epic fall off the wagon in "Bottom of the Bottle", and forgave Gary quickly shortly after Gary revealed what he had done. Sid still ended up dead.

Look at how much Laura has changed. In Season 1, especially in the early episodes, Richard was the breadwinner and Laura was a kept woman with the air of an old fashioned vulnerable woman about her. Then things change, as Laura gets into real estate with Scooter and discovers that she has a great talent for it. Laura then gets more and more confident in herself and standing her ground against anyone, while Richard's working life started collapsing. Richard is completely unable to cope with this change of events, a massive attack in his mind on what it means to be a man, as Laura becomes the breadwinner and wears the trousers in the family. The result is Richard's erratic and crazy behaviour, and breakdown. Richard never really reconciled himself to Laura becoming so strong.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    I agree that the time apart did Gary and Val some good. They did develop a lot in the seasons to come. :)

Yeah but they keep sharing moments together in between when you think they might get back together. It's like the writers are teasing the audience with a Gary & Val reunion for years before it actually happens.

Thanks for the recommendation. What you are saying about Gary and Val and how they changed during the show is absolutely true. My sister and I are writing a Dallas fanfic and in it we occasionally have Gary and Val pop up for a visit or some of the Dallas characters like Lucy show up in Knots Landing. Anyway after we've began re-watching Knots Landing we found ourselves struggling with how to write Gary and Val since we thought of them as they were in the early seasons of Knots and yet we knew that's not how they were supposed to be in our story which is set in 1995. So it was quite a challenge trying to find the characters they grew into.

Because they they both changed a lot and Val definitely outgrew her accent and pig-tails! ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    So it was "Svengali" tonight.

Chip showed up. It feels strange seeing him appear and knowing where his story is going to end up...

He sucks up to Val immediately and makes her feel dependant upon him. Lilimae is totally lapping it up.
    I had a laugh when they went to the TV studio and Lilimae pretended to be Elizabeth Taylor!
    It made me think of how Julie Harris actually had something in common with Elizabeth Taylor. Can anyone guess what I'm thinking of and what the connection was?

Karen is totally angry with Abby and blames her for breaking up Val and Gary. I can see why Diana isn't though, I mean Abby is her aunt so it makes sense for her to still like her.

Richard's restaurant is almost ready for it's grand opening. Wow! That went fast...

Karen and Mack's courtship is not moving fast though. I like that they are taking things slow so far. It gives their relationship time to develop and grow.

Lisa as Ciji belts out a song "Hole in My Heart" from her album "Letterrock". I think I actually heard that song earlier today, as I was listening to music on my phone. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mustard

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I find myself loving the close friendship between Chip and Lilimae, even though we viewers know that it's based on a lie. Lilimae treated Chip almost like a son at times, which also makes sense in terms of a future storyline from Season 6. Ciji is great as well, really bringing fresh life to Knots Landing with her singing, friendliness and feistyness.

With these events, Gary coming into money through Jock's Will, Mack's arrival, and the bigger budget, Season 4 feels like a brand new era for Knots Landing, yet Richard, Kenny and Ginger are still there, so there's still the link with the beginning at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,653
    I'm not sure if that's great foreshadowing or if the season 6 story is a clever callback. Somehow I think it's just a repetitive plotline with a lucky payoff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    Whatever it was it makes sense considering what's to come with Joshua. So it takes great writing to make the pieces fit like that and to remember plots you've had years earlier. :)

Tonight...

Karen finally managed to bring down the bad guys who were responsible for Sid's death. The way this plot reached it's conclusion felt gratifying in a way. The bad guys were caught and would get their punishment. Yet I felt a bit empty like Karen seemed to do. Because although it's great they got caught nothing can bring Sid back and it makes the whole thing sad and the victory really hallow.

Gary got a wire from Bobby. So I guess it's time to go to Dallas for the reading of the will soon...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    In Tonight's episode:

Gary finally came into his inheritance and realized his father was dead. Val was also in town but didn't realize Gary and Abby were there until they ran into each other at the very end. Awkward!

