nuDynasty Episode Chat S02E06 That Witch

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by tommie, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,966
    Medals:
    Knowing the condition of Alexis's maternal instinct, she will probably try to pawn the kid.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,249
    I'm assuming Steven has left Sam his credit card for incidentals.....:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Normally I'm the biggest cheerleader for this show, but I'm not impressed with season two. It isn't as bad as some sophomore slumps, but the show has no momentum or tune-in-tomorrow factor to keep me going. Six episodes in we should have a clear view of where the characters are going, but we don't. Besides Fallon and Blake I feel everybody is treading water. They still haven't wrapped up the cliffhanger drama for Alexis and she still has no love life and no money. She's a joke and making no progress, which I feel is either sexist and ageist or simply them not understanding how important Alexis should be. The Colbys are gone and with Steven gone I feel Sam has been muted a bit since he has no husband to bounce off.

I'm gonna need them to get it together before this holiday break. There's no reason the show should be this boring.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Too early to tell in this instance: S&S haven't a stake in it ...and I'm betting Steven has learnt his lesson; and that Sam, judging from what he said to Kirby, knows that the kitty must be paid back.
    I guess you speak from hearing about the episode vicariously.
    Really?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  5. ChrisSumner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +226
    No I was speaking from watching it. The Colby's aren't truly "good" as in written off, but they're extras this season so they may as well be. Fallon giving Alexis money for a pay off still doesn't tell me she's going to be wealthy, unless I missed the details of how much money she was given. The problem with her is that she has no power. She's just a nuisance. I feel people should be intimidated by Alexis and she should have power to stand up to Blake, Fallon or Cristal as needed.

6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    Medals:
    Wasn't there supposed to be a hot male nanny appearing this season? Now we all know why. ^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I apologise.

No, you didn't miss the details of how much money Alexis received. But we do know she looked taken aback at the amount. And we know the size of the cheque she wrote. My feeling is she didn't leave herself broke. Though I agree, wealthy may not be what she is now.
    Based on the last couple of episodes, I'd say it is Claudia's cliff-hanger drama that hasn't been wrapped up, rather than Alexis's; though the latter can still be revisited if Blake wants to pursue Hank.
    I still don't get why Blake, at the start of the season, entertained doubts that Hank wasn't Adam ("Adam or not") when last season he'd accepted that he was. What changed? Yes, I know police suspected Hank of shooting Celia (and presumably of setting the fire too since no one else was mentioned as a suspect) -- but that seems to be only because Hank vanished when he should have stuck around; presumably it was his absence which made him seem the guilty party. But I don't recall any reason being given to the family for his motive. So, only Alexis knows his part, including what he's told her.
    And, I find it unbelievable that the crazy woman the Carringtons had 'institutionalized' haven't found out yet that she'd escaped. Or, are we going to find out down the track that S2 Blake knew more than he'd let on?
    I guess no point in wishing cwDynasty gets it together in the way some of us want them to. They're clearly marching to the beat of their own drum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,807
    But we know already that she will marry a powerful man who will then expire. ;)

9. ChrisSumner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I just need it to happen already LOL! We can reasonably surmise she won't marry Blake, because they wouldn't kill him off, but what other rich man could she marry that would die? Liam? Jeff? They haven't given us any indication that it's anybody other than Blake. I guess I'm just impatient as a huge fan of not only Alexis but Nicollette Sheridan. She's capable of so much more than they give her. I feel they're basing the writing for her more on her work on Desperate Housewives, but as a Knots Landing fan, she can easily play a classy upper class snob without a hint of trashiness. Basically, I want them to give her the depth they've given Blake because I know she can handle it.

And don't get me wrong I do still love the show, I'm just wanting more. I watch each episode and I still enjoy it, I just need a little bit more soap. I felt like with season one each week was so excruciating as I waited for the next episode, but here I am okay waiting. Hell, this week I was so busy I didn't watch it until monday. I love the show I just need them to start moving the stories forward.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    I don't feel it's written as a "story", but the same applies to season 1.
    Although there's something to be said for having absolutely no idea what to expect.
    Apparently they are familiar with O.Dynasty so why wouldn't they understand?
    This is the Fallon Show, not the Alexis Show, therefore the story dictates what kind of character Alexis should be, not vice versa.
    Kirby's storyline painted Alexis as a true villain, to the other Carringtons she's nothing but a PITA. Again, we have no idea what to expect.
    They're not as all-important as we thought they would be, but I don't mind watching the Carringtons associate with some familiar faces every now and then.
    C-A has been sold, everyone got their money so at this moment there's no storyline for them. At least they're not stalling the episodes with unnecessary filler scenes.
    Maybe the situation is going to heat up when (or if) Dominique arrives.
    Indeed.

While I agree that this was not the most exciting episode, narrative-wise it made sense because it dealt with (and wrapped up) Fallon's dilemma.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,558
    It's not going to happen. They don't understand the basics of soap storytelling. But you can follow other posters who found fun rationalizing its absence of any direction, like an abused woman defending her man and saying she was just clumsy and fell down the stairs, and the rest of you whiny self-pity bitches don't understand what she's got.

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    I honestly don't know what they do or don't understand, but I feel this is what they want it to be - soap or not.
    Fun? No, it's more like accepting that it's never going to be what I wanted it to be. It relaxes me and it even allows me to enjoy it for what it is (not exactly the most complimentary thing to say, is it?)

But does NuDynasty really disappoint? We had already discussed every aspect even before the first episode aired, and most of us disapproved of this remake.
    (the fact that it was a remake, wrong network, wrong actors etc etc).
    And the very first episode sort of confirmed those negative thoughts.

