1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ricky Gervais' monologue for The Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,204
    Hollywood doesn't like the fact that his jokes aren't woke enough, and then he hosts the Globes and out-wokes everyone there.... and they don't seem to know how to handle it:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,765
    The video wont play for me, i didnt see any of it - but i rather like Ricky Gervais and his take the P attitude of celebs, luvvies and fame!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I'm not a fan of awards shows. There's too much political lecturing by a bunch of self-important hypocrites, imho. I read what he said, and I think he was totally on target. Ultimately, if it brings ratings yo the show and celebs get to be in the spotlight as a result, Hollywood will be happy, no matter how they react openly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,204
    I'm a solid leftist, but whenever I see Patricia Arquette head for the stage I begin to palpitate and spasm slightly. In a bad way.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 4
  5. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,118
    Yeah this one doesn't work this side of the pond. Here's the full monologue:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,118
    He's got balls doesn't he? I'm amazed they do keep inviting him back actually, someone who so brazenly and effectively cuts through bullshit smack bang in the middle of an industry that thrives on it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,592
    I loved his Apple/Amazon/Disney joke with ISIS-TV. :lol: True, most of them there knows nothing about the real world and should stop the pretence. Stop pretending you really care. Just choose one or two topics that you actually care about and stop trying to win points by addressing current events. And unless you actually provide help yourself to said cause, don't pretend that mentioning it on TV or social media once is enough.

So yeah, accept the award, say something clever or funny, thank the people you worked with and get off the stage.

And don't do a Quentin Tarantino where you take all credit yourself and refuse to thank anyone as though a movie project is a one-person job. What an a-hole!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,662
    I watched the whole thing and I´d never seen more scantily clad cleavage in my life... I thought they were going to censor some shots of the ladies but instead, they bleeped off 50% of the speeches...

9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    Ding ding ding...we have a winner. No more calls, please.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,204
    That appears to be Meryl Streep -- and it's an inappropriate choice. Because Streep has, in the last couple of years, come out and admitted that "I'm not a feminist" and "there is toxic femininity, too," both of which are rather gutsy, un-woke positions to take in today's media culture -- and she got plenty of push-back for it. If she wasn't the de facto queen of Hollywood, she might have suffered career damage for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    So, IOW, according to the woke, there is no such thing as toxic femininity, only toxic masculinity? That would seemingly be like Fox "News" saying that they're fair and balanced, when they're as much to the right, as they claim everyone else is to the left!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,691
    Agreed. When Jennifer Aniston informed the world Australia was on fire due to climate change I hit mute on the remote. I suspect Leonardo DiCaprio - wherever he was - stood and applauded her speech. Then swiftly made a call to his pilot and asked to have the private jet ready to take him and a selection of his harem to some exotic island.

Why do we allow these privileged idiots to chastise us mere mortals when the likes of Jennifer has burned more fossils fuels in her short 50 years then I will have in 5 lifetimes?

So I decided some time ago to do my bit for the environment by no longer driving to the cinema to see the latest offering from Hollywood. Imagine if the rest of the world followed my principle.

• Like Like x 3
  13. bmasters9

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    I'll never get why, when someone is recognized with an award for something they did, they can't just get up there, accept it, thank the entities involved for helping 'em get that far and get that award, and then clear out-- I mean, when Michael Douglas was recognized with that Cecil B. DeMille award at the 2004 Globes, from what I recall, most of it was about his career in films and television, how Karl Malden was an influence on it (and him) w/The Streets of San Francisco, etc.; I didn't detect a single political note anywhere!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,204
    As an ascot-encircled lefty, I don't necessarily mind the occasional topical speech during an award show (and what would we do without Vanessa Redgrave chiming in about Zionist oppression and influence, met with shouts and boos, at the Oscar here-and-there?). Sometimes it's just good TV.

But the kind of finger-pointing (even at other lefties who don't pass the ideological purity test which even the purveyors can't pass either) going on nowadays is vile and regressive and helps no oppressed group, nor is it intended to. It's designed to get everybody to walk on eggshells for its own sake.

I've said before, if the political right had fashioned some kind of intelligence black op to infiltrate with moles the political left to make it stupid (and therefore bring it down), they couldn't have done a better job.

That's a conspiracy theory I like, but I suspect the threat is home grown... Some on the left really fight for justice and fairness, while others on the left simply like to fight -- weaponizing topics accordingly, for purposes of eternal virtue-signaling.

Leftists are not all the same, just as all conservatives are not nazis.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. bmasters9

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    A quite infamous example being Oprah on the rollout of #MeToo (IINM), when she said, "A new day is on the horizon!" What kind of "new day" could she have meant?

16. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,204
    Some are far worse than Queen Oprah, a curiously innocent personality... TeenVogue did an op-ed piece a year or two ago saying innocent men being taken down with false allegations was just fine because it was necessary to more quickly overthrow the patriarchy, while that acting empress of good mental health Rose McGowan called it "pay back".

Oh, really? Women who've been genuinely victimized or violated are helped by destroying innocent men who never raped or sexually-harassed anybody?? Apparently so.

There is also an activist argument now that the truth is "a tool of the patriarchy."

That's just fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,765
    100% agree with you, half of them are so far removed from the "real world" they dont have a clue

And i cant stand the George and Amal Clooneys et al of the world pontificating to us when his suit and her dress could keep some African villages going for months and i dont think we will ever see them queing at an airport check in to board an Economy flight

They all smack of hypocracy in their smug little bubble,

18. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,204
    Although at least I think George does educate himself on the topics of which he speaks. So many of them do not.

19. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,592
    I don't necessarily think it's bad that some people are ultra rich - on one condition: that they spend a lot of their money. After all, if there was no one buying anything, society would collapse really fast. We need people producing and people buying. So if they keep on buying really expensive clothes, cars, houses etc, they contribute to society by giving people jobs.

Rich people who do not spend lots of money are far worse. They get huge interests from the bank, who in turn take money from the poor people who need to borrow money from the bank and pay big interest for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    "The truth os a tool of the patriarchy"????
    This is an ecample of the move into pute insanity. Maybe the real goal is to destroy truth. When that happens, society is gone.
    The majority of people don't want any innocent person to be victimized. These extremists who are highjacking the narrative are harming everyone and helping no one. It's tragic.
    Celebrities need to be taken down a few pegs(along with self-serving career politicians who come out of their career much wealthier than when they started), imho.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1