nuDynasty Episode Chat S02E11 The Sight Of You

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by tommie, Jan 25, 2019.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,800
    Medals:
    It's girls night on Dynasty - or is it!

[​IMG]

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,467
    Medals:
    I usually like the avant-garde things Monica wears, but that one's a bit too much for a girl her age.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  3. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,800
    Medals:
    ... or is it?

4. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    Medals:
    No, Monica is just so much ahead of everyone else on the show... the outfit fits.
    When i think about it, then Monica seems to me like the most decent and clever character on the show.
    She always knows what's going on and often with 5 words says so much more than (for example) Fallon with a whole page of monologue.
    Plus, she's the only one of the whole bunch that i could really imagine to be playing an important part on the originalDynasty. She just oozes class, style and cleverness.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,467
    Medals:
    Tonight's episode is a tribute to Dynasty's lead-out program on the CW....Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.
    Figures they would emulate the one network program with lower ratings than their own. :fp:

Fallon's running gag with Cristal 2.0 (wanting to touch Cristal's hair) never ceases to make me laugh out loud. Maybe Monica adopted the turban because she doesn't want Fallon touching her hair, too.

Sam and Alexis are not as fun as Sam and Anders, but I guess Sam needs a scene partner in Steven's (glaring) absence. Thank goodness Sam dumped her for greener (whiter?)pastures with the gals. The customer survey Ashley fills out ought to be one for the ages. Then again, if Alexis had come along on their trip, poor Ashley would have ended up under a Zamboni machine, so maybe she got off easy.

My my...these kittens have claws. They went straight from the slopes to bar-room brawls...a great scene. And the show really did need some bonding opportunities for the gals. Call it Dynasty's attempt to recapture the magic of Knots Landing's The Three Sisters episode. :)

We even got some introspection from...of all people, Alexis. Of course her "moment of clarity" only brought her a new resolve to ruin Cristal 2.0, so it's nothing ground-breaking for her.

And from the shallow end of the pool: Liam in a turtle neck sweater. Yum.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Luuro

Luuro Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Whoever made this show even remotely funny clearly jumped ship last season because this season keeps trying and failing.

7. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,800
    Medals:
    I love Cristal's hair - you know poor Ana Brenda spends hours on straightening that mess out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,800
    Medals:
    "I feel directionless" - Alexis.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Decent episode sliding back into the more self contained nature of the first half of the season. I always hated these special episodes of the prime time soaps but this was fine considering what we’re used to. I mostly enjoyed the beefing up of Monica’s character. It’s nice that we have a more clear understanding of who she is as a person and why she’s the way she is. I also am happy her relationship with Fallon is back on track. For season three she needs to be on contract with an expanded role.

I’ll also say that they blew their wad with Kirby and I wouldn’t mind if she either left or was reduced to recurring. She randomly pops up but I see little use to her in the overall scheme of things.

The lack of momentum in the show makes me feel like this is a daytime soap with 200 episodes a year not 22 episodes in prime time. Sam is just languishing without Steven which means his reveal better be huge to sideline him this long. I could understand if it was done because you had an exciting story for Sam that required Steven being out of the picture, but he’s literally doing nothing. It would also help to see Steven more and play onto the mystery of what he’s doing. You don’t have to reveal the secret, but show him interacting with people and let us know what’s going on in his mind.

I’m not even going to get into Alexis, that is clearly a lost cause. Only thing I will say, is if they wanted to make her a lady of leisure who doesn’t work, they should look at Beverlee McKinsey in Another World. It could work but you’d have to be interested in writing for her.

Overall this cast has some great actors, but they aren’t challenged at all. Nicolette Sheridan, Alan Dale and Grant Show in particular i feel could add such gravitas if written for.

10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    That is exactly right. The show is, as Alexis called herself, directionless.

Frankly, I did not mind most of the show--probably because I expect nothing remotely good from it, so not being utterly hideous is stepping up to the plate for them.

The girls' trip was actually enjoyable, albeit completely implausible, especially with the addition of Cristal and the ludicrous attempts at humour with the hair references. The Karaoke act was a little bit of Paraguay in Idaho. Speaking of--why not Colorado? But overall the interactions were good.

The actor who plays Sam has obvious charisma. He just makes scenes bearable, but he needs to be something other than various people's sidekick.

I liked Fallon's story. She has been a spoiled rich brat who always gets her way so long, it was good to see Liam call her on it. And while I like Liam (and the actor) I thought the last line uttered by him was typical peach Dynasty overkill: Liam can be disgusted, but he would never be cruel based on what we saw. Fallon was obviously down at that point, there was no reason to drive over her body as he metaphorically did.

