Rewatching Knots Landing

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Karin Schill, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,621
    It's like the writers had a stack of afterschool-special topics written on index cards and picked one out of a hat!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    True, but it's also very early 90s - it's topical and crap like that which was popular back then. Worth noting is that Beverly Hills, 90210 was already starting to become a break out hit for Fox alongside this season and you can almost see the influence of it. Season 12 felt very much like a throwback season, with Danny Waleska being very much Jill pt II.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Danny was to Val what Jill was to Gary, i.e. a psycho partner. Danny was to Gary what Jill was to Val, i.e. tried to murder them and make it look like a suicide, because of jealously regarding Gary/Val.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,842
    To me it felt like a throw-up season. Every soap had its highs and lows, and this was Knots' low. There was not much to enjoy, not even Danny Waleska and I loved him in season 11.
    The tidal wave energy reminded me of Gary's methanol cars project, which also miserably failed, but that's part of the fun. Season 13 had a strong start, too bad it became so snooze-y in the second half.
    They should have combined it with the best of season 14, a finale 30 eps season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    I think for me I just end up comparing Knots' worst to other long-running prime time soaps (Dallas, Falcon, Dynasty, Melrose, BH90210) lows and then nothing seems too overly terrible. Personally, I enjoyed the fact that Anne came back and Claudia is a somewhat decent "soaps on decline" type of character.

6. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,842
    And how they ruined that rivalry with those awful, frivolous thought-bubbles.

7. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    It's not something that I had wished for ahead of time but I do think that the idea of Val mentoring someone like her younger self had unrealised potential - much like Karen being challenged by the original characterisation of Linda.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    As a one-time gag it would've been fine but why on earth did they keep doing it? It was just weird and felt very daytime soap-ish.

9. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,621
    It could have been worse. They could have made it "contagious" and have all the characters doing it. Keeping them confined to Claudia/Anne (and occasionally Nick) gave them a sort of "signature" behavior.

The Lechowicks had obviously decided they didn't like writing for Valene, but unlike the situation with Constance McCashin (where they marginalized Laura to a point that they could write her out), they had to provide front-burner material for JvA due to her vociferous fan base. So they gave her out-of-character stuff like falling for Danny Waleska and that dreadful brain virus story, testing the limits of how much drivel Val fans could take. Perhaps they hoped JvA would quit in frustration? I don't know about that, but as they went into season 13 it seemed JvA would finally get out of the storyline purgatory the Lechowicks had her in. Unfortunately the new regime didn't seem to want her back in the mix either, because the Lynette story had her doing most of her scenes with a newbie no one really knew or cared about. JvA was placed in a C-level story basically by herself, one that had a predictable nature to it from the beginning, and living out on the ranch, isolated from the MacKenzies and others. They seemed more interested in having Gary with Paige (!!) than basking in the glow of a Gary/Val reunion that everyone had wanted for a decade.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,778
    Great discussion everyone!
    Unfortunately it reminds me of all the bad stuff that is coming up ahead. :(

You are so right that they have started to give Val less stuff to do and we keep missing her when she is being sidelined. The Danny plot was just stupid and I think they delayed Val & Gary's reunion too long on the show. It should have happened this season with Ben out of the picture but instead they just teased us with that temporary thing and then used Jill to ruin things between Val & Gary. It was annoying.

Okay so now on to some thoughts about "Bouncing Babies" & "A Fair Race".

Karen used to be one of my favorite characters on the show but lately her "know it all" attitude and self-righteousness has started to get on my nerves. I mean she tells Greg he won't be a good enough father to Meg so that he gives Meg to Karen & Mack to raise as their own daughter. That was not fair. Greg has just lost his wife and their daughter is all he has left of Laura and Karen just took the little girl from Greg. She didn't give him a chance to be a father. The part at the end when he's burning the "Tara" playhouse is just heartbreaking. I felt so sad for Greg here. :(

Also how Karen and Mack hires the same nanny as Greg had hired to care for their child is really bad. What's the difference if Greg raises her with a nanny or if they do?

Val and Gary finally solves their custody suit and comes to some sort of truce where she lets him see the kids again. I am glad that they did. Jill is not happy though when Gary brings the kids and Val there when she wanted to surprise Gary in sexy lingerie. Val gives Jill the fisheye. She clearly doesn't approve.

Paige keeps persuing Greg and doesn't care that Johnny really likes her.

Gary quits Lotus Points and becomes a silent partner.

Olivia meets Harold and then Abby and Karen are caught up in the shady business that Charles tried to set them up for.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    Paige, relieved that she can feel her legs, now sits in a wheelchair with her legs spread as far apart as possible, flexing them.

Way to be subtle, show.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    I felt this was so ridiculous - Laura was barely in the ground at that point and Greg was obviously trying and adjusting. Add that Laura had deprived him of her last moments and then Karen comes in and wants to take his child? It would've made more sense for Greg to realise that he wasn't ever going to be a father figure and made it his decision instead of self-righteous Karen's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    OK, why did they kill off Linda?

