Roger Grimes -- when did it all happen...?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,615
    As we know, the tale of Roger Grimes, his affair with Alexis, and his beating at the hand of Blake Carrington, if not re-written was enhanced more than once during the course of DYNASTY's nine season run.

** According to Season 2, Blake caught Alexis with Roger, threw her out of the country after quickie divorce in 1965, and she was never seen until Blake's murder trial sixteen years later in 1981 just "two months" after Roger died in prison.

** According to Season 5, Amanda was 20 and turning 21 in April of 1985, with it established that Blake and Alexis attempted a reconciliation for several months which collapsed leading to her expulsion in October 1963, and Amanda born in April 1964.

** According to Season 9, Blake threw Alexis out in 1964 and she went to find Roger whom tiny Fallon then killed in the cottage on the edge of the estate property, grandpa Tom cleaning up the mess and skirting Alexis away.

Which one makes sense? Or you prefer? And what umbrella explanation can rationalize the contradictions?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Wasn't there something about Roger's dad too? Somewhere between S2 and 5, I think. What was the story there and when were the events? Ta.

3. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +313
    I can think of two explanations for all the contradictions:

1) I don't think we should necessarily assume each season corresponds to a calendar year; some seasons may depict events which took place over more than one year. Season one may have depicted events which occurred earlier than 1981. Perhaps there is some time-compression going on in the interest of forwarding the plot; this would explain Krystina aging rapidly and Dex saying he and Alexis had been together for eight years.

2) It would be an understatement to say that Alexis is unreliable; I take everything she says with a Lot's wife sized pinch of salt. "Blake crippled Roger": Roger was in a wheelchair (as all patients are) when he was released from the hospital. Blake threatened to disfigure her: could be a bold-faced lie or Blake could have said it with no intention following through. Roger died before she returned to Denver: perhaps Jake Dunham's office told her Grimes had been missing for several years and presumed dead which she took to mean really most sincerely dead. Grimes wife may have had him declared dead for insurance and inheritance reasons.

I really don't have a problem with the discrepancies in the Grimes story as several people are telling us information (Rashomon style) leaving the viewer (and John Zorelli) to figure it all out.

What I do have a problem - a HUGE problem - with is Sean being conveniently by the side of the river when Alexis drives her car off the bridge. That is a coincidence Dickens would have scoffed at.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    There were problems with both season 5 and season 9 versions. In season 5, the reconciliation made no sense. Why couldn't Alexis have left already pregnant? (And don't get my started on a mother who has lost one son to kidnappers and two to a forced custody arrangement dumping her daughter to her sister).

But the worst part of the reconciliation is that it dilutes the mythical exile from Eden image of Alexis being forced out from a raging, almost homicidal Blake and makes it so that the two would have been back again for a few months like two alienated spouses on couples therapy. Then at that point why couldn't they have made some arrangement where she slept in a separate bedroom and they were no longer partners in bed? She would be good for social events and the kids would keep their mother.

With season 9, I did not like the ridiculousness of pre-k Fallon killing Roger and not even Alexis remembering. I would have preferred it if Tom had killed him when Roger found out about the art collection and blackmailed him.

The inconsistencies of when Roger died and whether he was crippled can be attributed to people giving their own versions. I mean, to hear Steven tell it, Blake killed Ted Dinard. To hear Fallon tell it, she pushed him. And the D.A. in season 2 was may be telling Alexis that he can confirm that Roger Grimes died 2 months ago--aka that is when his family finally declared him dead, leaving out details he thought were inconvenient or not important for her.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,615
    And, during S5, the script claims Blake and Alexis were married 9 years and 7 years only weeks apart.