Why does the show keep coming up with ways to get Culhane involved? He has become a black hole (no pun intended). Meanwhile, just the mention of Dominique makes the Colbys interesting again, and I like Monica's bigger role, but the show botched it badly with Alexis. Then again so did the real Dynasty with Dominique, so in ironic reversal maybe they get this one actually right. After all, I like their Kirby more than original Kirby--though again, another character who is just wallpaper, and there is an ever-growing list of them. I mean, do we even miss Anders when he is not around? And after reading that Steven was around last week, somehow I thought he would be around now as well--fat chance.

Also, Ashley did not seem that different from Fallon as a personality. Liam sure knows how to pick them. Instead of making her look like a troll, the show could have had Sam and Kirby expose her personality to Liam with a recording--nah, that sounds like it made too much narrative sense for the peach cobbler to go for it.

Finally, the Blake and Cristal final scene was so predictable: if Blake feels so strongly about the baby, you don't let his excitement build even more before bursting his bubble. Such contrived complications are very much the staple of daytime drama--of 80s daytime drama.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    The moment Alexis spouted the word "directionless" was exactly what I have been looking for to best sum up this reboot. And it might have just been me but Nicolette's delivery gave me the sense she (not the character) meant every word.

Overall another flat episode. Where is the common thread? In their hayday Dallas, Dynasty and others may have had characters travel away from home but it always related to what was going on back at Dallas or Denver. This episode felt like another stand-a-lone. For a girl (Fallon) who couldn't decide what to pack for the ski fields she spent the better part in the hotel lobby. Again. What is the fixation the writers have in Fallon playing dress ups?

In this episode I appreciated Monica. Give the girl some dialogue and she can deliver - even if its ticking off mommy dearest.

I enjoyed this side of Liam. It showed the guy has variance in his character. I agree it may have been slight overkill to kick Fallon to the curb but in a sense this is exactly how you respond to a whiney, spoilt brat always thinking she can get what she wants.

As for Blake and Michael? Snooze. Kirby? Snooze. Sam? Yawn. I keep asking this question but where is the business angle in this reboot. No one goes to the office. Is it possible the writers think they have us befuddled with the crazy shenanigans and we won't pay detailed attention to what is meant to be about the 1% of the 1% mega rich family? The rate the Carrington family and the extended misfits are burning through dollars we may see this family living on the street by season 3 - if it gets that far.

Score: 4/10

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,737
    Medals:
    I respect you all for being such loyal, die-hard watchers.
    NuDynasty is no longer my problem and I've got to say it feels awesome.

I'll keep reading the entertaining comments though.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    Well, I watched because I read there was Liam. I wish I had known he would have been in the previous one too. But it looks like I can forget about the show again.

Wow--the cliché all these years has been true: one is part of the solution if they are not part of the problem. :D

14. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,737
    Medals:
    He called me a walking cliché! :mad:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  15. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I don't think Liam was too cruel. Fallon deserved it. Besides "Now I can't stand the sight of you" is a line from the old show (Jeff told that to Fallon when he thought she had an abortion).

Also, there were much more illogical reactions in this episode.

Concerning the rest of the episode, there is nothing special to say. It's stupid but watchable like always.

But the lodge was nice. La Mirage should have looked like that.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,467
    Medals:
    I thought it was kind of odd when Liam spoke of how much he preferred the Fallon Carrington that he met--the one who was driven and wanted to conquer the world. His introduction to her involved his willingness to become a part of her underhanded (but inspired) plan to screw over Jeff Colby and humiliate him in front of the whole town.
    From the minute he met her, he knew she was a schemer who gambled big in order to get what she wanted, no matter who got stepped on...and he seemed okay with that. He even went along with that. So how was this any different? She had not changed, but he was telling her she had...and tried to make her feel bad about it when he had previously found it very attractive.

If they're trying to establish Liam as some kind of "moral center" character who would demand that Fallon behave a certain way in order to gain his "approval," then she's better off without him because her antics are one of the better aspects of the show, and turning her into a more traditional soap heroine in order to "earn" the love of Liam sends a bad message--and turns him into a controlling, wet blanket character that flies in the face of his behavior when Fallon met him. Of course if Liam is supposed to be the new version of the original Jeff Colby, maybe they feel they need to transfer that same stick-in-the-mud attitude, too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    From Liam's point of view he could have been lashing out because Fallon had come to party...late. She was well aware how Liam felt about her but she decided to stick with Michael. Speaking of that relationship. Why is it okay for Fallon to be wheeling and dealing behind peoples backs but the moment she catches Michael lying to her she ditches him and goes running to Liam - expecting open arms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    I grew to despise Jeff Colby, so I really hope the one character I find likable in peach Dynasty does not turn out like him.

20. TheWorldaStage

TheWorldaStage Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I enjoyed this episode - probably one of my favourites. Nothing really bothered me for the most part.

I am in agreement that Monica's larger role is a great thing. Was not sure how I felt about her before but I like what is being done now.

• Agree Agree x 1