nuDynasty Episode Chat S02E06 That Witch

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by tommie, Nov 16, 2018.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,329

Only a few hours until a new episode of SMASHHITNASTY honey bunnies! :cool1

2. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    General Hospital has a comic Thanksgiving tradition where the Quartermaine family tries to get together for dinner but, for a myriad of reasons over the decades, the whole effort becomes a disaster. They always end up ordering pizza. On NuDynasty, I propose a similar tradition that involves Claudia Blaisdel turning up to pop off a few rounds, maybe a tornado warning or two (hey, they're Carringtons--just one tornado would be lame)...maybe even a slow gas leak from the overworked ovens in the kitchen.

For this tradition, I would be eternally thankful.

PS: "Killer Kows From Oz" would have been a better episode title, just sayin'.

PPS: No new episode until November 30--Oh, no! Better stock up on diapers.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,786
    That's just so corny.
    It's always about ordering pizza instead, or the cranberry sauce disaster.
    I hate this. What's the reason this time?

4. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    American holiday thing?

Also, lingon is better than cranberry. Cranberry is the poor man's lingon.

5. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    Black Friday, of course. Also, the last time I checked CW soaps are doing only 8 episodes before Christmas this year (instead of the usual 9), so expect fall finale on December 7th. But the show may come back earlier, the first week of January (instead of the usual mid January return).

6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    #POORLIAM

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    OMG CRISTAL PICKED UP A HORSE PICTURE!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I haven’t seen Ep 6 yet. But I’ve been thinking since the last episode about whether Nathalie Kelly & James Mackay were truly hitting back/hinting at shenanigans by cwExecs to get them/Australians off the show, you know “the rumoured interventions of network executives on actor firings” which, really, come from the fans, not the actors; based on the fans’ fortune-telling interpretations.

What Nathalie Kelley first said was on Instagram just about immediately after the S1 finale aired: “RIP CC.” Then soon after on twitter (or Instagram, or both), she sounded much like she was saying thanks and good-bye. Down the track, in a taped interview, she said “I’ve got my life back”. … Look at the story arc: Cristal I dies. Cristal II appears and her backstory is that she did get her life back at the hospital where she met Cristal I.

But before all that happened (episodes before the S1 finale), RebelHeart here let it be known that Kelley was leaving. And before S2 started, it was again RebelHeart who also brought us the news Mackay had been let go. When I tried to pin down what “let go” meant she claimed that was all she was allowed to say. I didn’t get the impression of an unauthorised snitch. Those early leaks were deliberate and appear authorised -- the only question is by whom: the actor/his team or the show’s official reps.

I’m thinking it was the show’s ploy to try and have the audience grow in numbers, an audience who would be wanting to immediately watch to see what will actually happen. Perhaps it was the show’s play for something along a 2-pronged who-shot-JR-type phenomenon: first, it was Will Cristal truly die? & Who dunnit (the fire); then it was, Will JM really leave? & Has Steven been written out for good?

I think the actors – Kelley & Mackay & de la Fuente – were wanting to help out with the promo, but Kelley said too much, and Mackay learnt from her mistakes. But the S2 premiere was spoilt by having too much revealed: between the trailer that was briefly on youtube and got yanked quick (but not quick enough) and what de la Fuente released on his social media. (Perhaps, hence why Fallon’s and Alexis’s digs at Sam Jo’s Instagram postings?)

James Mackay’s ‘final’ episode aired, and then on twitter, he offered 2 tickets to a show he couldn’t make, and said he was gutted. (Were we to assume he was gutted he couldn’t make the show, or was he gutted about something and so he wasn’t in the mood to make the show?) The he said cryptically on Instagram: “While Steven had a choice to leave, unfortunately I didn’t.”

Folk here have assumed cwExec shenanigans because he added: “There’s a lot of decisions involved in making television, and sometimes they just don’t go your way and you have to live with it. …” And, he also said later on social media to Kelley: “They have got to stop firing all the Aussies.”

I think he teased; that he really meant how the Aussie actors are on the incidental receiving end of how story arcs were planned, not that there was/is a purge of ‘bad’ actors or ‘foreign’ actors (Alan Dale is a Kiwi, long-time in Oz.) Because...

I’m reminded that in his Jan 7th 2018 interview with Deadline, regarding Cristal I, Mark Pedowitz said "the decision to recast the pivotal character was creatively driven, adding that it was made midway through the first season. ‘It’s a wild soap,’ Pedowitz said of the twist. ‘These are things you do on a soap.’" https://deadline.com/2018/01/the-cw...s-valor-fate-sabrina-move-netflix-1202237432/

9. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,786
    OK, that's acceptable.
    But I totally disagree with this. This never happened to the old soaps and there's no excuse for such a long break, least of all the continuing stories.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    WELL - this is completely random.

Dynasty will have it's "winter finale" on 7th December.

