Rita Lakin Dynasty Season 7 writer speaks

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Tony, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,620
    So you're assuming they did?

2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,462
    Both they and Esther Shapiro have said so in interviews (and nobody has ever said otherwise), so yes.

3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,620
    Esther says a lot of things, including calling the Pollocks "brilliant constructionists" when they weren't. Lakin dismissing them as not really being writers seems more accurate.

So if the Pollocks were allegedly so good, why did their work drop like a rock in their second year and never recover? (Which is why I sometimes toss in the point about Ledding).

4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,462
    Considering the episodes she herself wrote, I dismiss her just as easily as you dismiss them.

I don't think season three is bad narrative-wise other than the empress Alexis angle, which apparently the show (including Ledding) had already planned from season two. As for Ledding, I can easily ask why his other shows are not as good as DYNASTY's season two.

But I don't consider the Pollocks as good as say, the Shapiros in season one, who created a set of characters that were really original to TV, like Steven, Claudia, Krystle, and Fallon. The Pollocks themselves admitted they knew "form" which is their way of saying they knew how to turn out a product, not necessarily have vision. They understood the show needed a more well-defined and permanent Alexis than Shapiro's six-week plan. But once their original bible for Alexis (which was based on their blueprint for their own proposed prime time soap which was not green-lighted) run out, they just went to more form, i.e. mini-arcs and people coming and going. The Shapiros, on the other hand, had the in-built flaw that they did not care for their shows like David Jacobs or Steven Bochco. They simply saw them as intellectual properties that once created, someone else could run them. This, more than anything else, is why I think DYNASTY started sliding. When Shapiro got scared in season 6B and got involved again, we saw she could still refocus her own product. But then she abandoned it again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    I think it's pretty clear that Joan Collins helped shape Alexis. Probably more so than any writer on the show. I mean if you see her work before Dynasty a lot of it is just very Alexis. It's like she herself was preparing for that role for years. Then when she's given the role she runs with it. Boy does she run with it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,620
    Well, it indeed got even worse, it's true. But the logic and narrative flow started to collapse as early as Season 3.

7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,355
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Miss Piggy says that she would have loved her mum to give the Constance role to herself! Or moi as she says!!

upload_2018-5-29_21-41-33.jpeg

"Flamingo Road" Muppet version!!​