nuDynasty Episode Chat S01e09 - Rotten Things (fall Finale)

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by tommie, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    Then do that. I'm too curious which network will pick that up. :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This was my favourite episode of the series so far and I do think it's getting better incrementally. I fully accept that it's a CW template show with easter eggs for original Dynasty fans; it's not a legacy show trying to capture the CW audience. I'm fine with it.

I was genuinely shocked by the final twist with Iris's ex and the Jeff Colby reveal. This made me feel (probably for the first time) that there is a longer term plan to the stories. I also like that they're starting to branch out from the original in this regard.

In terms of criticism, yes the Iris stuff was at warp speed and the catfight was a bit cheap but y'know what, it was fun. And dare I say it but the likes of Tom and Monica/que (if that story twist is headed in to Deveraux territory) are far better considered than the original. The benefit of looking at the original as a whole and planning these things from the beginning instead of on the hoof, perhaps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Here is my theory after watching episode 9...

Monica is the daughter of Blake and Cecil's wife.... and has it been said if she's alive or not? If she's alive... Vanessa Williams would be perfect since her show Daytime Divas was recently cancelled.

I'm kind of surprised Monica made a play for Michael, but at the same time, I'm not. I think she realized that she will always be in Fallon's shadow.. and always thought of as the charity case by Fallon and I think this is a way for her to strike back at Fallon. I think Fallon was trying to be nice, but like most of her attempts.. it was the wrong approach. I do agree with monica that comparing Alexis abandoning Fallon for England is loads different then Monica's father going off to prison. I just wish the show had done a better job showing the gradual realization that Fallon views her as a charity case in the earlier eight episodes.

I'm wondering if Cristal's sister Iris knew Sammy Jo's dad is alive and the two are in cahoots to get money out of Cristal and the Carringtons. It's sad, but I don't like Cristal at all... in the original show, Krystle was nice.. but no pushover. The only time Cristal was likable was the scenes between her and Matthew.. plus her vs Claudia... but the show killed off Matthew and carted Claudia off to the looney bin. Claudia in the original had interactions with Jeff and Cecil Colby... so I'm surprised the modern day Claudia wasn't used in the Colby story more.

The reason Sammy Jo worked in the original show was that the character came and went over the seasons.. she wasn't kept on full time all the time. Maybe this current Sammy Jo should have been written off at the mid season.. and brought back a little later after getting some money/smarts.

Fallon is intriguing... but the writing needs to show her more human side without making her always say one liners all the time. I can't wait till Alexis arrives.. EG will certainly raise to the occasion because I anticipate some mother/daughter arguments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Oh, yes, it was almost inevitable that elements of this remake show would probably wind up being better executed than much of the original given that the remake was unlikely to have the creative internal identity conflicts of the '80s show, even if it also lacks the actor appeal and the potential (largely untapped, naturally) of the original.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yes! I've been saying this for a few weeks now - Vanessa Williams would be AMAZING as Dominique Deveraux! She'd be the best choice. This seriously needs to happen. New Dominique going head to head with new Alexis, whoa. Imagine the level of juiciness and bitchiness of those scenes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I;'
    I think Monica also will be Blake's child with Cesil's wife. I was guessing Cesil killed her but it hasn't been revealed if she's still alive or not. Cesil is interesting, but they are really messing up Jeff and Monica. They just wait until now to have Jeff agree with his father and have Monica just go to Michael without even being around him for the past few episodes...maybe have her at Thanksgiving helping out, at the Christmas lighting thing around him, and he would have left that other girl before Thanksgiving. That's what they SHOULD have done. Very careless writers. Totally not believable with how that all came about.

7. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,488
    If Nu Dynasty gets season 2 then I have a number of suggestions:

- Ditch the Colby's, they're simply not working this time around, 9 episodes in and I'm bored of Jeff! Cesil bored me after two seconds, Monica I would probably keep as I think she has potential.

- Bring Claudia back, just so she can be a nuisance to the Carrington's.

- Drop the whole Venezuela thing as its becoming like Dallas 2.0 with South American cartels.

- Put Fallon and Micheal together, there's good chemistry there and should not be wasted

- Sammy Jo moves out of the Carrington mansion and tries harder to make it alone rather than leeching off his rich aunt and uncle.

