nuDynasty Episode Chat S01E07: A Taste Of Your Own Medicine

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by Ome, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    I loved all this. From the build-up where I thought she was crazy to the revelation that she had not just played all the Carringtons, she played me too.

Are you wanting the story to follow the original?

On WENTWORTH, they have the original characters and premise, but they've changed many stories around and for me, it works perfectly, at least it causes me to second guess and still get it wrong.

I'm going to assume that we have to have recurring characters who don't get as much focus on because we're still getting to know the leading characters and over time some of the recurring characters will get their time in the spotlight. There needs to be a balance because throwing every character into a major story can lead to the ultimate crash and burn.

I also enjoy a good slow burn with some of the lesser important characters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    I think Monique will shine in season 2, I hope! I think she has potential, Michael Culhane is much better thus time around, he's very 3 dimensional and I like his backstory too, that he's a good college kid that wants to please his parents, I'm glad they're not going down the shady, con man act with him, I reckon Fallon is going to hire Michael as an executive for her company.

I'm still a bit indifferent towards Steven, just hurry up and bring in Adam and Amanda so we can have all four Carrington kids together this time around! TPTB must be listening to us since they've gotten Nicolette Sheridan as Alexis so unite the Carrington siblings already!

• Like Like x 2
  3. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +73
    The problem is not that they split up with the original, at the end of the day it's necessary. Who needs another Moldavian wedding ? It' s the way they do it... Very cliché and parodic... Claudia locking up Anders and SJ, and sitting close to Cristal with a gun under the table and ultimately shooting the turkey, Fallon kidding and behaving like Chuck Norris in front of a gun... I never felt any surprise, no thrill, nothing. I was sure nobody would be hurt. Not even Claudia herself. I guess nobody forgot when Claudia fought with Krystle over that gun ( season 2) and Toscani entered the room just in time to witness something we had to wait one week to learn all about. I was breathless.
    THIS is my problem with this Dynasty. I don't expect the next episode. I hardly care. It's a bit too funny to be taken seriously. There's a huge difference between camp and parody. Excepted for Matthew s death (but is he? ) there's no real drama. No real cliffhanger. I really watch it the way I would read a comic book... Or watch a sitcom...

4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    I was completely opposite in how I viewed it. I had no idea if one of them was going to get shot, or even worse get killed off. I don't read any of the news or gossip on the show because I want to watch it as blind as I can. I have no idea if all the main actors are signed up for a full season, or more.

You raised a great point here by asking if Matthew is dead because I've been expecting a twist as I never saw a dead Matthew. I've also convinced myself not to believe Claudia killed him, if indeed he is dead.

Isn't that the point? I mean, I don't actually take any of it seriously because it's just a campy soap drama. I was the same with Dallas and other primetime shows.

If I want a serious drama I will look elsewhere.

5. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The problem with the show is that there are no soap opera writers on staff writing the scripts....so we don't get those cliffhanger scenes at the end of each episode making the viewer want to tune in next week to see what happens. It also d oesnt know if it's a soap or a self contained show...its a hybrid (original falcon crest did that in their 1st season and the show quickly abandoned it...knots season 3 was like that after 2 seasons of self contained episodes..and that quickly got abandoned). I think the show needs to toss out the two gossip girl show runners..keep Sallie Patrick and have some soap writers join the staff (not Charles Pratt JR or latham). Original dynasty got a boost when the Pollack joined in the 2nd season at the same time.joan Collins joined.

With that said, the Claudia thing should have gone on much longer then it did...with the episode ending with her taking the family hostage..or a gunshot going off and we not know if anyone got hit. When Blake ran Claudia over and the episode ended in episode 5...that wad an example of old school prime time soap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Exactly. There's no tension, nothing's at the stake. Nothing makes us actually WANT to tune in next week. Good writing should have consequences. And getting rid of those "Gossip Girl" showrunners would be a good move. They're trying too hard to make the tone of this show similar to that. But it's obviously not working. It also reminds me of "Dirty Sexy Money" - the second season was campy, bitchy and totally weird. It was a totally different show after the writer's strike which was such a shame because the first season was truly charming and refreshing. The characters are one-dimensional and we're not invested in their stories. There's nobody to root for.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,892
    What's good drama and what's not, that's a though discussion.
    But I think you can watch soap, knowing that it is a soap, and still feeling very much for the characters and their reasons and reactions.
    I'm sorry but NuDynasty doesn't have that, so I'm watching it as (mostly) entertaining rubbish. Most classic prime time soaps ended up being rubbish (and often not so entertaining anymore) but they all had a terrific premise and some very good seasons.

In all fairness, I don't think they ever said that NuDynasty was going to be great drama.
    I think the throwaway/junkfood approach works for this show. I also keep forgetting how the episodes end, but it doesn't matter.
    We're not in Peyton Place anymore!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Since we'got Nicolette Sheridan back soon as Alexis (honestly it's going to be tough for me no to see Paige's ghost... ) have a glance on Knots. It was pure soap. It was often very funny. Unbelievable things occured every season. BUT the way it was written we have no choice but believing it. I did. I believed Val had a dissociative identity disorder after the "death" of her twins. BECAUSE the writing staff was excellent (maybe the very best of all prime time soaps, even if my heart belongs to Dallas) . I'm sure they could have been good enough to introduce a storyline about an alien abduction... (I swear I do. ) They would have handled it the way they handled everything. Those story happen. People all over the world still claim they were abducted by aliens. Knots would have known how to cope with that and stay grounded. (And honestly Dynasty S8 was not so bad at it... Not perfect but not so bad... )
    When you're a great writer, you can write anything. Knots was meant to grown up people. Dallas and Falcon Crest too. Dynasty was meant to grown up people who enjoy a little bit of camp here and there.
    NUDynasty is obviously designed for teenagers...

• Like Like x 1
  9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    I think the scenes between Blake and Steven are really interesting. And Anders and Sammy Jo make an unexpectedly enjoyable double act.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. TheWorldaStage

TheWorldaStage Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    LOL. My thoughts exactly.

If they try to, perhaps they will bank on a weak plot point. Like Claudia actually did set it up correctly to only injure Matthew, but then someone else went in after her and purposely made it worse/deadly.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I'm catching up on the show and this was the best episode yet. Mostly because we've seen some good character development, especially from Michael and Claudia. It was very nice to see Anders and Sammy Jo interacting again, But it is sort of disappointing that Claudia will be gone after this episode. And I don't care about those Venezuelans coming after Cristal. This plot reminds me of that unfortunate 3rd season of TNT's Dallas when the show became a Mexican soap. Monica (or is it Monique?) needs a storyline, or more of a personality. She is just there without a purpose. Just an extra person for Fallon and Jeff to interact with and their interactions with her are mostly boring and frogettable. By the way, why is Fallon permanently in her bitchy mode? Why always so on? Even when the crazy lady points a gun at her. Totally unbelievable.

• Like Like x 2
  12. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    I love the fact that entire scenes, even an end of episode cliffhanger, will take place with characters speaking only in Spanish without any concessions to viewers who don't understand the language. It's so the opposite of Soap Land in the white-centric '80s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I thought they forgot to put the subtitles lol

• Funny Funny x 2