The Dallas fan in me love that so much of the plot was set in Dallas and that both Bobby and JR did guest spots. It was great to see Gary interact with both of his brothers in the same episode. Just too bad that this was the last crossover if memory serves me right.

Also too bad they couldn't get BBG to show up as Miss Ellie. I would have loved for Miss Ellie to actually have met Abby. Somehow I doubt she would have approved! :giggle:

Funny too how JR had bought up Val's publishing company. Of course he wants to cash in on her success!

Meanwhile in Knots Landing Chip totally cons Lilimae and moves into their home. He also starts flirting with Diana.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +137
    The other scene I love in that episode is when J.R. shows up at Valene’s book signing.

“Haven’t you got a kiss for your favorite brother-in-law?”

“You are disgusting!”, she hisses.

Those two are a riot any time they have a scene together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    I agree, it's too bad Larry died before JR and Val could have scenes together on the new Dallas. Somehow Val and Sue Ellen having a scene where they are all at each other's throats really didn't fit at all...

Speaking of where the characters are now. I know in Dallas TNT they had Gary lose everything and go off on a drunken bender again...I hated that. Anyway somehow I could imagine Gary and Val buying back the ranch they lost after Gary got his inheritance from his mother...

That's a bit off topic but still..

Tonight's episode was "Investments":

Karen & Mack went camping. It was just as hilarious as I remember it to be. :lolo:
    Then they eventually took their relationship to the next level.

Gary decided to invest in a record company with Kenny so Ciji could be produced. But he forgot to tell Abby about it. Seems like they fail to communicate at times. The fact that she didn't want the ranch Gary wanted to buy also shows how different they are.

Diana got Chip a better car and he met Ciji. The triangle is all set up now.

14. Mustard

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +432
    That Knots Landing episode is a direct sequel to the Dallas episode called "Jock's Will".

It's the last crossover with Dallas characters appearing on Knots Landing, yes. Storylines still cross over into Season 7 of Knots Landing, when Gary went to Bobby's funeral and with subsequent events in that regard at Empire Valley, Val's naming of their son etc.

I can imagine Abby being all polite to Gary's mother with her tongue in cheek, and Miss Ellie not approving of Abby compared to Val. I think Miss Ellie and Abby would be okay, though. Lucy wouldn't like Abby at all, and would see her as another J.R. type.

Typical J.R. Great scenes with him and Val, with Val's loathing of J.R. and J.R.'s mixture of admiration for Val's resilience and success, while goading her about Gary having found himself someone else and the fact that he (J.R.) is going to profit from Val's success as an author.

It did seem a bit out of character, as his older self on Knots Landing seemed more able to deal with his weaknesses compared to before. Still, Gary mortgaged away Westfork in Season 13 to fund his dream of providing clean Tidal Energy, so the old addictions are there. Addicts are addicts for life. Addicts are never cured, and being on the wagon is a struggle to stay there and not full off. Regarding alcohol, he was usually pretty good at staying in the right state of mind there, because he's a non-functioning alcoholic who quickly hits rock bottom if he's drinking. This is in contrast to functioning alcoholics who will drink a lot at home and in their leisure time, yet keep their discipline to go to work and do their job sober.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    True about addicts. We just watched "The Morning After" tonight and in that episode Gary is once again battling his demons with alcohol. Laura, Karen and Val all know that it's pointless to try to stop him from drinking and Laura tries to tell Ciji that.

Abby comes across as very greedy in this episode as she's only out to protect herself and her business interests. In some scenes it seems like Gary is nothing but a meal ticket to her. Someone who is rich and it's easy to think she's only interested in him because of his money. Yet in other scenes there's more to them than that. Like the scene where she's waiting up for him. She's angry that he's doing that to her, since she's Abby and she doesn't take bullshit from people. So she won't put up with his bad behaviour like Val did. She won't just forgive him. She will get even and take out her revenge if he lets her down. Yet in this particular scene her vulnerability shows and when Olivia comes to see her it's obvious that she needs comforting as much as her child does. Olivia speaks the same fears she has about Gary. Deep down Abby is afraid to lose Gary too.

