Roseanne to return in 2018

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Sarah, May 17, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39944321

The US sitcom Roseanne is set for a revival, ABC network bosses have confirmed after competing with Netflix to restart the show two decades after it ended.

Most of its original cast will return for next year's eight-episode revival.

It becomes one of a slate of TV series being revived, including Will & Grace, Twin Peaks, The X Files, 24, Prison Break and The Gilmore Girls.

Roseanne aired for nine seasons in the late 1980s and through the 1990s.

Original cast members Roseanne Barr (Roseanne), John Goodman (Dan), Sara Gilbert (Darlene), Laurie Metcalf (Jackie), Michael Fishman (D.J.) and Lecy Goranson (Becky) have all been confirmed.

But Johnny Galecki, who played David, is busy with his role as Dr Leonard Hofstadter in the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory.

Roseanne depicted a normal American family, the Conners, led by Roseanne in the fictional town of Lanford, Illinois.

The sitcom won many awards and its final episode drew nearly 17 million viewers when it aired in 1997.

"The Conners' joys and struggles are as relevant and hilarious today as they were then, and there's really no one better to comment on our modern America than Roseanne," ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey wrote in a statement.

On Twitter, though, opinions were divided.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,316
    Isn't Dan dead?

I know that last season was a mess so maybe they'll just ignore it.

3. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Yes he is dead but he's coming back apparently. I mean it's been done before. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43553745

Revivals of much-loved TV series can be hit and miss. And Roseanne has been welcomed back by critics - but they say it doesn't quite match the original.

Many of the sitcom's stars are back 21 years on, including Roseanne Barr and John Goodman as Roseanne's husband Dan.

The New York Times said the show was still "feisty and funny" and likened it to the "old couch you can't throw out".

Vulture's Jen Chaney wrote: "It may not be quite as good or as groundbreaking as the original, but it holds up."

The show originally ran from 1988 to 1997, and the reboot finds out how the working class Connor family are faring later in life during the Trump era.

Goodman's character was killed off in the last series, but somehow makes a miraculous return in series 10 and he and Roseanne are now grandparents.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,503
    There's a hilarious promo for the show where Rosie and Dan are in bed and Rosie wakes him up. He's startled, and she exclaims, "I thought you were dead!" (implying he had been sleeping really soundly). "Why do people keep saying that?" he replies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,670
    I saw the first two episodes last night, and I thought the she was up to par. Sure, the first episode was a little clunky, as they were getting their sea legs back, and the show was trying to establish that this reboot was going to be a little more political-political than the first version. But by the second episode, they seemed to be back in their old groove and I chuckled several times.

Also, as I suspected, Roseanne's "support" for Trump, on screen and off, is a bit of a scam. ;)

I was never 100% sure Tim Allen's show was totally sincere either, but the need to play to the self-destructively tone-deaf white working class with a wink and a snark is a bit more obvious in the latest incarnation of ROSEANNE.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,670
    Roseanne returned Tuesday. The ABC sitcom, away from the air for two decades, kicked off its revived run with especially promising returns — dominating every other Big Four telecast of the night.

The first two episodes of Roseanne, a full hour at the top of the ABC lineup, won the night by both adults 18-49 and total viewers. The show averaged a 5.1 rating in the key demo and 18.1 million viewers, rising from the first half hour to the next. The first number alone is easily enough to make Roseanne the highest-rated regularly-scheduled scripted show of the last few seasons, as well as the highest-rated sitcom in recent memory.

That's an incredibly strong start for the sitcom, thus far only committed to nine episodes. The easiest comparison is another revival, NBC's Will & Grace. The other reboot, one that helped jumpstart Roseanne and the current trend, premiered with a 3.0 rating in the key demo and just over 10 million viewers at the start of the season.

ABC made a pretty bold move by having Roseanne go it alone at 8 p.m., without any lead-in. The hour has belonged to sitcoms The Middle and Fresh Off the Boat for the season up until now. Roseanne's brief run picks up next Tuesday, airing single episodes at 8 p.m. for another seven weeks.

Reboots have been a big part of the TV narrative the last year, particularly at the broadcast networks. Will & Grace and Roseanne will be followed by Murphy Brown on CBS during the 2018-19 season, and rumblings of others (The Office, Mad About You) continue. Like Will & Grace, itself renewed through a third season of the new run, Roseanne's comeback was inspired by the current political climate. But unlike Will & Grace, or any other scripted offering on U.S. TV at the moment, Roseanne presents a more varied take on Donald Trump's America.

These shows are an easy way to cut through the clutter. They promote themselves, generally inspire initial tune-in and have established cast members to do a lot of the heavy lifting — one reason why ABC was able to pull in $175,000 for 30-second ads. For now, it seems, it was worth the investment.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/tv...ing-premiere/ar-BBKP9fQ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,700
    Just watched the 2 episodes and I must say I was really impressed. They've stayed true to the original and have updated it in a way that feel totally organic. The humour is still on point and consistent with the tone of the original, right down to the inside jokes, like them being okay with Darlene being gay and Becky 1 and Becky 2's exchange. I like that they've found a way to include Sarah Chalke. I enjoyed the performances by both the actors playing Darlene's kids, the daughter is just like a young Darlene and actually looks a lot like Sara Gilbert. All round I think they've done a great job. Long may this continuation last.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +254
    I'm glad that the past has been revisited. Like "Geena" is a throwback to a past "Roseanne" episode. I doubt we will get any more RE: Mark 1.0's death. I'm glad that not everything has turned out well for the Connor family. I like the reality aspect.