It's not like it started out as a fantastic soap and then deteriorated (like O.Dynasty)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,558
    I don't think this is the way they want it to be. I think you are ascribing them more motives and intent than they even know exist in the universe. If they had created the show they wanted from the beginning, they would not have ousted the first Cristal after seeing what a failure they made her. Their attempts to make it a tighter show around the time Alexis appeared, and even their PR campaign saying they were now focusing on Fallon and Alexis instead of Fallon and Cristal, was admission of their failure at the first half of the season. Many of us here are frustrated because after showing promise that they were getting the hang of it, they then blew it again--in this they are like late DYNASTY, where after a revived season 6B they again messed it up for 7B.

As for expecting it to be a failure: the discussions here really took off after the trailer showing a bitchy Fallon and an equally bitchy Cristal in a catfight on day one. Many of us saw the wrong tone for the show and characters, and we proved right. Their Cristal is now out the door, after they made her so unrecognizable they had to create ANOTHER Cristal. Sorry, but nobody can convince me of a reality where "that is what they were planning all along."

But I understand your accepting viewpoint, I just don't believe that means I don't get to criticize when I watch it (I no longer plan to).

I agree that its course was different from DYNASTY. It was also different from any show on the CW that actually got some ratings--and the network is so small and its ratings bar so low, the fact they could not even pass that speaks volumes. As @tommie has said, this is more about CBS figuring out their netflix deal is making them money even it is a ratings disaster. And I repeat, that given such a lack of pressure to get the ratings, they could have created the show they wanted, instead of going back to the drawing board every few episodes.

Ok, you are right. It just sounds like you have a different view of it in other posts. For instance, when @ChrisSumner said that they had no idea where the characters were going after six episodes, your response was "Although there's something to be said for having absolutely no idea what to expect." That sounds like an endorsement to me-endorsing the cluelessness of it.

14. ChrisSumner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +226
    When it comes to not knowing what to expect, I feel that only works on a character driven show. When they do that here it just feels like plot points are thrown out and then there is a small putter of fallout but in the end it’s status quo. Like with Alexis and her future husband. Chances are it’ll be a new character, but why not keep Liam’s uncle alive or introduce a few other male characters so you can build relationships and then when they decide to go through with it your audience already knows all the people involved.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    Oh, maybe you're right. It's just that we don't know for sure.
    When I say "I have no reason to believe that they don't know what they're doing" then I'm not referring to every specific storyline.
    What I mean is the tone of the show, what kind of show it's supposed to be.
    I don't know the exact circumstances, but I agree it's a very odd scenario.
    Again, I agree, it seems highly unlikely, especially since it didn't result in a follow-up plotline (I don't consider a blatant replacement a "plotline").
    And my feedback was far from positive, btw.

It should be noted that what we considered the Cristal Failure was not the actress but the fact that she was Hispanic (in our early discussions, anyway).
    No-one's suggesting that you shouldn't critize NuDynasty.
    Actually it's you who's calling me out every time I post something positive. But I'm a big boy, I can handle it:D
    I have already mentioned in another thread that I'm watching this without any hope or anticipation because this is not the kind of show that triggers those feelings.
    ("nothing lingers, nothing matters")
    But that doesn't mean I'm not curious. After all, it's still Dynasty.
    You seem to interpret my quote "they know what they're doing" as "they're doing a great job".
    Being smart or talented is not required in order to believe in one's achievements.

Cynthia Cidre was also accused of "not knowing what she's doing" - and who knows, maybe she wasn't - but NuDallas turned out to be a great soap.
    There are various examples of great songs that were released by the record companies despite the protest of the artist (and they often never stopped hating that great song).
    So, ultimately, what does it all mean? Whose authority is the best authority?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,558
    Ok, I don't have the same curiosity. I mean, there is a lot of fan fiction Dynasty that I don't bother reading. The peach concoction is done by people who know the original really well (Cidre didn't) so I can see that one would care to find out what they are doing if they like all permutations of the show. I mean, as you very well know, the connection to DYNASTY was not by itself enough to make me like THE COLBYS.

Huh? On this forum? I don't remember seeing much reaction to that. All the flurry of reaction was after the trailer and the tone it set--two bitchy women going at it,and these two being Fallon and Cristal/Krystle, two of the truly original characters of DYNASTY reduced to REAL HOUSEWIVES clones.

Well, I completely disagree with that. It wasn't much of a soap at all. It was a (silly) drug crime drama already by season two, with the pretext of the Ewings to keep the show going.

The public everyone now and then has something to say, tuning bad shows off and leading to much-deserved cancellations. Look at the huge ratings with which TNT Dallas started and what happened the more and more Cidre morphed it into her show. If peach Dynasty did not have the Netflix deal, it would already have been dead in the water.

Other than that, we are all authorities of our own tastes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,558
    Prove it! :D

No, my last post was a reaction to you responding to every single comment another poster, @ChrisSumner made (who even made a declaration of liking the show!) with trying to spin every criticism they made into something less negative.

18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    How dare I!
    Action-reaction, that's the nature of discussions. I thought I was being very on-topic, rather than discussing the poster or his motives.

19. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,558
    Just admit that you can't show me you are a big boy! :p

But I brought up poster motives in the peach Dynasty discussion after the poster had explicitly brought them up:

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    I was referring to my unfulfilled desires, my misinterpretations, my exhausing self-pity and my queenie bitch drama.

So...I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here :)

• Funny Funny x 2