- in lieu of Jeff and Cesil, I would bring Back Tom Carrington, I would also bring in another Blaisdel relative, to bolster Claudia and to have a blue collar/middle class rival to the Carrington's,

- A new way for Adam and Amanda to come into the show, they are both the older twins that Blake and Alexis had before Fallon
    But were kidnapped (remember they were born before the internet and social media lets say that this happened in 1990/91) Alexis and Blake could've kept the pregnancy quiet from the media or something, or Alexis gave birth to the twins in England as she had an affair and wasn't sure who the father was.

Thats basically it really.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    I watched that episode since I literally had too much time in my hands. The plotting and character assassination are now beyond train wreck, which is a bit sad because a lot of the actors and the cast as a whole have quite meshed together by now, whereas before it was painful to watch. It was interesting to see Tom (was that his name) Carrington, but it made Blake even more of a wuss and he wasn't that strong to begin with. The whole Cristal/Iris plot is more and more looking like Cidre is writing the show. And while I agree that Ted Dinard is off the charts hot, I have to say the character/actor of Sammy Jo is fun to watch. Jeff's character got a reboot that warns of a show that is jumping the shark, but I can't say that it wasn't an improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  9. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hiring Vanessa Williams? What for? Giving her a fistful of bitchy lines and the catfight of the week and ciao? Maybe they should hire a few good writers first.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Contrary to what others seem to think I actually liked Cesil and the actor playing him and think he could have potential as a good villain.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,400
    I'm dying at your siggy!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Patricia is sizing up the three wise kings and their gifts to see if they are good enough for her daughters. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,400
    I they are Ewings they will no doubt come bearing gifts of Divorce, Desertion and Disinterest.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    All good as long as they also got Dollars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I really enjoyed this and find that each episode is better than the last and it seems like the writers have a handle on the long term story goals which is nice. Yes things move fast, but that’s all tv now. I did feel a bit of kitchen sink with Sammy Jo’s dad being alive, but I understand not wanting to leave Cristal a murderer. I enjoy that they heavily play her relationship with Sammy Jo and also that we got to see Iris. It’s odd on the original just how little they explored her family.

My biggest complaint about this new series has been The Colbys but I’m happy now. It’s a departure from the original but it works. I like the actors that play Jeff and Monica, I just wasn’t getting much from the story. I thought this was a big move to finally develop a personality for Monica and it worked. I like the idea of the entire family wanting revenge. We know Jason and Cecil in the original weren’t fond of the Carrington family so that rings true. Making Jeff a devious character can also fill the void of Adam not being here. I’m very curious what it means that Blake slept with Monica and Jeff’s mother. Who is she? Is she still alive? Will she be the new Dominique? A play on Sable? Whatever the case I hope Victoria Rowell plays her. Vanessa Williams is gorgeous but we’ve seen her play that type of role so many times and she’s very one note.

Looking forward to seeing where this show goes in the new year. They have me *so* excited to see how they’ll bring on Alexis now.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I think nuDYNASTY is fantastic. I had been skeptical - as evident in my posts before the premiere, but as soon as I heard those ominous bells ringing at Blake and Cristal's wedding while Matthew's body was being spliced in half, I thought - now, that's a nice touch and I did not see it coming. And it only got better and better.

Easter eggs aside (which are a hoot for an original Dynasty fan like myself), the show appears to have a sense where it is headed, which -as we know - the original series was often missing (or at best ended up looking like that, despite starting seasons off with a bible).

You can't simply copy and paste the original stories if you're going to have a reboot, so I'm very happy with creative departures from the original characters like Jeff or Claudia, while keeping a great deal of the original spirit of others like Fallon and Sammy Jo.

I'm grateful we no longer seem to live in a TV landscape religiously governed by Live+SD ratings or the show would've been dead by now. And that would be a pity. The idea we're getting at least 22 episodes makes me happy.

The Christmas episode was a lot of fun, possibly the best so far. I wish I could get a Christmas soundtrack with Steven & Fallon's bored rendition of "Good King Wenceslas".

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Honestly I'm really liking this show so far as it's become one of my greatest guilty pleasures. The storylines might not exactly have great pacing and I'm a little concerned about the idea of episodic arcs, (I firmly believe Dynasty should have at least one or two season-long arcs), but the characters and plots are very enjoyable and it's very safe to say that Fallon is in my top 3 of favorite characters.