I suggest to any new "Roseanne" fan to watch Season's 01-08, TOTALLY SKIP Season 09, and then start watching the reboot version.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,670
    Not surprisingly, Our Fearless Leader misses the irony in Roseanne's -- and ROSEANNE's -- support for him:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/pr...ratulate-her/ar-AAvebtd?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

The “Roseanne” revival has at least one famous fan: President Trump.

Trump made a personal call to star Roseanne Barr to congratulate her on the show’s rating success, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told the New York Times.

[​IMG]

President Trump reportedly called Roseanne Barr after her show premiered Tuesday night. Barr, one of the most outspoken conservatives in Hollywood, wove her politics into she show’s reboot, which premiered Tuesday night.

Her character, Roseanne Conner, has cut ties with sister Jackie (Laurie Metcalf) over their political differences: Roseanne voted for Trump, while Jackie’s first appearance on screen includes a “Nasty Woman” sweatshirt and pussyhat.

The hour-long pilot was littered with snide comments about snowflakes, health care, pantsuits and guns before the TV sisters called a truce.

[​IMG]

“Roseanne” leaned into star Roseanne Barr’s politics in the premiere Tuesday.
    The episodes drew 18.2 million viewers, a wild success for the ABC reboot and 10% more viewership that the original series finale 21 years ago.

Barr insisted that the working-class Conner family support Trump in what she called “an accurate portrayal of these people and people like them.”

“I just wanted to have that dialogue about families torn apart by the election and their political differences of opinion and how we handle it,” she told the New York Times. “I thought that this was an important thing to say at this time.”

The 65-year-old actress previously told the Hollywood Reporter that “of course” she would want to screen the sitcom at the White House.

While an Oval Office screening seems unlikely, other residents of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue praised the show after its premiere.

“Wow amazing. Congrats @therealroseanne,” Donald Trump Jr., the President’s son, tweeted Wednesay. “If you’re not too busy already maybe work in a late night show too...seems there’s some demand for an alternate viewpoint.”

Dan Scavino, the White House director of social media, also reached out.

“Congratulations to @therealroseanne and the crew — so awesome!!!” he tweeted from his personal account.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,700
  12. BD Calhoun

BD Calhoun Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Is it a scam? Roseanne voted for Trump in real life. Tim Allen's pretty conservative leaning too.

I thought the show was good. At least the Connors voted for Trump based on economic reasons rather than racism, sexism, and xenophobia. It would have been nice if Roseanne at least acknowledged that Trump lied (they gave that line to Jackie about how they didn't get the healthcare they were promised). Any person who is working class and continues to believe Trump is on their side is certainly "self-destructively tone-deaf," but I get how people like the Connors fell for the rhetoric. It's simply a fact that Trump outflanked the left when it came to campaigning on the economy. Unfortunately, Roseanne the character seems to still believe in Trump with her comment about things not being bad "on the real news."

Makes me wonder if the real Roseanne feels the same way. Either way, some of the political commentary such as "deplorable" and "snowflake" was a little too on the nose for my taste. The part where Roseanne asks Jackie who Jill Stein is was kind of funny. Roseanne lost the Green Party nomination to Stein in 2012, and even debated her.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +254
    I would like more drama. I'd like Becky to be a full-blown alcoholic and blame her parents for them never liking the late "Mark #1.0," and for the way she never could go to a good college because of their poor financial status, as well as being a grieving widow. There were actually a few remarks about alcohol and Becky already, and it would be a throwback to a past "Roseanne" episode where Becky gets drunk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. BD Calhoun

BD Calhoun Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +462
    The Roseanne revival has created quite a firestorm in the media due to Roseanne being a Trump supporter. Many conservatives seem to love it, although I've seen a few who think it's disguised leftist propaganda. Their reasoning is that Roseanne supported Trump for his economic proposals, as opposed to the culture wars. And, of course, there's the fact that her grandson wears girls clothes on the show. I happen to know Trump supporters like the Connors. Many of them are open minded, but felt betrayed by Dems who didn't fight for them.

Of course, the establishment media on the left treats the show in a rather condescending fashion. I don't think the revival is perfect, but the political aspect is far less pervasive than the media lets on. Still, MSNBC host Ari Melber interviewed Sandra Bernhard (Roseanne's friend Nancy on the show), and asked her why white women voted for Trump. Unfortunately, she gave the same answers Hillary Clinton herself has said. She claimed that these women were either influenced by the men in their lives or they felt inadequate compared to Hillary.

I find people who parrot those excuses to be incredibly tone deaf. Does Roseanne strike anybody as the type of woman who would do what a man told her? She's a wealthy woman, stand up comic, and her revived hit tv show is a hit again. Does anybody think she feels inadequate to Hillary? Of course not. Imagine if the genders were reversed, and a man claimed that men who voted for Hillary did so because their wives pressured them too. He would be labeled a sexist and people would do everything in their power to see he never worked again.

I actually think it's great that Roseanne is forcing people to have a conversation about why people voted the way they did, but some of the responses are condescending and miss the mark.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,316
    I was thinking about seeing John Denver presenting at the Emmys one year - it must have been in the seventies - and in his introduction he said that the history of television over the preceding 2o years could be summed up as going from I Love Lucy to We're Mad About Mary (meaning Mary Tyler Moore).

If we're going in 2o year jumps then I think there's little doubt that the nineties was Rosanne Rules. I can't think of anyone who's had the same kind of impact since.