Rita and Alexis

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,561
    One of the many weird things about the Rita storyline, is how Alexis was claiming that she was now seeing "the real Krystle" and that she "never fooled her." This coming from the woman who fired a riffle when Krystle was horseback riding. All these years we saw Alexis thinking Krystle did not belong and was not good enough for Blake or be step-mother to her children because she was an ex-stenographer who was overreaching. But she never, until Rita appeared, had claimed to anyone, Krystle included, that she was a vicious person who was harming little children of all things.

By the way, unlike Alexis' hollow "One day you will realize the woman Krystle is" to Blake in that scene, a similar warning was issued by Sable to Jason about Frankie the following year on THE COLBYS, and it came true in the most dramatic way.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    Oh, I think Alexis just assumed a commoner/ex-stenographer must be capable of any sort of vulgar brutality.

Alexis' own brutality, naturally, came from a higher-brow place.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Medals:
    Alexis was always a crazy, hypocritical bitch who'd pounce on any flaw in anyone she didn't like. So its not too big a stretch for me... although I still see your point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    Maybe I'm overrating the show's level of complexity, but personally I found the way Alexis perceived Krystle and the way she treated Krystle weren't always logically linked.
    I don't really consider that a flaw, maybe Alexis tried to hurt Krystle with whatever ammunition was available at a particular time.
    And as the show progressed it became more about bitchiness for the heck of it, rather than attacks based on real motivations. An unfortunate side effect was that it diminished Alexis' villainy.

Going back to the roots of this fascinating feud, I think the most important reasons why Alexis hated Krystle were:

1. she (Krystle) had the nerve to replace her (Alexis) as the Mrs. Blake Carrington, and become the mistress of "her" house.
    Krystle's background had little to do with it, if anything I thought it was Fallon who painted Krystle (and later Sammy Jo) as gold diggers who had no place in the Carrington world.
    And of course Fallon did not want to share Blake's love with another woman.

2. She couldn't stand the idea that Blake found new happiness with another woman as he only deserved to suffer (and considering their divorce from hell I found it one of the most plausible motivations, although - as stated above - those explanations may only exist in my head. **I'm not stating any of this as a fact**)

3. Krystle didn't fight back in the way she (may) had anticipated. Krystle was not ashamed of her upbringing or her career as an ex-secretary.
    Krystle often had the upperhand by responding to Alexis' attacks in a graceful and sometimes humorous way (save the occasional physical outburst) which infuriated Alexis because that was not the result she had hoped for.

And sometimes I found it hard to figure out if Alexis' attacks/insults were based on stupidity and ignorance (was it really possible to believe that Krystle was such a horrible person?) or that she did it to sidetrack her because there was something more serious going on, meaning that she (Alexis) did not want to be taken seriously, hoping that because of that she'd get away with it (whatever it was she had done).
    Sometimes the best way to manipulate the opponent is to make him/her believe that they are stronger and smarter than you because they wouldn't expect serious harm or damage coming from a "silly person".

But like I said before it probably didn't go that deep, and I guess it was just a matter of randomness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,915
    I think she was just trying to discredit Krystle with, as Willie says, "whatever ammunition was available", not because she had literally always believed her to be a child abuser. Broadly speaking, Alexis had always maintained that Krystle's saintly facade was a fake and now, as far as she was concerned, she had finally been proved right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    Yes, another key example of how campiness hurt the show. You can't take Alexis' sociopathy seriously when everyone else acts just as whack,

Also, I suspect Alexis would have resented Krystle even if the latter had never married the ex-husband of the former. Because Krystle had an innate elegance and class despite being raised in poverty, while Alexis was always a crass dilettante despite being raised next door to privilege. And Alexis was bright enough to recognize that schism but not bright enough to handle her own insecurity about it without endlessly projecting her own sins and malice onto the younger woman..

Just like Joan and Linda.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    Because, Alexis being Alexis, she couldn't believe or accept the idea that anyone could be so saintly, least of all her nemesis.

But maybe Alexis was shrewd, rather than intelligent. Because if she was intelligent she should have known that Krystle actually was a saintly person, which I believe was one of the reasons why she hated Krystle so much, at least in the first seasons.

Therefore, in that particular scene, it shouldn't confirm Alexis' perception of Krystle - it should surprise her, and even make her suspicious of "Krystle's" behaviour.
    But that could jeopardize the progress of the storyline because no-one was supposed to find out what was going on.
    Something similar happened in The Roadhouse episode when Alexis was eager to ignore the signs and considered Krystle's strange behaviour as guilt.
    This was purely plot-driven because Alexis should have known that Krystle wouldn't cheat on Blake.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    Funny, but there are any number of fans who must think the same way as Alexis and Sammy Jo, and they can't stand Krystle and see her as a fake, too --- and not because of the show's downward spiral in characterization, because such people actually have no problem with "fakey nice" because they understand it. It's real niceness they resent and therefore accuse of being "fake."

I ran across a YouTube video of a DYNASTY scene the other day where one commenter sniped, "Krystle always thought she was better than everybody else," and I shot back, "No, you think Krystle's better than you --- and you're probably right."

I'm sure it straightened her out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    And all that's just another reason I wanted Krystle to develop psychic powers after the limo accident -- and played absolutely straight: not only would it give Linda something to do between getting out of the attic at Delta Rho and finding Roger Grimes' body at … where was it --- Delta Rho?? It would also drive Alexis to distraction trying to decide between making fun of Krystle as her clairvoyance goes public, or resenting Krystle's clarity at intuiting everything Alexis was thinking and doing.