Now back to the episode: I was horrified and angry that they basically turned Jeff evil but after pondering over it over the holiday break, I have to say I'm not hating the idea at all. And if done right Jeff might actually turn out to be a great villain. Which is what this show really needs. It also really sucks because I was kind of shipping Fallon & Jeff at one point, but now I'm firmly in the Michael/Fallon boat. At this point I'm just waiting for Fallon to find out about Jeff's true master plan and just rip into him.

Monica, however, is another story. This is going to sound weird but practically from day one I felt like there was something really off about her, like she seemed very fake to me. I never understood why Fallon was even friends with her in the first place. I mean, as horrible as Fallon is at times, Monica doesn't exactly strike me as a supportive or loyal friend. Every so often I've noticed that she had a bit of a tendency to basically bad mouth Fallon, even as so far as to warn Jeff about her. And now that she has hooked up with Michael... I'd say that she's a huge hypocrite big time, considering that just before that she made this whole big speech to Fallon about what an awful friend she was. Also aren't friends not supposed to go after another friend's exes?

Also regarding Steven's story arc as a relapsing drug addict, I find it refreshing that a character like him is having this kind of storyline and I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be Fallon because it would've been way too predictable. This turn also allows Steven to have real flaws that make him more relatable to viewers.

On an off-one note I'm also enjoying Sammy Jo & Anders' friendship.

Like I said before, I also like Fallon the most of all of the characters on the show and I also like that the writers are mellowing her out a bit because her being a total mean girl 24/7 can get pretty tiring after a while. She's very determined, ambitious, engaging, very charismatic and I find her one liners really funny a lot of the time. Elizabeth Gillies does such a great job with her and I've pretty much fallen in love with her as a character, despite some flaws. I hope the writers continue to do well by her and I hope for great things for her in the future.

Also Michael... can I say that he's one of the best male characters I've seen on T.V. in a very long time? Too often in soaps nowadays leading men are either dumb baffoons, abusive psychopaths or both. Michael so far is neither of those and that's very refreshing. Also I've grown to really like him with Fallon and I liked how their arc has developed. I really hope the writers don't entirely close the door on them because there are so many great stories they can do with these two if given the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,400
    For me Fallon and Cristal are still the two things I cant totally get on board with. I think that Fallon is very one dimensional. Those lines she comes off with are so cringe worthy bad. Her whole Mean Girls shtick is very dated. Original recipe Fallon could be a spoiled brat but she didn't come off as a dumb bitch. She was so much more to begin with, insanely bright and yet a brittle bitch that would lash out and wound when threatened or cornered. This Fallon is nowhere near that in terms of character. The teen characters on Riverdale come off so much more nuanced and mature and relatable. And nuFallon is what like 10 years older than those kids?
    Cristal is horribly underwritten and underdeveloped. It's mind boggling how she made it so far at Carrington Atlantic. You'd be lead to believe she did in fact sleep her way up the corporate ladder. However I don't think that was the writers intention. That's just what I'm getting from her. This Cristal just doesn't have any gravitas. I think nuDynasty could really benefit from axing the feud between Fallon and Cristal because I have never seen anything as trivial/shallow/stupid. Bring on Alexis I say!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    Sometimes I wish I had been more skeptical instead of optimistic.
    The effect of the "Dynasty remake" has already worn off, and what's left is a very mediocre tv show with a (sorry to say) not-so-talented cast.
    Eventhough I wasn't a fan of Revenge, at least the characters were interesting (or "characteristic").
    Well, it's just started, many tv shows know what they're doing in the first season.
    I wouldn't say that adding more Dynasty characters is a genius masterplan - if anything, they even managed to make these first episodes look a bit random. And this is supposed to be the best part.
    It's also not clever enough to consider it a parody. It feels like a lot of "nothings".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,562
    Willie...NOOOOO! I was kind of relying on you to eventually turn me around in watching this...of course if I get around to subscribing to Netflix. My only reason in subscribing would be to watch Season 2 of "The Crown" as I thoroughly enjoyed the first season when I discovered it was released on DVD...was that a surprise. But right now I'm watching "The Wire". I heard many good things about this show and discovered my elder brother had the complete series. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, so there isn't enough time to be watching other things with Christmas and New Year in the way.

:ny10: from downunder​