Meanwhile Richard comes to the wrong conclusions about Laura and Ciji. I think it's funny how he thinks they were having an affair. It's not the conclusion most people would jump to, especially not in the 1980s when lesbian relationships were still a bit of taboo. I know some people on here would like to think they were lesbian lovers but I honestly don't see their relationship as anything but a friendship.

Poor Val is still hung up on Gary and goes to the slammer to bail him out even though she doesn't have to as Abby has already beaten her to it. Abby and Val have words in a brilliant scene where Val admits that she loved Gary and that she's hurting and how she hopes Abby will hurt too when Gary leaves her for someone else. In this exchange both women manage to somehow go for the other ones weaknesses and it works as they are both emotionally tied to Gary. Somehow the Abby-Gary-Val triangle still works and keeps me intrigued. It's so obvious that Val isn't over Gary and in the final scene of the episode she also admits that to Mack. I love her confession: "He's a weakness. Gary is to me what alcohol is to him. I don't know why we all find it so appaling in him but not so in me. We are the same Gary and I."

That piece of dialogue totally inspired me to make a Gary & Val fan music video many years ago:

The concept is that Val can't kick the habit of loving Gary even though he causes her pain.

Anyway we're getting slightly off topic here. But yeah "The Morning After" was a great dramatic episode. :)

Also I have to say a few words about "Abby's Choice", which was the first episode we watched after we got back from our vacation. :)
    I love that episode as it shows a softer side of Abby and it makes her more likable in the process. Despite the fact that she wrecked Gary and Val's marriage there's something about her that make you love her. She's only human. Her fear of the surgery and of dying like her brother Sid did touches on something very real. I can understand her POV and it's great how her love for Diana overwins her fears and makes her agree to do the surgery. It's the unselfish thing to do and even Val tells Olivia that "right now your mom is a hero and you should be proud of her and that you belong to her". Aww! Such a sweet moment.

The scene at the end where Karen simply kisses Abby on her forehead is also very telling. It shows that in some ways Karen loves Abby, since despite their differences Abby is still family. But yeah the women's relationship is complicated since there are times when they don't like each other at all too.

Gary is all upset about Abby's surgery too. Nice contrast with Chip and Diana where they tell each other that they love each other. Abby needs to hear it too but doesn't want to beg for him to say it. So she says "Don't say it now, it would be corny."

Oh and Val noticing Gary's reaction while Abby is in surgery. She finally has to admit to herself that Gary do care for Abby. It's not just an affair. He has real feelings for the other woman.

Then finally some words about "To have and to hold" too.
    I mean how cheesy isn't Mack and Karen's wedding?
    But it's meant to be funny. The whole thing is playing for laughs really and yet there's something cute about it as Karen and Mack shares a moment that's just theirs. But yeah Las Vegas, the priest who comes with the golf club, the couple getting married for the third time and the paying extra for someone to throw rice and play music. *roll eyes* It's as cheesy as it can get!
    Good thing for Karen it's her second time around. Maybe the first time she had a real wedding?
    Poor Mack wanted a chuch wedding. Oh well maybe a wedding chapel in Vegas beats a restaurant wedding... :rolling:

Okay that's all for now...

• Like Like x 3
  16. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    Okay so tonight it was "Celebration". It seems like they were trying to create their own murder mystery story at the end of the season in a "Who Shot JR" kind of plot where several characters are given motifs or at least opportunity to have committed the crime. Only difference was that while JR lived, Ciji died... :(

I remember the first time I watched the show I was upset that they killed off Ciji as I really enjoyed what Lisa Hartman brought to the show and I loved her music. Also Ciji was likable, so I was sad to see the character being murdered. The moment the episode began with Ciji out biking and the soundtrack playing in the background "New Romance" I knew that this was the episode where she'll end up dead. :(

I just remembered it instantly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    Okay so tonight it was "Willing Victims" which was the season finale. The show keeps playing on the Abby-Gary-Val drama. Gary is in jail, Val wants to shake him up so that he will defend himself and get out of there. She loves him and she is convinced he is innocent. Meanwhile Abby wants to keep him in jail and plots to fire his lawyer that can get him out. The two women and their different motifs are put in contrast to each other. It's not a coincidence that the episode closes with shots of the three of them all alone in different places.

