Rita Lakin Dynasty Season 7 writer speaks

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Tony, Apr 30, 2018.

1. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +95
    What is odd, is that Rita Lakin previously worked with Esther Shapiro on Emerald Point NAS. She was a creative consultant for the last 7 episodes. She did not say a word about it on her biography.

2. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +40
    How can you write a book and write for dynasty and not be Caress?!?! Everyone who writes a book must have it be a total tell all! Something Alexis would imprison caress over?!? Just spill spill spill!! That’s always best therapy according to many.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    You remembered why I hated her so much!!!! :) Also I think she was a secret lush.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,796
    I've heard this said before and it's a misperception. The Pollocks, whatever their titles each season, were the de facto show runners from Season 2 thru Season 8, and had essentially total end-of-the line control over the show and its stories (except for Aaron and the Shapiros, of course). People like Lakin and Heath and Marchetta were just brought in for additional idea duties, but were overruled and outranked by the Pollocks at every turn. Marchetta found the Pollocks disrespect for narrative logic a problem, and Paulsen told the Shapiros as he joined the show that he had no idea what the Pollocks were doing with the narrative and the Shapiros agreed with him (though Esther would never have said so publicly, always citing the Pollocks laughably as the "brilliant constructionists" they certainly weren't).

Why was the work from the Pollocks in Season 2 so seemingly competent? Ed Ledding won't tell us.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,246
    They bought him off.

Or maybe he's repressed all memories.

6. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Actually, I have the bibles of four seasons (no pun intended lol) and for both seasons of "the Colbys" and people like Camille Marchetta were credited as sole authors. The name of The Pollocks appear only in the cover for season 3 (and I guess for seasons 2 and 4 but unfortunately I was not able to buy copies of them).

I also own some material (story outlines, script outlines...) for seasons 5 and 6 and there were also written by Marchetta (with the occasional help of other writers) and Gould/Hamner. However, I do have some documents (revisions, recommendations, meeting notes) with the comments of the Pollocks (and sometimes from Esther but never from Richard) telling Marchetta and Gould/Hamner what to keep and what to change.

I find interesting that the comments of the Pollocks sound just polite - if not a bit cold - at the beginning and very enthousiastic towards the end of season 5 (they are some comments like "it should make a damned good show"). On the contrary for season 6 the comments are more and more authoritarian as the season progress.

• Informative Informative x 4
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,796
    The Shapiros names and Aaron's don't appear on those scripts as "writer" either, one assumes, but they had control. The 'written by' credits is just that -- a credit given to whomever was assigned the duty of ostensbly typing out that week's script.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +95
    But I was not talking about scripts but of seasonal bibles and story outlines - that is to say the cutting of the bible into episodes. Camille Marchetta and the others did not bring additional stories, they wrote the main stories, except during the retooling times (season 6B and probable season 7B too ).

Of course, there is not doubt that the producers (the Pollocks included) had the last word on everything (and the people of ABC as well).

9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,796
    Anybody with a "producer" or "story consultant" title is potentially involved in seasonal bible construction.