nuDynasty Episode Chat S01E18 Don't Con A Con Artist

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by RottenSkipper17, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    I must say this Dynasty is growing on me more and more.
    I gave up on comparing it to the original because that just doesn't make sense. These are other times and what worked then wouldn't work now on TV. Sometimes you just need to let go to be able to give new things a proper chance... which goes for many things in life imo. ;)
    After the episode 13 break nuDynasty got a different tone and some characters were suddenly written much better, most of all Fallon.

Now i'm convinced that Liam is Adam. Because Liam and Fallon were kissing (remember they were on the original as well, before she found out) and the scene right after Alexis tells Steven about Adam. ;) So to me there's no doubt... Liam must be Adam. And Fallon will be disgusted (and torn) by these news very soon.. :D
    I felt very tingly and warm when i saw Blakes' speech to the servants in front of Cristal to be almost an 1:1 copy of that original scene, what a lovely nod to the fans of the original.
    Compared to the first bunch of episodes it took a quite remarkable turn to the better.
    I really love how Joseph is taking Blake back on track when necessary, before with that slap in front of all others and now in this episode again ("I have to talk to you... in private").
    Did you notice that Alexis was the only one so far who Joseph really called Joseph and not A(y)nders? Loved that as well.
    It's far more interesting now than it was at the beginning, but that has nothing to do with the addition of Alexis... it already began with episode 14, the one after the break.
    Now i'm really glad it got renewed, but up until episode 13 i didn't care much.

But he is (or will be) her brother! :eek: :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    And there were a lot of things O.Dynasty did that also didn't work for O.Dynasty.
    Good drama is timeless but I have to say that I usually get it from the classic shows. On the other hand, there are some things they couldn't do or show in the 80s, so I'm just trying to enjoy the best of both worlds.
    I've never objected to the differences between the Dynasties, but NuDynasty has often failed to entertain me as a soap. But it looks like they "get it" now.
    Yes it's more fun if you allow yourself to enjoy new things without being hindered by certain principles or some bizarre loyalty.
    But of course that doesn't mean that you can't apply any standard at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    I'm not so sure Liam will end up being Adam. It looks like it, but they could also be pulling a fast one on us.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    Maybe he's filthy rich!

5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    What is the IQ of peach DYNASTY? I have decided on the Liam test, though he is the sign of an improved tone and tempo--hot as the actor is, he did not turn the show around on his own--there was some reshuffling done. But back to the test:
    Before Liam: single digits
    If Liam is Adam: around average (they are making it obvious)
    if Liam is not Adam but kept around: above average (hard for this team to pull--look at Claudia)
    if Liam is first believed to be Adam but then turns out not to be: high

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    Yeah, but only "high" if they don't come around with that originalDynasty season 7/8 crap with McVane, that he wasn't the baby and then was and at the end wasn't again. Or was it the other way around? I guess even the Pollocks didn't know at the end if Adam really was Adam or not! :re:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    I have to say I'm not invested in Liam being Adam, or him just being Liam. I'm interested in watching what happens, regardless of his real identity. I think the dedication of this reboot to following the blueprints of the original tends to point him toward being Adam, but the show will, at some point, have to create characters/situations that are not mirroring the original. If he is revealed to be Adam, he will get a lot of screen time and likely become a regular cast member. If he is just a new character invented by the show-runners, there is an equal chance that he will get tons of screen time and become a regular cast member because writers tend to "favor" their own creations over the created characters of others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    And the longer he sticks around, the less exciting the explanation will be.
    He still hasn't done anything yet, so anything related to Adam (impostor or not) is going to feel like an afterthought (even if it was carefully planned). "Oh, by the way...yeah I thought, let's try the couch first before I decide to move in permanently".
    Impostors are movers & shakers, he couldn't rely on Fallon to not end the contract already.

If he's Adam but doesn't know he's Adam then it would be a very silly coincidence (season 8 material).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    This felt very much like a parody of DYNASTY rather than a legit storyline

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    Yes, thank god Paulsen took over after that and let Adam be Adam again how we love him - a grumpy, unstable and vicious mess! :kiss: :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    You would cry too if it happened to you.
    First he wasn't Michael Torrance, and then he wasn't Adam Carrington - this can't be good for a man's self-esteem.
    There was something funny and exciting about it but - Dynasty being Dynasty - the entire plotline was dismissed when the Carringtons adopted him.
    The message being, it doesn't really matter. And that's what made it such a tacky storyline.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Dw725

Dw725 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's not necessarily obvious to CW viewers though. I truly doubt that there's more than 10,000 viewers out of the ratings(small as they are) know the Dynasty bible. To be real most avid Dynasty watchers at the time are dead.

I have wondered if his name is Liam bc you can't have 2 Michaels on a show in its first season. Liam is 4 letters out of Michael mirroring the fact that Adam only has 4 characters. It's out there, but something to ponder.

13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    O.Dynasty had THREE Michaels:eck:so much for imagination.

As for CW, I think they want us to guess. If his name was Michael then we already knew.
    Obviously their little scheme didn't work because the topic is hardly discussed at all:NI:.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  14. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    Again: the CW-Ratings mean or say nothing at all. It's almost worldwide on Netflix. Netflix doesn't share viewing numbers, so we know NOTHING.
    But the numbers must be THAT good on Netflix, that it even got a second season, DESPITE the horrible numbers on the (compared to Netflix) meaningless CW. On german Netflix it has a 5 star rating, which means that almost everyone who watched it gave it highest ratings. Now your turn. ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    I hope you were just being facetious when you said that, because otherwise you really need to consult a calendar and a calculator.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Dw725

Dw725 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    A bit, but also being realistic. I'm sorry if you took offense to that.

I'm 34. I watched the original Dynasty last year when I got Amazon Prime. I was a Dallas baby.

The original Dynasty went off the air in 89. That's 29 years ago. Many of the people who watched then probably have no idea about this reincarnation. Or could care anything about it. The people in their 30's then are at least 60 now and don't care about a show on CW. If they did care, it would've been a ratings goldmine for the CW.

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but there are likely a lot of people who were older that watched Dynasty that aren't around today. I don't know the demos of viewers back in the 80s, I actually think they are the same, but the ratings panel has changed so much since then.

Regardless of that, a lot of people are set in their ways. Dallas(the reboot) actually had better ratings but it also had original characters and certain plot lines that continued. It got cancelled after season 3 but had better ratings