nuDynasty Episode Chat S204 Snowflakes In Hell

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by tommie, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Lol. Too addicted to go cold turkey and stop watching, eh?

Oh, my bad. Not the first time I've made that mistake. For some reason that's the name that has always wanted to stick in my head, and not "Show".

I guess that was what it was meant to be.
    But oddly enough, I felt offended by how the Building Houses in Paraguay ‘story’ was handled as a whole: was left with the feeling that the real-life efforts of humanitarian relief workers had been trivialised somehow. I especially hated the end of that jaunt: the other family members throwing in the towel and going home I could understand, but not cwSteven. Humanitarian relief projects like that were supposed to be his calling regardless of whether he was part of a dynastic family or not.

And then, when he got home he had an epiphany that he needed to go away by himself to find himself – much like how O.DS9 Steven went on bi-annual walkabouts (unlike his pre-DS9 self) – and he said only then could he focus on Sam and their marriage. Now, Steven’s been married just 5 episodes and you wonder why he couldn’t have had this epiphany before marriage.

I think the demographic the CW is aiming for is more intelligent than they're being given credit for. :)

2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,204
    Medals:
    Oh, i thought it was on purpose and a hint at Jon "you know nuffing" Snow from GOT, that's why i laughed. ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  3. Luuro

Luuro Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +31
    This show is just trying to be heartwarming and nice or whatever. Everyone is simply too damn nice, it's not realistic at all. I can't believe they all basically forgave each other after miserable trip to Paraguay.

The love triangle for Fallon is such a dud. The Van Kirks are a total bore and Culhane's story isn't proving to be very interesting either. Less time should be spent trying to make these characters interesting and more time should be spent replacing them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Enough is enough! As an original Dynasty fan I wanted the reboot to succeed, I forgave the comedy tone in some season 1 episodes, I forgave the white trash Alexis, because I wanted this NuDynasty to continue. It seemed Sallie Patrick & Josh Schwartz (& Stephanie Savage) loved the original soap using classic dialogues as titles for the new or giving us some nods to classic scenes, but a fan or a real admirer of the original Dynasty can't do what they are doing in season 2. I was very optimistic when some old fans and friends told me this reboot is NOT Dynasty, I wanted to believe it could be fixed. But after seeing this last episode I have no hope anymore. I must admit this is NOT Dynasty. Remember the old motto in TVGuide ads? "It's not just drama, it's DYNASTY"... Well, the CW Dynasty "it's not drama... just (silly) comedy (and a narrative havok)"
    I suppose I'll watch the remaining episodes with my saturday breakfast, but sadly no hope anymore... and tolerance just a 1% of the 1% like the new rich people they want to represent. Maybe we must admit once and for all that 80's Primetime Soap Operas were that, good written and acted Soap Operas for the eighties, and can't live or be succesfully reboot out of this decade.

“Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight Dallas, goodnight Dynasty, goodnight noises everywhere.”

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,208
    Medals:
    To be honest I had completely forgotten about all that, so when I watched it about a month ago I just watched it "as is" and I thought the different elements (the couple and friends, the family, the town) worked well together.

Wick was my favourite character but Carla Briggs was super cool too.
    [​IMG]

The daughter and ex-wife were the weakest characters, imo.

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,208
    Medals:
    Just so you know, Mama Ryland is only a phonecall away.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    Clearly the ones Cristal slipped to Blake.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    I don't believe there is any risk of that. This reboot is so bad it makes the original look exceptional, even in its worst seasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I only have one thing to say about this post (and Miss Piggy told me to say it with music and the best possible taste!):

Finally!!​

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    You know, you could be right...or wrong...and I don't mean that with any offence. But let's take a step back and examine what happened with my favourite; Dallas. I had high hopes the continuation would right the wrongs I had with Lorimar Dallas towards its inevitable end, plus the movies. I really wanted it to succeed, but what was eventually offered was not - in my opinion - the essence of Dallas. And others on this site will argue with me on that point, and rightly so. Simply put the wrong person was in charge of that continuation.

With this version of Dynasty I also suspect many on this site pinned their hopes on this reboot succeeding where the original had failed. I'll be honest I didn't stick around with old Dynasty like I did with Dallas but I did appreciate those early seasons...before the silliness crept in.

Which begs the question. We have people (think Showrunners, Executive Producers, Writers) who have been in this industry long enough to have an understanding of what makes for compelling viewing. It's just not happening. I've read some of the Soapchat Posters own fan fiction and by far it's ahead of this nonsense in leaps and bounds. So how the hell can they (Showrunners, Executive Producers, Writers) stuff it up? Clearly they're out of step with what the public would like to see regarding the two juggernauts of Primetime Soap; Dallas and Dynasty.

Ratings don't lie. If the hierarchy are not receiving the message they need to step aside or find another industry to work in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,354
    Medals:
    What's wrong with me that I didn't see why this episode was any worse than the others...?

I mean, not that I really liked it or anything.

But everybody else seems to agree it was off-the-charts horrible, leaving me to think there's a dog whistle out there whose pitch I just can't quite hear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,625
    Medals:
    While I agree that the episode seemed to be all over the place, I'm not heading for the lifeboats just yet.