"Are you thinking about me, Krystle?
    "Sort of -- my cup of tea leaves say you're a bitch."
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,915
    I think I think this:

more than I think this:

If one isn't blissfully happy oneself, which most people (probably) aren't, then maybe it's easier, and more comforting, to believe that no-one else really is either and that, sooner or later, everyone cheats on everyone else. Which kind of makes Alexis more relatably human.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    Yes, but I don't think that accusation is based on the idea that they actually believe that the nice person is fake.

Evil doesn't want to destroy Good because it thinks Evil is better than Good (and therefore deserves to reign), it's because it knows that Good is better than Evil.
    I agree, it was a soap after all, not the bible. And to see one's nemesis fail, regardless of the "why", could be seen as an unexpected victory.
    Still, the whole thing with the cigarettes and "I want to talk to you too!" (oh, really? Krystle wants to talk to Alexis?) were intentionally ignored to secure the plotline.

Having said that, I absolutely love that scene. Especially because Dex thought there was something fishy going on. Is he going to save her or not?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    Well, of course!
    And some people would find Pol pot more relatably human.
    Yes, the writers made Dex astute and objective enough to have him pick up on Krystle's distress, while Alexis simply relished what she perceived as Krystle's vulnerability to herself, Alexis (over being "caught" out with a side piece).

Ultimately, Dex did nothing. :lol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    Alternatively, by accusing the nice person of being fake, the rotten person could try to convince himself that the nice person isn't really better than he is, as a way of self-preservation.
    Which sort of resembles James' point of view
    Putting that scenario in a battle, however, it blurs the rotten person's ability to recognize the strenghts and weaknesses, what's real and what's not.
    And knowledge, to really know your enemy for what he is (rather than what you want him to be) is the greatest weapon.

But maybe that isn't meant to be for us mortals.

And then there's John Steinbeck's creation Cathy Ames, the devil's personification in literature. She searched for and encouraged people's weaknesses, took advantage of those weaknesses but she always despised her victims for being weak. Does that mean that Pure Evil only understands evil, and therefore unable to see or understand Goodness?
    And how does that relate to Rita Lesley?

I think he and Krystle had sex, but if you blinked you missed it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    Well, they recognize it's the yin to their own yang.

15. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,561
    I know lots of people who saw Krystle as fake nice--many off the show but also let's not forget Claudia on the show. Whether it was based on the Stepford Krystle of later years, or the more complex one of the first season or simply on people's own projection is hard to decipher. Then again I recently came across the Esther Shapiro interviewing rationalizing the Rita storyline and saying that since Linda wanted to keep Krystle good, there was not much she could do with her. So I wondered what a slut Miss Ellie would have been in her hands.

Maybe Kristina was his, thus his interest and involvement with Sarah Curtis.
    Dex and Krystle should have been closer friends--it would have driven Alexis insane (as it later did with Sable before he and she even started having sex) and would have given both characters more to interact with.

But back to the clip
    Yes, that is what should have happened. No matter what Alexis said or even thought about Krystle, the image of a shrew (wo)manhandling children was not congruent with everything she knew. Instead, she should have had someone installed as a spy asap, or even have Rita bugged. Imagine if such actions resulted in Alexis finding out Rita is a fake and saving Krystle--with Krystle having to be beholden to her nemesis for her rescue.

I am more willing to accept that since Alexis was already mentally cheating on Dex at the time with Galen (and she had cheated on Blake in the past) so it was easy for her to project her behavior onto others. What was bizarre is thinking that with "Krystle" and "the doctor" having a full mansion and unlimited rooms to themselves, they would need to go out to some roadhouse for a dinner.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    To be fair - Claudia, out of all characters, had reasons to be vary of Krystle; she slept with her husband which ultimately led to the destruction of Claudia's family.

Then you have the fact that Krystle tried to take Claudia under her wing just because of her guilty conscience... that wasn't because she cared about Claudia, but because she felt bad and didn't want to feel bad. If anything the Krystle / Claudia dynamic is probably one of the more complex relationships on Dynasty - or could've been.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    Yeah, I think I'll go with that.

Also to avoid the paradox that "evil only understands evil", which means that evil doesn't have a choice, and therefore can't be held accountable for its evil actions.
    I've always supported the idea of this real, non-romantic friendship.
    Maybe these two could have put the Denver back in Dynasty.
    Or she could decide to use Rita first (not to kill Blake, of course) and then eventually rescue Krystle, and proclaim herself a hero.
    Kind of how Abby Ewing reunited Valene with her twins:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    Yes, and others have mentioned that idea over the years, too.
    Are you sure about that?

Well, I guess that topic could be a Rorschach test for the viewer.
    I've rewatched Season 7 so rarely --- did Alexis try to obtain a black market heart for Kwissthteeeena at one point, or was I drinking very heavily at the time?

"Isn't Dex beautiful, Krystle? I potted him on Friday-- DALLAS was a re-run."
    [​IMG]

19. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    Both yes and no - since Krystle wasn't a sociopath, she felt empathy towards Claudia but it doesn't mean that it wasn't mainly about Krystle feeling bad over her making someone else feel bad by the course of her own actions. Someone like Alexis would've shrugged it off.

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    LOL

But I agree with tommie, it wasn't so black & white and offered the viewer different perspectives.

(from another thread):

• Agree Agree x 1