She's far from my favourite character, but her murder felt really out of character for Knots and then they eventually go and introduce Vanessa, who is essentially Linda pt II only played by a mediocre actress?

14. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,621
    Polite suggestion:
    Perhaps you could start another thread to discuss the period of Knots that you are watching (s13), rather than creating this sort of parallel world (referred to as "thread hijacking") with Karin's discussion of season nine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,778
    Thanks for the comments. Okay so tonight it was "The Perfect Crime"...

The episode tried to build suspense with Jill threatening Val but since I already knew that Val was going to survive it didn't feel that interesting in the rewatch. But brilliant acting of Joan van Ark as usual and Teri Austin played Jill going psycho in a convincing way too. :hat:

I loved how Abby and Gary tried to get rid of Manny from the Marina of Lotus Point by filling up all the spots he had a contract on in the marina. Just too bad that Michael and Paige were in Mexico, otherwise their scheme might have worked.

Then since this episode marked the end of season nine here's some thoughts of the season:

I loved:

- Val and Gary growing closer.
    They should have been properly reconciled this season. Or at the very least in the next. It feels like they dragged out on their reconcilation too long when it's painfully obvious that they belonged together. But yeah I loved the scenes with the kids and how they had a fling.

- Who will take care of Meg?
    It was great the way Karen and Mack looked after the girl and got so attached to her that they wanted to raise her and at the same time Greg was having a hard time and yet he really loved his daughter and wanted to be there for her. I think Greg giving up his rights to be a father to her was probably the most unselfish thing he's ever done and it was unfair of Karen to even ask him to do that.

I liked:

- Lilimae getting a love interest
    They were cute to watch somehow.

- The William's
    I really liked Pat, Frank and Julie. They were the good guys and of course Mack and Karen couldn't give it a rest until the knew their secret.

- Paige and Johnny.
    They were the same kind in a way as they were both husslers. So they deserved each other and made for a good pairing.

I disliked:

- The digging up artifacts plot in Mexico.
    It was so slow to watch. I thought it would never end.

- Jill going psycho.
    When she was first introduced on the show she seemed to be the more moral one out of her and Peter. The big sister who was looking out for her little brother and tried to keep him in check. She was a capable career woman. Now she's lost her brother and it has thrown her so she's gone completely mad this season. I liked when she hit Paige with her purse that included Peter's ashes but that's all. Except for that Jill got so clingy this season and jealous and bleh. :(

- Laura dying
    I wanted her to stay on the show. I was so sad to see her go.

- Lilimae's departure
    She left in a nice way but I really wanted her to stay. I was sad to see Lilimae leave the show as it was a huge loss to the show and I miss her already.

Best plot of the season:
    Laura's departure.
    I hated that she left the show but her death was heartbreaking and the strongest episodes of the season were the ones that dealt with the grief as it was very raw. Also the episode when she prepared to die was so incredibly sad too. Also I loved how they highlighted something as trivial such as getting a pizza. It doesn't matter if you get fat if you are dying. That kind of logic. It touched a nerve I think. It was also great to see Richard return even if it was just for an episode or two.

That's all for season nine.

• Like Like x 3
  16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Even if they are MODs (made on demand)?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,778
    @bmasters9 Oh yeah absolutely. I don't mind if the Knots Landing DVD's are a bit more expensive because they are made on demand. What's important is that they release more seasons!
    I think most fans on here would agree with me on this. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Right on-- no matter the method, we need more seasons than just the first two!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,778
    Absolutely!

So well tonight it was "A Fine Romance"...

The scene from this episode that has made the biggest impression on me was that game of croquet. I remembered it from the first time I watched it. Not because I found it sexy or anything. :giggle:

Also this episode is big on Greg & Paige romance. The fact that he removes Laura's photo and painting shows that he does love Paige. In fact he tells her as much before she leaves to attend her grandfather's funeral. I remember the first time I watched this episode I was sure he was going to propose to Paige. So it sure was a plot twist when he proposed to Abby in the end of the episode. But I loved it. Donna Mills expression is also priceless! :rlol:

Poor Val is having nightmares about Gary turning against her and siding with Jill. She is having a hard time with that Gary doesn't believe her. Personally I find the Jill plot a bit tedious since since we all know that Val is right and are just waiting for the rest of them to realize it too! :(

Finally Gary told Jill that it was over again. But she keeps stalling with moving out and are writing their wedding invitations instead. She is clearly not taking the memo that it's over.

Karen is packing up Lotus Point things. I find it rather sad that the time when she, Gary and Abby worked there are coming to an end as I enjoyed it.

Harold pines after Olivia and doesn't get that Abby has set him up with the drugs.

Johnny implies to Paige that he loves her. But she is hung up on Greg and rubs in his face that she is not frustrated anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    Greg and Paige just makes me sick.

Greg can go with Laura... or Abby. But Paige? Nah. Doesn't and will never work for me. It's gross.

• Agree Agree x 1