1. Show your support for DYNASTY in the battle of the soaps

The Divorces

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

nuDynasty Episode Chat S01E08 - The Best Things In Life

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by tommie, Dec 7, 2017.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    I guess Claudia's locked in a mental institution for now, but I guess it's not impossible to write the crazy bitch in again.

It seems like they are finally moving along with Fallon / Jeff and Jeff is finally getting a bit more to do. Who's cousin Bobby Colby though? Oh, so Steven's back to doing drugs and doing Ted Dinard.

Uhm, doesn't doctors have that doctor/patient confidentiality thing? At least Cristal's secret is out now, though it's not exactly... juicy? She stole money for a doctor thing? Oh well, at least it means Enter Iris.

• Like Like x 1
  2. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Original Member Since:
    EJ Carrington
    No opening in this week episode!!! Again! Are they dropping it or it's just for this episode? Are they extending the opening to include Alexis, maybe??? Well, finally Cristal's secret is out... and Iris is in for XMas! Jeff is in too, IN or into Fallon! The beginning of their relationship and future wedding in NuDynasty??? And Steven? Back to NYC and back to cocaine and Ted???

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dasher Avery
    No Mood

Dasher Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,905
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I did not realize until last night that the actress playing Iris (seen up to now only in brief glimpses via flashback) is Elena Tovar. She played Rosalie Martinez on General Hospital several years ago, a crafty, hilariously snarky character. Tovar was supposed to be a minor character, but had such good screen presence that they expanded her character into a two-year stint. She was nominated for the Daytime Emmy for Guest Performer (which she lost to fellow GH'er Donna Mills). So I have high hopes for this new addition to Cristal's side of the family--a good casting choice.

I liked Anders's reluctant assistance to Cristal, though it was staged sort of oddly. It made me wonder if Iris is the one blackmailing/scaring her own sister, since I find myself doubting these mysterious people really care about Cristal's theft, and whether they would be willing to go after the wife of a powerful American millionaire.

Whether or not they play the title sequence typically hinges on the length of the episode. If it's running a bit long and they can't find anything else to cut, the titles are usually the first thing to go. Maybe the lack of title sequence is a sign that a lot is about to happen in the episode? Because this episode seemed full of "re-positioning" of stories--ending some, and setting the stage for others. Steven's storyline alone went through so much change that the viewer could have gotten whiplash. Perhaps the writers will be gearing toward plot arcs (six/seven episodes each) rather than season-long stories, a nod to the now-standard "mid-season break".

• Like Like x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    I suspect that they dropped it because they needed those extra 30 or something seconds.

I think it was Ted who was on the phone. Well, I hope it is him as I liked the guy playing him. Well, he was eye candy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I still hate what they are doing with Fallon and Jeff. Awful. Took 8 episodes, and it's still a bore. They still haven't opened their stupid business and most likely won't until episode 9 or later. They were at work, so they decided to get closer. How stupid. They call that set a company? She's supposed to be businesswoman of the year. It's just stupid.

Next week looks good! But any scenes with Fallon and Jeff are still a bore. It's clear she loves Michael, not Jeff.

6. Santa's Ho ho ho
    Sleepy

Santa's Ho ho ho Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    The show is just quirky and silly. Filler, really. I'm still watching because it comes on right after EMPIRE (which has improved of late, IMO).

7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Well, I think they are trying to set up a believable triangle - I mean, the reason they wrote off Michael after the first season on the original was because there was no way to believe that Fallon would ever choose him. Now we have a proper reason to root for for him, while they are just starting to properly give Jeff things to do and setting up for a potential Jeff/Fallon pairing.

While the execution isn't perfect, I get what they're doing. If they just had Fallon and Jeff hook up earlier then Michael would've become disposeable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +141
    The showrunner said that she loved Claudia in the original series..and said she would be back around or after Alexis is introduced. What I found funny is that the showrunner said that the Claudia story was a slow build...and I'm like '7 episodes isn't a slow build...its the build up'. Claudia not being on this week was noticable...she was the outsider looking at these weird people and thinking ' and people thinking crazy.

I still think making Sammy Jo into a Latino gay man is still limiting the character...and this week proves it. The original Sammy Jo also popped in and out...a little goes a long way

• Like Like x 1
  9. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Jeff is the worst character on the cast. Most boring. I would write him off by now.

Michael is more to root for. He seems real. He loves his family. Fallon obviously wants to be with him in every episode. She just got
    With Jeff because Michael chose the other girl to be with. I think in time she will end up dead and Monique will go after Michael. By that time, maybe Jeff will become a stronger character. I see him as a wimp. I wish they kill him off like now.

The Christmas episode looks really good and hopefully they end it with something big. I think Stansfield will be in it. Hopefully he is and the cliffhanger has to deal with him in some way.

10. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +245
    For all his flaws original jeff wasa much better character, with a much better actor.

11. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Original Member Since:
    August 1998
    Overall this episode was ok but I am struggling to care about Kristal's storyline.

Sammy Jo and Fallon feel like the strongest chacaters. I quite like some of nuances with Blake.