Diana also runs off with Chip just as Karen realize that Chip is really Tony and that he's a bad guy wanted for assault. Oops!
    I know we are supposed to think this is an exciting cliffhanger but the Diana and Tony plot leaves me rather indifferent. I guess it's because I have seen it all before and remembers how it ends. I originally liked Diana and identified with her when I first watched the show. But this time around I mostly find her annoying and I think her story with Tony plays a big part in this as at this point of the show I find her mostly foolish. :rolleyes:

Also this particular episode was directed by David Jacobs I couldn't help but noticing in the credits. He did a good job with it as far as I can tell.:hat:

This episode also marks the last appearance of Ginger and Kenny just as the last episode was Richard Avery's swan song. I must say that Richard's leaving came out of nowhere. Did anyone know if John Pleshette choose not to renew his contract at the last minute or something?

His departure all seems very sudden. Like for instance in one episode Richard is trying to comfort Laura after Ciji's death and wants their marriage to work. In the next he's just fixing up a bunch of loose ends and leaves. It seems a bit strange how he left without a word to Laura and I can't help but wondering why he was written out like that?

It didn't really make any sense. :confused:

Anyway back to Ginger and Kenny. In their last scene we see them happily together while a version of the Knots Landing theme is playing in the background. I don't think it can get more cheesey than this. :p
    Also they never got proper goodbyes scenes with Karen or Val or even Gary. I guess it's because those three characters are so wrapped up in their own drama at this point. But still Kenny and Ginger were supposedly their friends and yet their departure is low-key and they just fade out in the background. But then again they have been sidelined on the show for a long time now. So I guess it fits with the characters as it seemed like the writers ran out of plots for them. I mean they rarely seemed to have any interesting plots like the other characters did. But maybe it's because some of the other cast members are better actors that the writers gave them more to do?

Oh well at least Ginger & Kenny are getting a happy ending, which is good. :)
    But I'm still a bit sad to see them go and even more sad to see Richard go since I liked him and Laura together. In fact I liked all of the original characters and couples on the show. So now when James Houghton, Kim Lankford and John Pleshette are leaving I can't help but feel like the show will never be the same again. :(

Finally I just also want to say that a part of me thinks that "Celebration" would have made a better season cliffhanger than "Willing Victims". But oh well the show has enough going for it to keep people interested. It's a good thing I don't have to wait a whole summer to watch more though as I'm so hooked on this show.

Bring on season five!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,653
    Low-key but one of the more moving cliffhangers.
    The way the show was screened here with much of the first five seasons run without a break, I didn't realise they were actually leaving. When season five started the following week, seeing the new credits and realising they were really gone was quite a surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    I literally never read Ciji and Laura's relationship as anything else but platonic - on the other hand I had a lesbian friend who moved in with her girlfriend and I thought they were platonic. Then she painted out a map of their apartment and I noted there was only one bed. She said "Well, it's to save space". I said "Oh, makes sense". So maybe I don't read signals very well.

ANYWAY. Ginger and what's-his-face were non-characters at this point. So I find it hard to care. Richard was a huge blow, but they found a good "replacement".

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,448
    I don't think I realized they would be leaving for good either at first. Especially not since TV3 kept the Ginger & Kenny still image every time there was a commercial break. So although they weren't in the episode anymore the still of them always showed up every time it was commercial break. :lol:

Definitely, so who would you say is Richard's "replacement"?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who interpreted Ciji and Laura's relationship as nothing more than a friendship. :)
    Sort of funny about your friend and her girlfriend though. I guess that's a classic example of that we only see what we want to see/expect to see...

• Like Like x 1