And then return on January 18th.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,786
    Oh f*** winter finales! Never heard of such a stupid thing.

12. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    They have 22 episodes that need to be spread out until May.

13. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,033
    It has been very common in American TV for many seasons. One of the shows that started it (and even started using that term) is Grey's Anatomy, but ABC used to really mess up their schedule and even have another show run in its time slot for some time, so they wanted a cliffhanger to keep viewers anticipating the return. Now the reason is merely stretching out the episodes like @tommie said.

14. Michael Yule Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,033
    Well, it was a mediocre episode: nothing as bad as episode 4 but nothing as exciting as episode 3 either. The episode spent a lot of its time on the Wizard of Oz fantasy, a sure sign that the writers did not have enough actual plot. And it's too bad: they could have shown us what the hell is happening with the Colbys (news flash for the dinner: they are family too), for instance, or have Claudia do more than stand around making her baby cry. That Culhane's family did not even mention the father dying because of the C.A. cover-up is peach Dynasty once again being a land of no consequences: no matter what you do in one episode, the next one is a complete reset. @Snarky's Ghost had said in a thread that in old TV he had found soaps more realistic than the stand alone dramas in a way, because in those a character would be shot in one episode and not even have a scar the next. Well, peach Dynasty is pretty much unlike a soap in that aspect: the show reboots itself every episode so, to quote Freddy Mercury, nothing really matters. In one, it is a classic soap drama complete with twists and revelations and blasts from the past. Next, it is a screwball comedy in Paraguay. Then, it is a pretext for a Wizard of Oz goof for Fallon.

We have two weddings planned for the future: Fallon and Michael, and Blake and Cristal 2.0. What are the chances both will happen?
    While Liam's appearance in the oz dream was as goofy as all of it, his voice sure sounded sexy as hell. After Matthew, that is now a count of two sexy and alluring men the show eliminated. Good job, peach Dynasty.

Alexis in that trailer is still awful to watch and a painful comparison of the studio in the classic show. I am not too invested in the baby, because I know how quickly this show likes to wrap up its plots and move on to more important issues (like, perhaps an upcoming Glee homage!)

15. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Oh, Blake and Cristal 2.0's wedding will definitely happen. It has to because the status quo of this show demands it happen! LOL! As for Fallon and Michael, even with Liam out of the picture, there's no guarantee that this couple will even make it to the altar. I'm still waiting for either Michael to find out at the worst possible time that Fallon kissed Liam and dump her on the spot or for him to be killed during one of Ada's dangerous missions.

Either way it really doesn't matter because it's clear to me that this show has definitely lost its way at this point. The higher ups have clearly lost faith in this show and it's almost like they just don't care, and to me that's really sad. If Dynasty does end up writing out Michael before the season's over, I just want Fallon to be in business stories for a little while until the show can come up with a viable and well-written love interest for her, (if that even happens). I don't want her in any romantic entanglements for a while. She needs a long break in the romance department. I want to see the bitch boss who rules in business dealings back, not this pathetic sack that's replaced her.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,786
    Like I said, fabulous pulp based on soap.
    I find it difficult to invest in the characters, something that happens naturally when I watch a (traditional) soap. I don't feel that the story is going anywhere, or that it should.

It's 45 minutes of wackiness and I just want to be entertained. But after that, nothing lingers and nothing matters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Yule Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,033
    Well, as we know, you and I have different definitions of fabulous. Even if I wanted to see wacko Dynasty as "no story, no character, just fun," I'd want something witty and really funny to be part of the show.

The execs here had an amazing opportunity: unlike other shows, they apparently had no ratings pressure: they were guaranteed at least one season (and it looks like more than even two) to put on the show they wanted to put on. Rarely does a show-runner have that freedom. What they did with it is sadder than Fallon's tired psychotherapist one-liner.

18. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    Well, once you see the episode, you will realize I was not putting that much thought into my remark.
    Register or to view Spoiler content!
    I just thought it was a wacky means to an end.

Though all shows with 22-episode seasons struggle to cover an entire season (which has roughly 35 weeks in it), it is extremely unusual for a show to intentionally "sit out" parts of November Sweeps. It's usually when they want to make their biggest splash (plot-wise) in order to jack up ratings (and thus jack up the rates for the commercials). I can understand sitting out Christmas and New Year's, since fewer people are watching overall. If sitting out Thanksgiving allows them to stretch out the season into May Sweeps, then I guess it would all balance out, though. Perhaps the Netflix $$$ is sufficient that they don't have to twist themselves in knots over every ratings point and uptick/downtick in the ad rates.

19. jeromeGB

jeromeGB Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Loved Sam’s ‘two Fallons’ remarks...!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,786
    I get the idea that they like what they're doing, that this is how they want it to be.
    A creative vision can be disliked, but it's never wrong.

• Like Like x 1