Issue One: Michael's plotline for the episode seemed like a long (too long) set-up for things to come. We didn't know any of these people (save Jeff, who seemed tossed in simply to remind us he's still around), and Michael's success or failure really would not have bothered me one way or the other. In other words, viewers had no "stake" in his caper, so it fell flat. I'm going to assume this was a dry run for something bigger later in the season. It has shades of Ben Gibson's plotline in his final season of Knots Landing, where the evil woman controlling him starts him out with small tasks, then eventually manipulates him into trying to kill a core cast member. I'm just wondering which one it will be. She and her goons may have messed with/rewrote the contract that Max Van Kirk signed that allowed the sale of C-A (she had it in her possession, then seemed perfectly okay with giving it back without demanding money). It would seem that Fallon might be the target, which would be...problematic since Michael wants to marry her. If it voids the sale of C-A to the Van Kirks, then I'm okay with it, since the "family company" not being the family's company is just...wrong.

Issue Two: Paraguay...really? The story would have been pretty much the same if they'd claimed that the homes were being built in Tennessee or Kentucky, so there has to be some unseen (thus far) significance to sending Steven and Co. to the Southern hemisphere--and sending him back. A simple trip to Appalachia would not have forced the eye-rolling scenario of them all finding each other so easily after traveling so far. I knew the producers would not be able to resist the "plush tent" thing with masseurs, etc. because that seems to be their obsession, but it pushed an already hard-to-believe scenario right over the edge. I was briefly having flashbacks to another Knots plot---Paige and Michael in Sant Tecla, but even Santa Tecla was a multi-episode event. This one-and-done trip to "Paraguay" (with north Georgia standing in) had to be setting up something bad happening to Steven in a land far, far away, making it harder for them to find him/save him/keep him safe/whatever.

Issue Three: I love you/I hate you/I love you again/until I hate you again: Blake's mood swings remind me of a toddler. It's not just this episode, of course, but it really was showcased here with his behavior toward Anders. He tosses things, he insults Anders in front of the staff (those slams in front of the guy interviewing for Anders's job were hilarious, but still...) and changes his mind (between burning hatred and total devotion) in the span of a commercial break. We saw him do this with Celia/Cristal too, but it wasn't as odd when you consider they'd only just gotten married. Blake and Anders go back decades, but Blake can't act like a grown-up? It's hard to invest in Blake's feelings (that is, sympathize) when they change on a dime. When he's in a "hate you" mood he really enjoys 'hating' on people. The hatred comes so easily for him that when he changes his mind and claims he loves the person again, I tend to think "...until I find another excuse to rake you over the coals".

Issue Four: Where are we headed? By the fourth episode, we should have a good grasp of what they're planning for the season. Instead, I have even less grasp of the direction of the series than I did before I watched this episode. The de-emphasis on what should be a momentous event--the sale of the family company--leads me to believe they don't plan on making the sale actually occur (or at least make it stick). If the Van Kirks were meant to be a permanent addition, they would not have been written like that. The jettisoning of Melissa, Steven's "de-fathering" of her baby, and his paternity reveal all scream "They're getting rid of him". The only thing they didn't do to sever all ties was making him and Sam break up somehow. Yet...if they wanted to get rid of Steven for some reason, they could have just killed him in the fire. So all I can imagine is that they're going to recast. Similarly, I'm not seeing the long-term value of Kirby. So far she's just a spoiled brat who sulks around all day. This episode, more than many, seemed to be tossing everything out there and hoping some of it sticks to the wall. I can count on one hand the number of plots that currently make me think "Oh, I wonder what they plan for him/her/this?" There ought to be more things going on that makes the viewer want to tune back in for answers to their questions.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    That would be the same dog whistle most of us responded to back in 2012 when episode 2 of TNT Dallas aired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    Well...I'm not heading towards it but I do have it on standby.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    If the producers are thinking of another recast and the plastic surgery route I will pull the ripcord on that lifeboat.

16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,354
    Medals:
    Oh, I heard that one.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +271

I think its because nuDynasty has quickly reached the OTT silliness, that oldDynasty never did. Even despite Moldavia, the two Krystles, the alien abduction and the brainwashed Killer Krystle in a nightie, oldDynasty was played straight, whereas nuDynasty is played for comedy at the expense of dramatic effect.

The balance between comedy and drama is difficult to achieve - Desperate Housewives just about pulled it off.

I do find Elisabeth Gillies, Adam Huber, Ana Brenda Contreras and even Nicolette Sheridan watchable.

I think we just have to except it's a show called Dynasty with the same character names, and that despite the many Easter eggs and homage references, bears little resemblance to the spirit of the original.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,354
    Medals:
    But to me, that whimsical, semi-comic tone is nearly every show in the last few years.

I mean, I've never liked it (and that's why I didn't care for DH) but it's just how they do things now. And for some reason, I didn't pick up on the superlative awfulness of this week's nuDYNASTY installment.

Not that I liked it, either...

19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,208
    Medals:
    Say about DH what you like, but their seasons were always carefully plotted (or at least that was my impression).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    I don't mind the comedy/drama aspect if that's the premise I'm being offered from the get go. Sometimes this approach works, sometimes it doesn't. It reminds me when a sitcom suddenly becomes serious. For some strange reason the drama aspect then packs an almighty punch. But it doesn't always work the other way round. When I'm watching an adult drama and suddenly a comedy routine is thrown in it doesn't always sit well, but it can if it's played absolutely straight. Kind of like this;

• Agree Agree x 2