So is Monica Jeffs sister? I'm wondering if a Sable exists in this new version and how she fits in.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dasher Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,905
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    In the "Show In My Head," Monique Colby turns out to be the new version of Dominique--that is, Tom Carrington is her father, and once it is revealed (she thought Cisel was her father all this time), she will finally have a purpose and a story of her own, rather than just sitting around listening to Jeff and Fallon. Of course the actress will have to be up to this task, and so far I'm not seeing her as all that remarkable...but maybe she's just biding her time. Nothing has been said about Monique and Jeff's mother (I don't even think I've heard them mention her being around), but it would be interesting if she was this show's version of Sable. A rivalry between nuSable and Alexis might be something established in back-story, like perhaps Alexis knew about the affair Tom had that produced Monique, and it's Alexis who reveals Monique's true parentage for some reason.

It occurred to me after posting about Elena Tovar (Iris) that Tovar looks to be about thirty. It's going to be interesting to see how they explain Sammy Jo's mother looking to be the same age as her son.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ThornyXmasTreeNat89

ThornyXmasTreeNat89 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,122
    Original Member Since:
    22nd June 2010
    So this week they mention Tom and Iris, both essentially blank canvases during the first go round, we never really got Tom's opinion on Krystle in the original series either, we just know he liked Alexis.

And as for Iris, she was already dead by around a decade by the time Dynasty premiered in 1981, we only know she was involved with Daniel Reece in the 60s.

It actually shows that the new writers are genuinely more interests in the backstory of the main characters than the people who created the series in the first place!!!

This episode was actually good! Fallon and Micheal need to get back together and soon, Jeff is just too boring, at least Jeff MK1
    Was an interesting character played by a better actor, Steven on coke was a surprise but I guess one Carrington had to be a druggie and Fallon is too predictable.

I'm just waiting and hoping and praying and wishing and begging the universe, god, Jesus, Buddha etc etc, for SOME hint of
    Adam and Amanda! If characters who had one appearance or were offscreen in the original series are getting Hiroshima sized hint bombs like Tom and Iris, then the remaining Carrington kids need to show up!

14. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +245
    I wouldn't count on Adam, or amandashowing up, this blake wouldn't keep Adam's kidnapping a secret from Cristal, and Alexis has been gone for only ten years, so if amanda did exist she woud be ten, blake would know about her, and he would have fought Alexis for custody, and he would have brought it up by now, also he could have brought up Amanda to make Fallon jealous enough to leave jeffs side. Blake is awr of what Alexis is doing as she obviously tried to use the carrington name for her business after she left.
    Adam was created in the first place in case jack didn't work out as Steven, and a wasn't coming back, and Amanda was a Fallon susbstitutesince they were planning on moving Emma's Fallon to the Colbys, and they weren't counting on aaron firing Catherine, and The Colby's tanking. I doubt that james, and liz have any intention of leaving, this is jame's big break, and Liz hasn't had a series hit since Victorious, and she has a different view of Fallon then PSM did, so the same issues that caused PSM to leave won't influence her.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dasher Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,905
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    Yes, in the modern world of google searches and TMZ hiding in the bushes, this version's Alexis would not be able to keep Amanda a secret from Blake, and if a Carrington heir had been kidnapped in the 1990s, the stories would have been quite well known (think: the Lindbergh Baby kidnapping). They could obviously tweak some of the details, like maybe combine the stories of Adam and Amanda into one composite character, "Amy" or something. Alexis had an affair at an early point in the marriage, leading Blake to run the guy out of town (overseas somewhere). Alexis then turned up pregnant, and the baby was taken from the hospital--shipped off to the baby's supposed father by Blake, who refused to raise another man's child. The world was told the baby was stillborn--even Alexis. When the twenty-three year-old woman shows up at Carrington Manor, Blake has a lot of explaining to do, especially since a DNA test proves "Amy" is in fact a full sibling to Fallon and Steven, and looks more like Blake than either of her siblings.

16. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +245
    it always puzzled me, how in season two , Blake could take a blood test to prove that he was Fallon's father, but they couldn't do a test to prove that Adam was Adam.

17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    To be fair, the blood test essentially just ruled out Cecil as Fallon's possible father rather than confirmed 100% that Blake was. Blood tests weren't like DNA swabs today.

But yes it was a weird oversight in the series. Though didn't they retcon that in the original series? It was a dumb storyline anyway...

18. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Original Member Since:
    August 1998
    I think they will bring in Adam.

Despite the world we live in its completely possible in soap world. Actually it would be kind of fun if new Adam was only 10. A devilish kid who makes Cristals life difficult but Blake won't hear anything of it.

Adam could be like one of those little spy kids Cersai has in GOT :) He is his obsessed with his mother, totally adores her an irrational degree. He would do anything for her....

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Kristin Kringle Channing
    Sweettooth

Kristin Kringle Channing Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,910
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    I'm pretty sure Blake mentioned something in this episode about, not sure exactly how it was phrased, Alexis giving birth to his two children. This would effectively rule out the possibility of Adam existing.
    Of course they could undo that later, just as the original show did, but it seems to suggest there are no plans for an Adam at the moment.

20. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    We talked about this a while ago on the Dynasty forum, but apparently the Pollocks intended to introduce Adam in season two and it was envisioned as the big reason to the divide between Alexis and Blake. Season 2 of oldDynasty is perfection though, so I'm glad they didn't rush him on the show.

With that said, I could see possibly Adam showing up on nuDynasty, but not Amanda. Amanda really was a character that was invented because they needed a female Carrington heir and in general was just directionless as a character. Adam on the other hand was really the bad seed and played that role very well.